Notices

New to forums day 111

Old 05-14-2016, 11:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to forums day 111

So I am new to the forums and SR was recommended by a friend. I have a few questions.

I am not on any medication (tried several they made me loony), and I still struggling with anxiety. I went through it before and thought maybe I was getting better, then boom, it hit me again last week. How long does this go on?

Also, it seems that people in AA are really against newbies talking about treatment. I feel they think newbies should white- knuckle it as some form of sick initiation. I know it's a spiritual program, but how much can I engage the steps if I am in constant anxiety and depression?

Finally, does any one know of any alternative treatments that have worked for them? I am seriously sensitive to AD's but I got to do something to alleviate this torture.

Thanks for your answers.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, Avalauren, and welcome to SR! This is a great community and there's a lot of support here.

Many people here, including me, use meditation as one of the tools for our sobriety. Here's a link to a thread that included some good tips:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5929028

In terms of your anxiety, it's natural for early sobriety to be something of a rough haul, though compared to active alcoholism ... well, the choice is pretty clear. In addition to meditation, some of the simplest approaches can be the most helpful. Take a good walk -- get lots of fresh air and sunlight. Eat nutritiously. Get plenty of water.

I'm not in AA but plenty of our members here have transformed their lives through it. They're better suited to answer any questions you have about AA.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome AvaLauren

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
Old 05-14-2016, 12:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Have you ever been in counseling for your anxiety? I saw a counselor for about five years and she was very helpful.

Congrats on 111 days sober!
Old 05-14-2016, 01:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You mentioned you have tried anti-depressants. Have you tried Cipralex (it may have a different name in the USA)? It is an anti-depressant...for depression and anxiety. Also its side effects aren't as severe as other anti-depressants.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

have you tried different AA meetings? There shouldn't be a hazing period for newcomers. It's all about the newcomer.