Notices

Interesting AA meeting

Old 05-07-2016, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Interesting AA meeting

One of my biggest fears is I would see someone I know at a meeting. This morning I went to a closed meeting. For those who aren't familiar with AA, closed meetings are for alcoholics only. Open meetings are for anyone, alcoholic or not.

So I get there about 1 minute late and a couple of minutes later a couple sat down behind me. It was my upstairs neighbor and her husband!!! Initially I was mortified. The whole meeting I couldn't get it out of my mind that my neighbors were behind me. I've kept my drinking a secret from everyone. Now they knew. I just moved there 6 months ago, but I've chatted with them casually. I like them. It was a closed meeting so obviously I'm there because I am an alcoholic. The things running through my head....

So after the meeting she was so friendly and sweet. She's been sober a few years and gave me her phone number. Even told me if I needed to I could knock on her door. Totally no judgement or looking down at me came from her. I feel better about the whole situation, but I'm nervous about seeing them again when I'm at home. I'm sure it will be fine. This has just gotten me out of my comfort zone.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Get back in your comfort zone because you just met people who can support you, understand you and be there for you. You have met new friends. They live closeby. You are lucky! Embrace it, don't feel uncomfortable. They are in it with you.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sinderos View Post
One of my biggest fears is I would see someone I know at a meeting. This morning I went to a closed meeting. For those who aren't familiar with AA, closed meetings are for alcoholics only. Open meetings are for anyone, alcoholic or not.

So I get there about 1 minute late and a couple of minutes later a couple sat down behind me. It was my upstairs neighbor and her husband!!! Initially I was mortified. The whole meeting I couldn't get it out of my mind that my neighbors were behind me. I've kept my drinking a secret from everyone. Now they knew. I just moved there 6 months ago, but I've chatted with them casually. I like them. It was a closed meeting so obviously I'm there because I am an alcoholic. The things running through my head....

So after the meeting she was so friendly and sweet. She's been sober a few years and gave me her phone number. Even told me if I needed to I could knock on her door. Totally no judgement or looking down at me came from her. I feel better about the whole situation, but I'm nervous about seeing them again when I'm at home. I'm sure it will be fine. This has just gotten me out of my comfort zone.
Congrats on going to the meeting!! Went to my first this week as well.

That may very well be the best thing that could have happened to you that they were there. If you guys click it's great to have someone so close to help you stay Accountable in the early stages of recovery.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Grace!........
Old 05-07-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

At a closed meeting, everyone is there for the same reason. No need to feel ashamed or bad cause your neighbors were there. Could be a good source of support for you.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

They were there for the same reason you were. No reason to feel ashamed or embarrassed.

Good on you for going to the meeting, and good on you for adding another potential source of support to your recovery.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

What a gift to have someone in the program as a neighbor
Old 05-07-2016, 11:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

This post made my day I'm so so happy for you Sinderos go you !!
Old 05-07-2016, 11:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

HOW AWESOME CAN IT GET!!!??

You have recovery friends right upstairs!?

Well... let me tell you what's going on; you're uncomfortable because the addicted mind in you is panicking that this will make it harder for you to set sobriety aside.

It's not really that you're mortified that they saw you - after all, THEY are there as well. THEY are in recovery. They will respect and admire that you're seeking sobriety.

It's not YOU who is mortified.... it's the part of your brain that is still fighting to keep you drinking.

It's the part of you who has been patiently standing by thinking "yeah, that's right... go ahead... go to AA.... take a little break.... you'll drink again soon enough". Because THAT addicted brainzone sees these neighbors as a real and present threat; what if you embrace them as allies in sobriety!! This will work against your addicted voice's Master Plan to get you back into a bottle-fed stupor just as quickly as possible!!

Well.... tell that AV "tough luck, pal.... this is just one more sign that I'm on the RIGHT path and that sobriety is the way to a richer, happier, more joyful and abundant life".

Grab onto that connection.... how lucky you are!!

Old 05-07-2016, 01:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Sinderos-

I'm so glad to hear you went to another meeting. And, I am thrilled for you that your neighbors are in recovery! That is an incredible!!

So, instead of being alone and lonely in recovery- you can knock on their door, and grab a coffee with lovely people with several years in sobriety.

Hopefully after it sinks in, you will see this as a gift. God is looking out for you, girl.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good to know that you have someone nearby who you can contact.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You know that whole deal about NYE and Xmas etc, and the 'I'll be the only person in the world who can't have a drink'??? Well, you won't be needing to think that now, will ya!!

I wish my neighbours were in the fellowship. My closest person is a whole 5 minutes away. Haha.

Seriously though, I can imagine that it was a shock seeing them there. But don't fret. They will be discreet about it if they see you in the street, just as you will be. And it can be very handy to have people to share rides with if cars break down, or you fancy going to a meeting further afield and don't want to hold alone.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This is awesome. I have worried about seeing someone I know at a meeting too. Thanks for sharing, now I know if it happens it could work out great!
Old 05-07-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post, now you have support very, very close!! The feeling of seeing someone you know goes away with time.

Have a great weekend
Andrew
Old 05-07-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand your disquiet but thats just your AV running scared

I think it sounds good too Sinderos.

D
Old 05-07-2016, 09:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Good stuff. We are everywhere.

Support and accountability all right in your own backyard.

(Don't worry, accountability is a good thing. You just don't think so yet.)