Notices

Daughter struggling with Xanax addiction

Old 05-07-2016, 07:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Daughter struggling with Xanax addiction

I recently found that my daughter has been increasing her Xanax usage to incredible high levels. She had a prescription but began supplementing it. She was finally convinced to go into rehab for detoxing but I worry she won't make it. She has bad anxiety and panic attacks. I'm struggling to stay sober from alcohol myself so it's a stressful situation. Has anyone on the forum successfully gotten off taking benzo drugs and how long did it take? The situation is breaking my heart.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Wombat.

Im a xanax addict, and still am, and I know xanax wds are super hard. Xanax is really insidious because its supposed to help anxiety, but its ten times worse when you stop taking it. Im really glad to hear your daughter is getting help. Xanax is no joke.
In the anxiety forum here, there is a thread called Living Benzo Free. Its really long, but theres tons of info and experience there.
I would post a link for you, but i dont know how. Im a bit computer illiterate. But maybe Dee or someone else can post it here for you.
Sorry im not much help. 7m still trying to find my way off xanav, too. Am on a taper, but i dont do so well on tapers.
Anyway, the anxiety forum in general has lots of good info.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, Ativan after 10+ years, only abused it when trying to sober up. I managed to get off it three years ago and learn healthy ways to handle anxiety, meditation and breathing worked wonders, today I may use it once a month or less vs three times a day. I quit in Detox and it was hell, it was harder for me than the booze and took three weeks.

Wishing your daughter the very best
Andrew
Old 05-07-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello. I have been sober from alcohol and Xanax since August 11th 2013. It can be done. I never thought I would get sober from them because I could not manage living a day of my life without them. While in rehab I began to relate to some of the alcoholic/addict speakers and knew that if I went back to using I would fail the same way I always did. There are some people who just can't drink or use drugs. I am the type of person who will dedicate my life to them.

I just wanted to type this to let you know that there is hope. My family had always tried to get me to go to rehab, but I was never willing to accept help. There is only so much you can do as a mother, unless you do like they do on intervention and offer a bottom line and not take part in their lives if they don't get help. On a positive note your daughter is in treatment and hopefully she stays sober. Do you know if she plans on getting into any support group after she gets out? She could also stay at a 1/2 way or a 3/4 house when she gets out too. She could do I-O-P (intensive out-patient) also.

What worked for me was the in-patient rehab. I could never have gotten sober by myself. In treatment when I would start to withdrawal I had no choice but to deal with it. I could not reach for a drink or a drug because I was in treatment. I guess I would just give your daughter all the support you can as long as she is trying to stay sober.

She can do it if she wants it!
Old 05-07-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html
Old 05-07-2016, 05:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, least.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

It is possible. NA worked for me. I kicked painkillers, Xanax, and Booze all at once.

Unfortunately she has to want to do it. Nothing you can do will get someone else clean, or even make them want to. I know it's not easy, my brother is still drinking himself to death and there is nothing I can do about it.

The best thing you can do for her is to stay clean and sober yourself.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, the benzos are a hard road. I've been there before and it took 6 months of tapering to kick a Valium habit. It can be very hard but eventually the body does return to normal.

A good doctor and lots of support is a must.

With you guys, stay strong
Old 05-10-2016, 12:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Wombat.
Just checking in to see how you and your daughterare doing? Im thinking of you both.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I talked to my daughter on the phone. It's early days but she sounds more like her old self. She's now more positive about her experience in the detox facility and getting acquainted with her fellow patients. So it sounds good so far.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

what IvanMike said is so true . they have to want to do it for themselves more then anything.. hugs dear heart and so many prayers..... hang on to everyone here for this is the life line that never gives up.. ardy

Originally Posted by IvanMike View Post
It is possible. NA worked for me. I kicked painkillers, Xanax, and Booze all at once.

Unfortunately she has to want to do it. Nothing you can do will get someone else clean, or even make them want to. I know it's not easy, my brother is still drinking himself to death and there is nothing I can do about it.

The best thing you can do for her is to stay clean and sober yourself.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad things are looking up for your daughter LonelyWombat