Notices

I come from a different country

Old 04-24-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I come from a different country

I just wanted to say hello to people here. I'm a 54 year old man who now lives on his own in in his own place in England. I've been a complete drunkard for most of my life except for a 7 year period of complete abstinence after a 1 month hospital stay in 2004. I'm an epileptic as well and I'm told how alcohol interferes with my medication so it gives me more seizures. Every now and then I will stop. Those periods of abstinence get shorter and shorter. For some reason I seem to persuade myself into drinking again.
The thing is, I've always been on the sidelines in the group. I think that's why alcohol has become such a central fixture in my life. When most people use alcohol it's a means to meet other people. But for me it's a means to avoid myself.
I've never had any medical help with drinking though I did mention it to my neurologist with regard to the epilepsy and now I've been asked to see my GP.
I wonder what they can do if I were to come out and tell then honestly that I'm a drunk. Can they really help? Isn't it just down to me to sort this out?
Old 04-24-2016, 11:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, and Welcome, Taplow.
I avoided myself by drinking for many years. I was actually just thinking about that when I opened your post.
I've found that being sober while also dealing with the parts of me that I don't like much has been a really transformative experience.
The hard part about quitting drinking, like you did for 7 years (good job!) is that there is still personal work to be done for most of us. That is good work and productive work but it is not easy.
My opinion is that it probably is up to you to sort it out. You seem to know the drill.
I hope you stay around here. You will find a lot of support and folks who are, or who have been, in similar places to where you find yourself.
Welcome
Jonathan
Old 04-24-2016, 11:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello & Welcome Taplow

Seeing a GP and being honest was a wise move I made in early sobriety my local hospital put me in touch with 2 outreach teams and my GP helped me get group & individual therapy aswell helping me through all my unresolved health issues too

The gp helped me in early sobriety with things like anti craving medication & vitamins plus being & staying accountable with the GP really helps too

Glad you found us
Old 04-24-2016, 11:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

It is great that you considering sobriety. There is a lot of help available but unfortunately it is help not a cure. All of us that have quit had to really want to quit. Not quit for a day, week month, year or 10. We had to be sick and tired of being sick and tired.

When I got to that point I used professional help and now I use AA.

There is an incredible sober life out there for those willing to do what needs to be done
Old 04-24-2016, 12:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! In order to stay sober I had to want to be sober more than I wanted to drink. Not easy, but simple.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's great that you are here and seeking support. And, I'm glad that you have seen your neurologist and will see your GP for advice. But, I do agree with you that, ultimately, it is up to you. We do understand that this is scary and hard, but we are here to offer support.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Taplow

while in the end it's down to us, that doesn't mean we have to do it totally alone

SR helped me save my life. It;s an amazingly supportive community. I hope you'll decide to stick around and post regularly.

We have a fair proportion of Brits here

D
Old 04-24-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Best just to come right out and tell our doctor I'm a drunk what can you do for me and then be willing to do what they ask
Old 04-24-2016, 07:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome taplow, glad you are here.

You wrote something in you post that really resonated with me, actually Jonathan mentioned it as well - that you drank to avoid yourself. You worded it so perfectly, and that is exactly what I did. Now sober, my life is so much better. I am finally comfortable in my own skin, and I no longer run from "me". I want you to feel that way, too, taplow. Inner peace is a beautiful thing.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi. Welcome. I'm from the UK as well.

I'd say it's worth mentioning the alcohol problem to your GP, as much so they can bear it in mind when ring to figure out how best to help you for yiur neurological problems as anything else. If you want them to help you, giving them a fighting chance by arming them with the facts seems sensible.

One place you'd be guaranteed of getting support to stop drinking is at AA. A quick online search will tell you where the groups are. Not only will they be able to give advice on quitting booze, but also in the other issues, of learning to live with yourself sober, and how we can learn to live life on life's terms without our old crutch alcohol.

I was never quite able to open up to a GP or in counselling (which my boss referred me for). It was only with other alcoholics that I felt comfortable talking about how alcoholism affects me, and the emotional stuff that comes along with it.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome taplow!

You might be from a different country, but everyone here shares a similar history with alcohol. We speak the same language. We are your people.

They sorted me out, We can sort you out. You belong here.

Welcome to your tribe.