Notices

Crrrraaaavvvving

Old 04-03-2016, 12:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Crrrraaaavvvving

HELP day 3 and have an overwhelming urge to buy drink and its only 8.20 in the morning..........
Old 04-03-2016, 12:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Its Sunday..the shops cant sell booze till 10.
You'll have time to "play the tape" through of what will happen if you do drink. Forget about the first two hours after you start, and concentrate on what happens once control is lost.
Plus if you can distract yourself, the urge will pass
Old 04-03-2016, 12:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kaily - have you checked out this link yet?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

some of those tips have to be worth a try.

Maybe hit a meeting (or even two)?

D
Old 04-03-2016, 12:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I thought you could buy in Tesco express
Old 04-03-2016, 12:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Only after 10 on a Sunday..same with all the supermarkets. Use the energy you're using in thinking of how to get hold of booze into thinking what it will do to you when you get your hands on it.
One will have no effect, it will make your craving worse, after a few, you won't be able to stop, your inhibitions will be down, so you won't care you can't stop..then you'll really go for it, get cabbaged and ..what will happen then? Then when you have to come down off it, what will you feel like then?
Old 04-03-2016, 12:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know I don't want to really, last time I drank it was a litre of vodka in a day! If I start today will it be 2, where will it stop. I have been to four AA meetings this week but so uncomfortable in my own skin.
I also have borderline personality disorder which plays havoc with my emotions.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Then you need to get a handle on your emotions. What is making you feel uncomfortable? Are these reasons rational reason? Or are they reasons to give yourself an excuse to drink? Doing an ABC from Smart Recovery toolbox is very handy, when you are sitting alone looking for reasons to drink.
Whatever you are feeling, I bet drink won't make you feel any better after a couple of hours and deffo will make you feel a lot worse in the end.
You can calm the uncomfortable emotions down, by reasoning with yourself.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks again. I think I am sorta scared I might have some kind of fit or something due to drinking such high levels then just stopping which I was advised not to, but who can cut down? It just doesn't work. Alcohol centre said it was dangerous. Really want sobriety this time.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When did you have your last drink? Coming straight down from such a high amount if you have been doing it for long could be dangerous. But rather than getting more drink, you could go to an A&E and they will give you something to help with withdrawal, and some fluids and check you out. They are not arsey about it at all..Ive had to do it a few times!!
Old 04-03-2016, 01:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Even though you might feel embarrassed (I did!) They have a duty of care and can't just leave you to get on with it if you are going into full on withdrawals
Old 04-03-2016, 01:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh Kaily I feel for you I really do. Thank you so much for your message it helped me. I was told when craving to drink or eat something sweet as will help to balance out blood sugar levels. Pop down to the nearest Starbucks. Sit outside with a lovely hot chocolate and watch the joy of ordinary people doing ordinary things on a Sunday morning and know that one day you will be just like that..
Find a meeting or call a fellow member.
Just for today take it one hour at a time.
You can do this.
Elle x
Old 04-03-2016, 02:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Don't eat refined sugar..this releases a lot of insulin, makes blood sugar levels drop and sets off a craving for more sugar and complex carbohydrates (of which alcohol is one).
In other words eating sugar will make you crave a drink more
Old 04-03-2016, 02:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
instant

I hope you made it through. Urges come and go- they are unpleasant but not as bad as a hangover, and the shame
Old 04-03-2016, 03:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Kaily your doing excellent on day 3 stay with us it will get easier
Old 04-03-2016, 05:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hope you are feeling better Kaily, and if you have gone over 72 hours without a drink (I know you said 3 days) but if its over 72 hours, you should be over the worst of the acute stage
Old 04-03-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hope you managed to ride out that craving. And hope you get to a meeting or contact someone from AA today as well.

I think it's a bit early to expect to feel comfortable in your own skin in the meetings. Sometimes our own expectations can be our worst enemy. It will come in time though, when you have done some work on your recovery and have some sobriety behind you. None of us got to alcoholic overnight, and recovery can't be overnight either. Just focus on one day at a time. Watch for HALT triggers. Get to meetings and take numbers from people who offer them. Contact (sane and same sex) people who give you their numbers. It often helped me if I got to a meeting a bit earlier and stayed a bit later so I could help set up and clear up, as that's when you tend to get to chat on a more individual basis.

Hope you're feeling better now.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Boxer

It's still very early, maybe go grab a nice filling breakfast and a coffee.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Eat breakfast, exercise, take a shower, talk to a friend, drink water. I know in VERY early days often my cravings are simply my bodies need for food or hydration. I'm just so habituated to crave booze that my body doesn't send the right signals. An AA meeting can help too.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Adventurer

How are you feeling Kaily, what did you decide to do? If your having awful withdrawals go to the ER or clinic. Quitting is rough but more booze is not the answer.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi all. So far so good, I went shopping, popped into Macdonalds for a milkshake(not somewhere I usually go) walked my dogs and cut the grass. Exhausted but sober..