Notices

Newbie on day 83

Old 03-25-2016, 10:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie on day 83

I am new to the group so be patient with me...

I am wondering if I am the only one who is or has experienced what I am going through. Around day 45, I had the worst panic and anxiety that lasted for a week... no sleep, no appetite, with severe mind racing. It was so bad I went to a treatment center for 21 days. So my question is, does PAWS take that long to kick in?

The anxiety has gotten better and the depression sucks, but has anyone experienced compulsive thinking? I will get fixated on something, especially on the internet and will be stuck for 2-3 hours. Anybody experience this? I would love to hear of any remedies for these symptoms, especially if they are natural or holistic.

I have never been depressed in my life so this is weird for me. I saw a doctor who recommended SAM-e because of my intolerance of meds. Any experience with this? If so, were there positive results?

Still not drinking, nor want a drink, just want to enjoy clear thinking and a joyful, happy life.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome stillpooh

I think depression anxiety and even panic attacks are relatively common. With some people it gets better others not so.

I felt a lot better after 90 days though

I don't know anything about SAM-e tho, sorry.

Have you considered counselling as an alternative to meds?

D
Old 03-25-2016, 04:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome StillPooh the best person to speak to about this is a dr big congrats on day 83
Old 03-25-2016, 05:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us. It took me a few months before I felt 'right' again, but then I really took off. Now at over six years I'm feeling great and love living sober.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello,
Did time at the treatment center help?
Old 03-25-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you, Stillpooh. Congrats on your 83 sober days.

I haven't had the compulsive thinking, but definitely the anxiety & other issues. After a few months, everything got so much better. I do know someone who takes Sam-e & she feels that it's helpful. I have no experience with it.

I think being here to talk things over will be help you. It's good to know we're never alone.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 83! I've been on the PAWS roller coaster and it sucks. My personal experience from when I was drinking a lot in late 2014 then stopped was increasing anxiety until about 75-90 days then it went down. As far as when the PAWS started, I don't recall but it wasn't immediately after I stopped drinking.

Regardless I think it's normal for the symptoms to peak a few to several months after you stop drinking then to settle down and get progressively better.

Hang in there!
Old 03-26-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Hi stillpooh. I'm a few days ahead of you and have experienced very similar things. The peaks and troughs have come along (more troughs!) and have manifest in various ways... From the fixation/ocd/anxiety/panic attacks to the faux hangovers, mood swings and headaches.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes! The doctors were able to get the panic and anxiety under control. I started EMDR therapy and met some amazing women going through the same thing. I am continuing with intensive outpatient services here at home too.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am definitely going to continue with therapy!
Old 03-27-2016, 09:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks! It's so good to hear that life gets better after PAWS!