Notices

Could I just drink once a week ?

Old 03-26-2016, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Could I just drink once a week ?

That's how I'm feeling today ... Could I just have a drink on a Saturday night ?
No one around me seems to think I have/did have a problem
Old 03-26-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

My suggestion is to ignore input from those around you and listen to yourself. You know why you're here. Don't ask others to confirm that you can't drink alcohol. Recovery is something personal that you will be doing for yourself.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you could, you probably wouldn't be here?

Hey, we all spin our wheels for a while trying to find that loophole...
Old 03-26-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

could you?

what's your experience with that?
Old 03-26-2016, 08:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Are you serious? Can you eat one potato chip?!!
Old 03-26-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think most of us try moderated drinking before giving up. You are on a sober recovery forum for a reason though. People who don't have a problem don't ask themselves if they do and don't find their way to a sober recovery forum.

It is definitely your choice and your sobriety (or drinking) journey are yours to decide and make.

I can tell you that after a month of sobriety I thought I could moderate too. Two months later I was in detox.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
could you?

what's your experience with that?

Hmmmm not sure ... I'm not a go out all weekend and get mortal person anymore ... I used to when I was younger ... I still go out with the lasses but only every few months and we will all drink about the same amount ... My problem is drinking wine in the house ... A good week will be a bottle Friday night, sat night and Sunday night a bad week will be a bottle a night starting from Wednesday through to sun night - so 5/6 bottles of wine a week ... I know I'm just looking for confirmation that is ok to drink once a week Haha and I know the answer is a big fat no !
I told my mam I had stopped drinking - again - then when I was walking out the door today "oh there's a bottle of wine there if you want it?" So I'm like "hello ! I've Stopped drinking mother, Don't offer me wine"
So I'm thinking maybe I'm not as bad as I think ? Doesn't everyone have wine at the weekends? Xx
Old 03-26-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I tried once a week drinking, I started Friday night and finished Wednesday.
You may have more self control than me x
Old 03-26-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

5-6 bottles a week is a lot. Alcoholism is a progressive disease. How long have you been sober?

I think it's a terrible idea. No out of envy because been there done that, still have the socks from detox!!
But because once you open the door back up to the addiction voice it gets strongEr and stronger, making it easier to fall back into old patterns, fast - and continue to get worse fast too.

I hope you do not drink. sobriety is much better than playing the drinking game.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Personally speaking, there's no way I can do that, because it turns into once a day, then once an hour, then constant drinking.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post
5-6 bottles a week is a lot. Alcoholism is a progressive disease. How long have you been sober?

I think it's a terrible idea. No out of envy because been there done that, still have the socks from detox!!
But because once you open the door back up to the addiction voice it gets strongEr and stronger, making it easier to fall back into old patterns, fast - and continue to get worse fast too.

I hope you do not drink. sobriety is much better than playing the drinking game.

I haven't drank for 8 days now ... Did 8 days a few weeks ago then got a box of red wine for Mother's Day haha so drank that a a few more bottles .....
Old 03-26-2016, 09:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You can do anything you want.

~Bunnez
Old 03-26-2016, 09:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Re-Member

What good is "just" one drink going to do you? What potential harm could "just" one drink lead to? Have you ever really been capable the last few years of having "just' one drink per week?
Old 03-26-2016, 09:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Delizadee,
I, too, still have 'the socks from detox'...every time I see them I get a serious reminder of the day and the reason I checked myself in. They are not in plain sight but, every now and then when I am looking for a pair of socks there they are.... I wonder if anyone else has the infamous 'socks-from-detox' ?! lol
Old 03-26-2016, 09:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 8 days sober! I'd aim for total sobriety. That's the safest way, for me, anyway.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
p***enger

If you're concerned about your drinking and it doesn't feel good to you, why not stop completely now?

Better to stop drinking when you recognize it's a small problem , because it's the kind of problem that will get bigger & end up doing serious harm.

I wish I'd quit drinking earlier & for good.

Stick to your guns w/your mom!
Old 03-26-2016, 09:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi! I was actually drinking about the same as you
4 bottles of wine a week max- though at my worst it was about 6.
I just stopped because it really was screwing my life up.
I also tried to drink one bottle a week on a sat night or something- it didn't work for me

Why do you want to keep drinking and why do you want to stop?
Xoxo
Old 03-26-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I get the struggle, and have asked myself the same question. However I recognize it as my AV. Sure, maybe you could, but then it would get easier to justify drinking another one, or meeting a friend during the week for one, or having a drink with dinner, and soon you are back where you started. At least that is what would happen to me. Ask yourself why you joined this site.

It's not worth it.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
Hi! I was actually drinking about the same as you
4 bottles of wine a week max- though at my worst it was about 6.
I just stopped because it really was screwing my life up.
I also tried to drink one bottle a week on a sat night or something- it didn't work for me

Why do you want to keep drinking and why do you want to stop?
Xoxo
I want to stop drinking to lose weight, I find I binge eat when I drink, that's honesty the main reason. I train hard and eat clean for the beginning of the week then ruin it at the weekend ... Every weekend ... The only time I managed to lose a good deal of weight is when I stopped drinking for 6 weeks .... other reasons would be the money and I smoke when I drink so I'm constantly failing at stopping smoking too

The reason I want to drink ? Because it's Saturday, I'm staying in with no plans, I'm bored... And I like wine? :/ it's just wine ...I've got vodka and other spirits in the cupboard but they don't appeal to me xx
Old 03-26-2016, 09:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The new UK drinking guidelines say there is no safe amount to drink (all those stories about drinking moderately being healthier than abstinence turn out to have been myths, according to the latest research). So they suggest 14 units a week, spread over several days is the maximum men or women should drink to keep to an acceptable level of risk.

You were regularly drinking between 50-60 units a week from what you wrote, so I think you can safely ignore all those people who say you don't have a problem. You appear to feel you do, or you wouldn't be here. And your evidence backs it up.

The bigger question, is why would you want to drink once a week? Is one glass of wine really all you'd want? Or are you asking if it's okay to get drunk once a week? People can do an awful lot of damage to themselves and their relationships in a single night out. And that's even without the question of whether you actually could stick to one night, or whether you'd quickly be back to those 50-60 units a week again.

With all this in mind, it probably won't be a huge surprise to hear that my advice is to stick to sobriety