Notices

Day 103, think I'm over a bump.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 103, think I'm over a bump.

I had to start my Community Service as part of a DUI last weekend. I was dreading it and resentful, slave labor and all. I went to a VFW (veterans of foreign wars) to work. I walked in to a large smoky dive bar full of old people playing dominoes. The bartender was young and beautiful. She could have been a model is she knew how to do her makeup and wasn't missing a tooth. County music playing but not too loud. In short I was in heaven, just the kind of place I love. Though about a bar stool and a cold beer but moved on quickly. The bartender told me to do dishes, she said it would take an hour and did not have to be done perfectly as the members were mostly guys. I spent 2.5 hours scrubbing pans and moping that kitchen. Under the stoves had been cleaned in some time. Not my line of work but it looked pretty good when I was done. The Bartender was impressed and well pleased. I asked if there were "any and beer bottles that needed emptying. " She laughed and said I'd earned a few. I declined. Told her "that's what got me in trouble in the first place."

My point: I went from resentful to enjoying myself. I put more effort into cleaning than I evidently had too. There are other opportunities to complete my community service I'm going to look into. I'll probably go back to the VFW a time or two. The only problem with it is the bar, the people and now I can get free beer. Not that I need a beer but just when I quit drinking...story of my life.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome post thank you for sharing that & congrats on day 103
Old 03-21-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Not sure how the VFW qualifies for "community service" work, but I think its ludicrous to have someone who's working off a DUI do it in a bar.

Lot of potential risks in the VFW...I'd request to do my service elsewhere.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are doing great, thanks for the inspiration!!!
Old 03-21-2016, 08:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations, I look forward to the day I have that much sobriety
Old 03-21-2016, 09:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your sober time! I agree with Carl. There must be other places than a bar that you can do your service time in. Ask for something else.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Agree with the responses; having you work in a bar is like having a jewel thief polish the glass at a jewelry store.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glad you're looking on the bright side, but I'm with doggonecarl. I'd request a change in community service venues immediately. Cleaning up a bar is not community service and is not appropriate for someone on probation.

But good on you for getting through it and maintaining your sobriety. 103 days is amazing.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

You did excellent and congratulations on 103 days. I think it is awesome too that instead of having a major resentment and doing the bare minimum you decided instead to go above board and give it your best. Right there it shows some recovery and a good spirit
On another hand, I agree with the others, I don't think a bar is the best place to have you do community service. I am not sure how it works but maybe request politely to finish doing it at a food bank or another place like that where you ll get to help others but not be around so much booze.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your recovery and how great of you to have an open mind and a good attitude to get through this.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day 103 is fantastic!!
Old 03-21-2016, 02:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

If and only if you feel at risk in that environment, request another. Personally, I don't believe everyone needs to spend the remainder of their days afraid of being around alcohol. I'm sure it differs person to person. Do you feel okay there? Protect yourself, first and foremost, of course.

Isn't it great how, now that we're sober, we can exercise conscious control over our attitudes? Like, we can say, "This poor attitude isn't serving me. Time to replace it." And buddabing, it's done. Tony Robbins calls this "putting yourself in a different state."

Being sober is like having a supercharged brain!
Old 03-21-2016, 07:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

doggonecarl- I agree you and everyone else. I told the Bartender I had a DUI when I walked in the place. She offered me a free beer when I was leaving. Ludicrous? Insane is more like it but it's Texas and we do love our vets.
They were playing David Allen Coe "it that ain't country." Should give you the ambiance of the place. Nice folks but I agree. 80 hours working there might be too much. Habit for Humanity called me back and then there's the Crime Watch. Both sound interesting. I am by definition a criminal so Crime Watch? That's kinda crazy also.

I was down a few days ago but seemed to have rebounded nicely. Today a recruiter called. She was impressed with my resume. We spoke for around an hour. Very rare to find an Environmental Consultant with experience in a combat area. I didn't like the job she called about but she said she would push my resume to London for expat opportunities. Unfortunately I can't leave the USA until my probation is over but it was nice to be noticed.

BTW- thanks Dee, sage observation about resentment.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by SoberinSyracuse View Post
If and only if you feel at risk in that environment, request another. Personally, I don't believe everyone needs to spend the remainder of their days afraid of being around alcohol. I'm sure it differs person to person. Do you feel okay there? Protect yourself, first and foremost, of course.
I work around alcohol daily for hours on end and don't think it is an issue with my own recovery. It's simply my job. It's how I make a living. It doesn't bother me at all. I don't obsess on it there at work, and I don't think being around alcohol at work has been a trigger once in the past few years for me. In this way, I totally agree with you that we shouldn't go through our sober life being scared of being in the same room with alcohol. If there's a legitimate reason for you to be there.

But being told by the court to do 80 hours of community service in a bar as punishment for a DWI is a way different story. It's just not appropriate and should never have happened in the first place. In my opinion, of course.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It is kinda crazy, that whole situation. But I am glad you enjoyed yourself and thank you for that post. And good job on all those days... much awesomeness
Old 03-21-2016, 09:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
But being told by the court to do 80 hours of community service in a bar as punishment for a DWI is a way different story. It's just not appropriate and should never have happened in the first place. In my opinion, of course.
The irony isn't lost on me. Sounds almost...deliberate? Oh, well. The things I speculate about at midnight...
Old 03-21-2016, 09:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm so glad I'm sober otherwise I might not thoroughly enjoy the sheer madness of it.

It makes me wonder what ironic craziness I missed when I was drinking.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Love this post....like a page in a book!