Notices

Dear Jack

Old 03-19-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dear Jack

This letter was written to the Jack Daniels company by an 8 year old girl shortly before she was killed by her father.

https://www.facebook.com/xamazingx/v...type=2&theater
Old 03-19-2016, 02:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

That is so sad.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't mean to come off as insensitive but I'm calling BS on this one. Their's no way an 8 year old wrote this lol.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

youre probably right leo...however, the point of the vid is that kids die at the hands of drunk parents and who knows its quite possible a child did write it and it was tweeked by an interfering adult. Either way the point is, kids die at the hands of drunk parents.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaidenNZ View Post
youre probably right leo...however, the point of the vid is that kids die at the hands of drunk parents and who knows its quite possible a child did write it and it was tweeked by an interfering adult. Either way the point is, kids die at the hands of drunk parents.
True that.
Old 03-19-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Leonidas, Yeah I wasn't going to say anything but I don't like scripted reality even if it's for a good cause.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

You only need ask the Nspcc or care homes in the uk about things like this

Or worldwide for that matter
Old 03-19-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by chrcarlson View Post
Leonidas, Yeah I wasn't going to say anything but I don't like scripted reality even if it's for a good cause.
I think you guys are totally missing the point.

The short film was created by Brazilian NGO Bandeiras Brancas to draw attention to the dangers of alcohol and the horrifying impact it can have on families.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...angers-7513881
D
Old 03-19-2016, 11:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's a good point and one that breaks my heart scripted or not. Nobody deserves the lives they get when they have an alcoholic parent or spouse.
The statistic at the end about 39% of domestic abuse being alcohol related certainly seems close.
I realized tonight that I haven't become out of control angry ( never physically abusive) and mentally abusive once since quitting drinking. I remember the feelings of almost unmanageable anger and frustration all too clearly but it's so hard to even summon those out of proportion reactions to life when sober, despite the situation.
I am so thankful for those who stood by me despite me and really hope to be some sort of good example to others struggling some day.
What a curse alcohol places in so many of our lives.
I'm going to bed after a great night if board games with my kids and saying a prayer for characters who experience lives reflected in that letter.
Good night
Jonathan
Old 03-20-2016, 03:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

well said Jonathan. Few of us in our right minds could conceive of intentionally hurting a child, yet alcohol causes us to magnify our own pain and sometimes children are on the receiving end of that magnification.

Most alcoholics try to make sense of the mess theyre in at the end of a bottle. If we cant figure out the chaos, what chance does a child have.

I'm thankful I can write these words with a healing mind. Discussions like these are so important. Thank you to everyone that that either read or added to this post.

Your sister in recovery