Notices

Back at it again...

Old 03-17-2016, 08:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back at it again...

Hey guys,

I posted here about a month ago. Long story short heavy daily, binge drinker for 5 years. Quit and stopped posting here. Last night, I found out my brother is very sick and got upset, so I bought so many 24 oz cans of beer I Forgot, along with a pack of cigarettes.

Woke up this morning worst hangover in my life, somehow forced myself to go to school with chest pains and a dry mouth. I'm back on the bandwagon of trying to remain sober. I probably had about 18 beers yesterday, I smoked around 10 cigarettes. This morning my car smelt like beer, there were ashes all over the front seat (I must have been really gone) and I was disgusted. Although I didn't want to, I Crushed the pack of cigarettes and threw it in the trash! I'm back at it now and I'm going to post here more often in order to help and when I want to drink I'm just going to come here. I plan on drinking veggie smoothies the rest of the day to help detox and hit the gym and sauna tomorrow.

MY question, should I get my health checked? Had an EKG Done in November, was normal but I"m just nervous. I feel okay, but I just read a study online that claimed that alcoholics who even get help and quit drinking still have much higher mortality rates, even long after they quit drinking. I don't know if it's true or not, but it scares the crap out of me. I"m 24 and gonna be 25 in May. Is it too late?
Old 03-17-2016, 08:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've never heard of sober alcoholics having high mortality rates. Get yourself checked out to ease your nerves. I'm 34 and drank heavily for years and I have no lasting effects. Quit now while you are ahead. It's never too late to quit! Life is so much better sober!
Old 03-17-2016, 08:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Getting & staying sober now is a wise decision one I commend you for I got sober at 31 I'm almost 34 and I've stayed sober seeing a dr will ease your mind

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 03-17-2016, 08:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome back, ToyotaMan1991, and congrats on choosing a better way of life in recovery. Good news is you never have to feel this way again as long as you don't take that first drink.

By all means go and get yourself checked out. It'll give you some peace of mind if nothing else.

Hope you'll post here regularly. Building a support network is a crucial part of my own recovery.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try to not worry about what has been. Stay sober and focus on your recovery and good health and enjoy your sobriety.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by ToyotaMan1991 View Post
MY question, should I get my health checked?
Yes. Why do I recommend it? Because this is the second post in a row where you are overly concerned about what alcohol is doing to your health. Nothing that anybody said in your previous post made a difference, you continued to obsess, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that nothing that anyone says in this post about you stopping your worrying is going to make a difference.

So see your doctor.

But if you want to save yourself a co-pay, here's some free advice: If you are worried about the health effects of alcohol, quit drinking it.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done for throwing the cigarettes out. Go and see a doctor if you're worried.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Some stats say if you quit before your 50 your health and brain can come back. If you're not already dead. See a doc and whatever works, work it. Best wishes.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! I wish you success in this attempt at sobriety.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome back ToyotaMan!!
Old 03-17-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome back Toyotaman. Like Carl said, if it will ease your mind then go see your Doctor.

Bottom line is quit "trying to remain sober" and just commit to not drinking. Every time I convinced myself that I was going to try to get sober, I was setting myself up for failure. In my mind, trying implies a way out, an opening to drink again. Don't give your AV any opening; with out a doubt in your mind, be sober. I promise you won't regret that decision.

Welcome back.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back TM - some great advice here

Have you thought any on a plan to help you stay sober this time?

D