Notices

New here. Too drunk to function.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here. Too drunk to function.

Hello everyone. I'm at my whits end. I drink a minimum of 1 pint of cheap whisky and a 6ser of beer a day. I am calling off work every few days & the boss is suspecting I'm inebriated. I tried the aa in the past but it didn't keep. At this point I fear, I'm too drunk for aa. It seems like I use to be able to drink more and function. That is all I want to do. I just want to be able to a good employee. I learned that I have a disease and I believe it. But I fear I'm just too far gone..
Old 03-01-2016, 10:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Awww! No you're not too far gone! No one is, you really have to believe that!
You'll get a lot of support here, and people will be along shortly with good advice.
I just wanted to say hi and welcome, you're not alone xoxo
Old 03-01-2016, 10:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Welcome to SR.
You are not too drunk for AA or SR. The AA fellowship was originally founded for very low bottom alcoholics (like the kind who would not have a computer because they would have had to sell it to buy bathtub gin).

I would recommend that you bookmark this page so it will be in your browser tomorrow if you have forgotten joining. Dump the rest of your booze, drink a lot of water so you are not too hungover tomorrow .

Tomorrow commit to not drinking for the day, find a local AA meeting to go to, read around SR and post at the 24 hours recovery connections.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-112-a.html

You can get sober, we did it and so can you! No one is hopeless as long as they are determined and have some support

Old 03-01-2016, 11:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Unluckyatlife

back in 07 I thought I was too far gone too - I drank all day everyday and had for 5 years...binge drinker before that.

My life was drinking...but I didn't want to die.

nearly 9 years on and I'm sober and have been for all of those 9 years.

Noone who can sign up to SR and ask for help is too far gone in my opinion

There's a ton of support here. If I can do this you can too

D
Old 03-01-2016, 11:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Unluckyatlife! I'm glad you found us. You're not too far gone so long as you're on the green side of the lawn. I think it's fair to say that many if not most of us came to SR pretty low and beaten down by alcohol. I had drank hard for 25 years and just figured I'd drink until I finally died. Eventually my desire to live overcame my desire to drink.

There are lots of ways to beat addiction! AA is good for some. Rational Recovery has helped many as well. AVRT was what finally saved me.

You're not too far gone if you truly want to stop.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

You are not too far gone.

There are many routes to sobriety. If one doesn't work for you try another.

One thing that you need to realize is that you have to work hard. Getting sober isn't easy but it is worth it.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I thought I was too far gone to be saved also. I was afraid I was going to drink myself to death and that I didn't deserve a better life.

Now I've been sober over six years and my life is better than ever. You CAN quit drinking, but you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are definitely not too far gone! You can do this just like others here have. I have been fighting the fight for years now but I will not give up because I believe it is possible for myself- and for you. You've got to do it, keep going and trying.
You can be a good employee, but you have to stop drinking.
Please keep checking in here, we are here to support you and help you put a plan together to tackle this nasty problem. You are not alone.

I really, really hope this does not come across as trivial. It is not at all intended to make light of the gravity of what you are feeling. However, as I read your post I immediately thought of the video for some reason and thought I'd share with you. It is lighthearted and I know that this is not at all a light issue, but if it can cheer you just for a moment or give you a little momentum to start attacking this problem then it is worth 50 seconds of your day.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! You can still turn your life around. Given your description of your situation, my first idea is to recommend that you go see your doctor and get professional help from there. There is a lot of wonderful help out there.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Question -- Who is the most important person in any meeting?

Originally Posted by Unluckyatlife View Post

I tried the aa in the past but it didn't keep. At this point I fear, I'm too drunk for aa.
I attended my AA home group meeting yesterday morning. There was a Lady there who had been drinking and appeared to be drunk. She spoke up out of turn more than once in a loud manner.

Note: (She was very welcome at the AA meeting.)

That is what AA is About -- helping the one who still suffers.

Most important person in any meeting -- The newcomer.

M-Bob
Old 03-02-2016, 04:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not to scare anyone, but I'm in outpatient detox with a guy who has been told that he only has a few months left to live after the liver damage he's done. He's still making the most of it and what time he has left.

There is literally no "too far gone", and I suspect that you, much like me when I'm feeling afraid, aren't as far gone as you make it up to be in your head. Not that your experience isn't valid, just that we tend to let fear join the chorus of negative, bad-decision-inducing voices in our heads. Recovery is never a bad thing, regardless of how far you've gone, go for it, stick with it.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I know the desperation you are feeling all too well. Have you considered medical help, your dr or the emergency room? A medically supervised detox can really help you get a good start as well as keep you safe. I've done it more times than I can count, unfortunately, but sometimes its the only option.

I wouldn't worry about being drunk in AA. As long as you're not being disruptive I think they all understand.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You're in a state of distress right now, friend. You have to realize that your perception of yourself right now is skewed. It's a nasty thing - you can't trust yourself even to feel bad about yourself. We've been there. Give it a day and come back to the forums.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Hello everyone. I'm at my whits end. I drink a minimum of 1 pint of cheap whisky and a 6ser of beer a day. I am calling off work every few days & the boss is suspecting I'm inebriated. I tried the aa in the past but it didn't keep. At this point I fear, I'm too drunk for aa. It seems like I use to be able to drink more and function. That is all I want to do. I just want to be able to a good employee. I learned that I have a disease and I believe it. But I fear I'm just too far gone..
You're not too far gone to recover, I promise! But you might be too far gone at this point to be able to get sober using only willpower and a support group like AA. You might be due for professional help.

For what it's worth, I had zero success with support groups, therapists, counselors, etc. "Talking" about the problem did not help me. Medical intervention helped me, and sobriety seems to be sticking this time 'round.

Call your doc and think seriously about getting into a rehab facility. Good luck and don't give up!
Old 03-02-2016, 05:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You are not to far gone.

But you probably can't get sober by yourself, that's pretty hard.

For me, this website and the face to face support of AA got me sober.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
totfit

Too far gone? You are just a "normal" drunk that would fit right in. The only concern is the statement, " I use to be able to drink more and function. That is all I want to do." Well, that does not appear to be working very well. I don't know about you, but for me that is impossible. I know it is impossible, because I ran out of "reasons" that I was drinking the way I did. I know that I am bodily different than folks that can. It is not a matter of lacking self control, it is a matter of my body being different in that I am "unable" to control. I have accepted this, it is not really a big deal now. I just do something else besides drink and have found that wow, there are unlimited things in this world for me to do and instead I was drinking. That makes the choice easy for me. If I choose to pick up a drink though it would be immediately the same as before. I always have the option to drink, but not the option to function successfully and drink.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I'm at my whits end.
So was I.

I drink a minimum of 1 pint of cheap whisky and a 6ser of beer a day.
So did I.

I tried the aa in the past but it didn't keep.
Me, too.

I fear I'm just too far gone.
I feared that, too. I actually bought additional life and liability insurance for myself to protect my family from what I was sure was going to happen some day - catastrophe.

After joining SR I learned that I have an alcohol addict living in my head. It believes if I'm not drinking I should be, and it works relentlessly to convince me of it. It can't be reasoned with. It can't be trusted. It can't be bargained with. It can't be threatened or intimidated.

But it can be starved.

If you want to experience a buzz better than anything that comes in a bottle, starve that addict living in your head for 100 days. The freedom is exhilarating.

You can do this!
Old 03-02-2016, 05:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My last year of drinking was all day, every day. Wake up, drink, puke, drink pass out, wake up drink puke and pass out again. I came to AA and got sober and have stayed sober. No one is ever "too far gone" for AA!
Old 03-02-2016, 05:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Nope, no way are you "too far gone". I drank at least that much before I stopped and I've been sober for over two years now.

Was it easy? Nope. But it can be done and it is so very worth the effort.

Don't make the same mistake I did though. I tried to stop on my own without medical help. That didn't work! Fortunately I did have the sense to call my doctor before it was too late and she helped me. So please see your doctor ASAP and follow his/her directions. Alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous, especially for long term drinkers like I was.

AND, although it may not seem so right now, you do deserve to get better.

I am not a therapist or doctor just someone who can assure you from experience that Sober is way better than drunk.

Good luck. And the best time to stop is always right now.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Unlucky
You are still breathing and were able to find this site.... You're not too far gone and maybe right where you needed to get. It's a great day to start over.
Your screen name probably reflects how you feel about yourself truthfully and it probably doesn't reinforce the positive aspects of who you are. How about thinking of yourself as "luckyinlife" and then setting out to prove it?
You can do this!
Jonathan