Notices

Time to quit

Old 03-01-2016, 10:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time to quit

Hello, imjust turned 30 a few months ago and have been drinking since I was 17. The only time I have been sober was when I was pregnant and breastfeeding my 3 children. A regular night for me(and my husband) is like this. Before my husband gets home from work I would do 4-7 shots of vodka than when he would come home we would have 4-5 together and I would maybe make a few screwdrivers. This has been pretty much the norm for 5 years now. I don't always drink before he gets home though but what he does bring home doesn't even affect me anymore. I am in extremely poor health and feel like I am 50 but am only 30. Ok my doc gave me some meds that I absolutely cannot drink wite so I told hubby that and he still buys himself shooters and says you can't have any. Anyways after my long story these meds are new and yesterday was the first day in 5 years that I didn't have anything to drink. My husband doesn't seem to want to quit even thought his health is worse than mine. I don't know how I'm going to get through this when my biggest supporter is only rubbing it in my face. He even knew I can't drink on my meds and still brought home shots and a bottle of vodka last night. I did manage to get through the night with resisting though. So today I'm trying to stay positive, it's 11am here so I still have a long day ahead of me. I just don't want to start thinking well I can skip my meds tonight and just have a drink and take them tomorrow night and fall back into that habit. After all I already have one day under my belt.
Thanks for listening
Old 03-01-2016, 10:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome! I think it is best that you quit - you already have one day down...keep going! Life is so much better without alcohol. Did you advise your doctor that you will be coming down off of a lot of alcohol? I think it is best you at least give them a call and tell them exactly how much you were drinking nightly. You were drinking a lot (so was I) and seizures and withdrawals are a concern. Her might prescribe something like ativan to get you through the first 5-7 days.
Welcome to the boards! You will find a lot of help here!
Old 03-01-2016, 10:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Welcome Keets! I'm glad you are here & you will find much support & encouragement here. sounds like alcohol is taking its toll on you & hope that you see there is a whole, better life to be lived without it! (Hugs to you)
Old 03-01-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone going to need all the support I can get
Old 03-01-2016, 11:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Keets

I was in a drinking rut before i quit.

I tapered a bit.

Now nearly 10 months clean.

I needed to cme up with a new life style.

It takes a while to get over the detox, then comes the anxiety and the crave.

Alcohol is poison. You are addicted. Get clean.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi! Welcome! You can totally do this! The first part is rough, but just push through, soon you'll feel better and probably look amazing! Xoxo
Old 03-01-2016, 12:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm really trying, the hardest part is when I'm home alone after I drop off my kid at school who goes in the afternoon. I don't know what to do with myself. I need to keep busy. Than again when hubby comes home and wants to drink. I used to be in amazing shape and do all sorts of things now it's the complete opposite. Im self employed and that just doesn't even work anymore I don't have any income coming in. Something needs to change its ruining my life health and my kids need better
Old 03-01-2016, 12:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the support you'll find here can help you get sober for good. It takes some effort, and changes, but it's so worth it.

It might be quite a challenge, staying sober when your partner is still drinking, but it can be done. But you've got to want to be sober more than you want to drink.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to the board Keets
Old 03-01-2016, 12:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Keets!!
Old 03-01-2016, 02:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Keets

Altho having a drinking spouse is hard, it need not be a deal breaker for you and your recovery

You'll find a ton of support and good ideas here.

You can stay sober, if you want too - absolutely

D
Old 03-01-2016, 03:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Hi there, welcome here.

I second Bunny's advice about letting your doctor know. Sudden withdrawals can be very dangerous.

Keep coming here, make a plan, follow through on it, and keep your hands busy -- idle hands are the devil's workshop.