Notices

Day one and daunted

Old 02-22-2016, 06:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one and daunted

Another day one. I've had some brief success in the past. Longest I've stayed sober is 3 months but that was a few years back. Over the last 18 months I've lost a lot. My marriage, my licence and my job. I'm starting to rebuild but know the only way forward is complete abstinence. I drink every day until I pass out. Most days I start by mid afternoon. I don't remember much the next day. I'm now seeing a psychologist. I'm hoping this forum and sharing with others travelling a similar journey will help me stay on track.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! It gets better, it really does! Are you working a program? AA? Smart Recovery?
Old 02-22-2016, 06:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support here. I hope we can help you get sober for good.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SUPGirl View Post
Another day one. I've had some brief success in the past. Longest I've stayed sober is 3 months but that was a few years back. Over the last 18 months I've lost a lot. My marriage, my licence and my job. I'm starting to rebuild but know the only way forward is complete abstinence. I drink every day until I pass out. Most days I start by mid afternoon. I don't remember much the next day. I'm now seeing a psychologist. I'm hoping this forum and sharing with others travelling a similar journey will help me stay on track.
I was on a similar journey, for sure..... all of the above.

I finally made the real and honest choice that I'd had enough and didn't want to fall further, lose more, destroy what was left, so I decided to embrace sobriety.

I used AA in the early days heavily.... having that face to face, anytime, real-world support and experience, strength and hope was a huge help and a foundation tool for my recovery. I got the Big Book and read it cover to cover. Several times. I started working the steps. I saw (and continue to see) a therapist. I checked in here daily. I exercised and made changes in my life and stopped going to bars and parties and gatherings that focused on drinking. I had to let go of or distance myself from some friendships. It seemed like a loss at first, but gradually I came to realize it really wasn't......

Life is better now, in so many ways.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

It sounds like you're ready to make the changes you need in order to move forward with your life. You've had a lot of losses in a short time, but you can stop the downward spiral and change your life. I hope you continue to read and post here because there is lots of support.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi hun

That was me until a week ago and I signed up here! Everyday drinking from dinner time until I passed out and not remembering anything from the day before! I knew I was in serious trouble so I prayed then came on SR and it was God sent. The peeps on here are so helpful and encouraging. Its really been my lifeline.

Keep on here as often as you can and read others posts.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome SupGirl
Old 02-22-2016, 09:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Read as much as you can on SR .. I find it helps to fill my head full of recovery stuff. If you are okay with the idea of going to A.A, they can help you as well.

Make sure you eat as being hungry can be confused for a desire to drink.

I'm only on day 4 but for me that's big .. this time feels different for me because I'm just sick and tired of being sick and tired. As someone else said on SR once, "You are going to have to quit eventually anyway, why not now?"

Based on that quote, when I feel like drinking I've been thinking .. if I drink now I'll have to quit again .. it will be so much easier for me to build on my current 4 days than start again on day 1.

Stay motivated to do this! You have fallen but you can get back up again and look back on your life now as just part of your story, not your reality.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome SUPgirl, you will certainly find many helpful people on this forum.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm on day two, so think of me as someone going through detox with you. Stick with it, you deserve to be free from this! You will find that this website is full of folks that can actually understand you. Come here with your struggles and someone that's been through your exact or very similar pain can guide you.

Don't give up!

I'm on try number 30 or 40 and I've decided I must make it work this time. Sounds like you have too.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Its impossible to quit unless you are 100% committed to it. I'm married to sober. No such thing as normal drinking to me. The first drink acts like a handle on a toilet and down I go into the vortex of the drain. Happened many times before and would happen again if I have only one drink. The only permanent solution to alcoholism is abstinence and not pulling that handle.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi SUPgirl,
Today was my first AA meeting and my first day on drinking. Your not alone there's a lot of great support here.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR SUPGirl

D
Old 02-22-2016, 09:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

WOW, thanks for all your kind encouraging words. I'm not doing AA or any type of program. I'm seeing a counsellor weekly. I've done this enough times to know that nobody can do this for me. I'm putting things in place to help. Getting more into exercise and activities which don't revolve around drink. It's 1pm and I've just left work. My first thought was to go to the pub and get a couple of glasses of wine before heading home on the train. That's what I do. That's how each session starts. Today I'm straight on the train and heading home. I have more work to do when I get home so I intend to keep myself busy. I'm reading as much on this forum as possible and keeping a journal. It felt so good to wake without a hangover today so holding onto that positive feeling 😄
Old 02-23-2016, 04:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Here are some useful links SUPgirl

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html