Notices

New, hopeful and soaking wet

Old 02-15-2016, 01:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New, hopeful and soaking wet

Hello.

I'm new. I just wrote a whole load and it disappeared. I don't have the time to do it all again.

Stopped drinking a couple of days ago. I work, I have kids (reasons I've never sought face to face of professional help) and I manage ok JUST NOW. Started drinking daily to combat anxiety and lonliness when I became a single mum again. Drinking is having an impact on my relationships and especial my relationship with myself. I can drink 2 weeks straight in the evening.

Anyway without waffling on: can anyone tell me how long night sweats will last please? And any stories of increased productivity, energy, cofidence and any other positives to stopping.

Thank you. Xxx

I'm in the UK.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome sillybillytiger

It varies I think - mine were from a few days to 10 days.

There's no end to the positives of stopping. I say I live now where I used to exist.

I like looking in the mirror and not being ashamed. I like being responsible and available when those I love need me.

I love my life and myself now. I could never say that when drinking

Drinking is not doing your anxiety or your fears about loneliness any good anyway - extended use amplifies all those things - so there's so other reasons to quit..

The only catch is the improvements not always instant.

There's often a period of adjustment, both mental and physical, for your body and mind to repair themselves - but you'll find support here .

D
Old 02-15-2016, 02:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

There's no end to the positives of stopping. I say I live now where I used to exist.

I like looking in the mirror and not being ashamed. I like being responsible and available when those I love need me.

Drinking is not doing your anxiety or your fears about loneliness any good anyway - extended use amplifies all those things - so there's so other reasons to quit..

There's often a period of adjustment, both mental and physical, for your body and mind to repair themselves - but you'll find support here .

D
Thank you so much for your reply dee74.

I've tried to stop before and only lasted 6 days so I haven't had a normal nights sleep for years I suppose.

I'm very highly functioning with alcohol but when I drink I get drunk, no question...and that's not pretty .

I want to stop for me, so that I don't ever again wake up out of a stupor with that, ooh god feeling of shame and dread. The prospect of not drinking eliminates so many fears I have, will it be the thing that kills me?, will I have an accident and bang my head or maim myself?, will someone take my kids?, will I ever stop?, when will it start to be obvious to the outside world?, am I a good mummy?

I'm sure you understand many of those ^

How long have you need sober dee?

Xxx
Old 02-15-2016, 02:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

My drinking very nearly did kill me, but I've been sober since 2007

My old life revolved around alcohol - I drank all day every day - so I had to make a lot of changes in how I approached problems, my idea of fun and what my social life was like...

but like I say, I love my life now - so, no regrets at all.

D
Old 02-15-2016, 03:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My drinking very nearly did kill me, but I've been sober since 2007

My old life revolved around alcohol - I drank all day every day - so I had to make a lot of changes in how I approached problems, my idea of fun and what my social life was like...

but like I say, I love my life now - so, no regrets at all.

D
That's brilliant! Well done to you! Thank you so much for your warm welcome. Xxx
Old 02-15-2016, 03:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi SB, I was like you, drinking every night, presenting a normal face to the world and hating myself. You'll never regret giving up drinking and one great reward is waking up clear headed and proud of yourself.

Evenings seem like your danger time so eat dinner early and find some other rituals to help you relax. I sat in 'my' chair with a teapot and read.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What Dee said.

Welcome Sillybillytiger! This is my 6th day sober after years of very heavy drinking. Sure, the initial phase is difficult, but it does get better.

Have a look at this link and apply what is recommended in there. I've made a start with it and it really helps:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

Btw, text can disappear indeed. Copy and paste the text into Notepad before you try to post. That way you can simply past it back.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
Hi SB, I was like you, drinking every night, presenting a normal face to the world and hating myself. You'll never regret giving up drinking and one great reward is waking up clear headed and proud of yourself.

Evenings seem like your danger time so eat dinner early and find some other rituals to help you relax. I sat in 'my' chair with a teapot and read.
Hi there FG. Thank you! Yes it's very easy to continue when the only shame is the one you feel for yourself. Being single I can hide drinking, and just how much I drink quite easily (which I've been doing for quite some time). Time to stop putting off the inevitable though so tonight is my 3rd night sober. Well done to you for stopping too!

You're right about the evening, I bet a bit overwhelmed and want to escape. Having a small child in bed makes that impossible though so I turned to alcohol. I'll defo take your advice about dinner as I find that having a full tummy makes me crave alcohol less.

Thank you so much x
Old 02-15-2016, 04:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
What Dee said.

Welcome Sillybillytiger! This is my 6th day sober after years of very heavy drinking. Sure, the initial phase is difficult, but it does get better.

Have a look at this link and apply what is recommended in there. I've made a start with it and it really helps:

Btw, text can disappear indeed. Copy and paste the text into Notepad before you try to post. That way you can simply past it back.
Hi Mike M. Thank you for the welcome and we'll done to you on 6 days sober. This will be my third evening without. I'm really excited for when the withdrawal passes and I feel what life without alcohol feels like again. Are you? Although I already feel so much better! Gutted my kitchen today lol... It needed it xxx
Old 02-15-2016, 04:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sillybillytiger View Post
Hi Mike M. Thank you for the welcome and we'll done to you on 6 days sober. This will be my third evening without. I'm really excited for when the withdrawal passes and I feel what life without alcohol feels like again. Are you? Although I already feel so much better! Gutted my kitchen today lol... It needed it xxx
This is day 6 for me and the worst is over. I'm actually about to post an update.

My drinking days seem so far away already. I've gotten active and productive and have been having a lot of fun. Life without alcohol, I'm getting more and more glimpses of that. I still need to recover more, but it's that first week that is the hardest.

Remember, if you feel anxiety, depression, cravings, those are part of the withdrawal. Most people get some sort of emotional roller-coaster. But that is not how it will be. It is your brain resetting and getting back to functioning without alcohol. At first it feels miserable, but it is a good sign. After that, and that's already beginning to happen for me already, you can begin to feel joy, relaxation, fun and all those other good things again.

Just stay strong. Work on a plan. And you will feel better soon.

And the physical part btw. Yes, in varying degrees, people feel sick as the body detoxes. Also a good sign! And let's be honest. It's not the end of the world if you feel sick for a while, is it? Especially compared to a lifetime of feeling and being healthy afterward.

However miserable you feel. Emotionally, physically, spiritually, or in whatever way possible. It will pass. It's part of the cleansing process.

To be honest, I have a little bit of a weird response to all of it. It was the same when I felt sick when I quit smoking. I enjoy it. I enjoy it is a good sign. They're all signals that you're healing. Kind of like sore muscles after working out. I LOVE how that feels.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I quit drinking over six years ago and my life is better now than it's ever been.

I'm glad you joined us. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sillybillytiger View Post
Hello.

I'm new. I just wrote a whole load and it disappeared. I don't have the time to do it all again.

Stopped drinking a couple of days ago. I work, I have kids (reasons I've never sought face to face of professional help) and I manage ok JUST NOW. Started drinking daily to combat anxiety and lonliness when I became a single mum again. Drinking is having an impact on my relationships and especial my relationship with myself. I can drink 2 weeks straight in the evening.

Anyway without waffling on: can anyone tell me how long night sweats will last please? And any stories of increased productivity, energy, cofidence and any other positives to stopping.

Thank you. Xxx

I'm in the UK.

I embraced sobriety and within a year felt loads better about myself, my life, my everything.

Increased productivity
Increased happiness
Debt-Free
Savings in the bank
A happier family
A more present, honest, deeply-lived life
Better physical condition
Better sleep
Better energy
Ability to FEEL my emotions and live with and through them - rather than running and hiding from them
Being there for my loved ones
Free of guilt and shame
Grateful
Experiencing real Joy
Being able to fully Love
Loving and caring for Self.....

It's well worth embracing sobriety.

Far more rewarding and effective than drinking life away.....
Old 02-15-2016, 04:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome to SR!
Lots of great support and information here.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome SBT! Night sweats for me from detoxing are usually like a few days to maybe a week (tapering off). I think it depends on where each person is at and what they'd been doing to themselves exactly.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

D
This sums it up nicely
Old 02-15-2016, 11:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My night sweats only lasted one night, but I did inpatient detox so the meds probably helped with that.

As far as positive changes, the biggest for me is that alcohol is no longer the center of my world. Like Dee, I was an all day, every day drinker. I was either drinking, worrying about sneaking alcohol to wherever I was going, finding a store to buy my next bottle, or looking for a place to hide or dispose of my empties. I literally thought about alcohol every waking second. I also didn't have anyone to answer to when I was drinking - I lived alone, no kids, family far away, and as far as I know none of my coworkers ever noticed my problem. My problem mostly effected me and took over my life. In sobriety I enjoy "normal" activities without thinking about how long I have to wait until I can drink more. I've learned how to better cope with problems and anxiety. I worry less about the long list of things I need to do, and focus on living in the present. The skills that help me stay sober are applicable in all aspects of my life. I actually like my life NOW more than I did before I ever picked up a drink.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I say I live now where I used to exist.
I love that. Thank you Dee.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Sillybillytiger; very glad that you are here and want to live alcohol-free.

Life is exponentially better without alcohol!!!!!
Old 02-15-2016, 12:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

In addition to all the great things already said, a few suggestions:

--stay very close to SR online community, even when you are doing well.

--create a Plan

--Don't expect bad symptoms to instantly be gone and stay gone.

They come and go, but the longer you are completely away from alcohol, the fewer and further between will you feel the negatives. One of my major downfalls in the beginning was trying to MAKE symptoms go away forever, immediately. The body and brain need time. Be patient with yourself and give time, time.

--cutting back on sweets and exercising helped my symptoms (all kinds of symptoms)

Sugar caused blood sugar ups and downs and mood swings. Limiting it seemed to help remove some cravings too. Exercise is a MUST DO for recovery because it helps all the brain chemicals.....it's the best anti anxiety and anti depressant out there.

The first 2 weeks were the hardest for me. It's gotten easier since.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

I was pretty much an every night drinker, probably 360 out of 365 days a year.

For the past 6 years I've been sober 365 out of 365 days every year, so it can be done.