Notices

I'm new...

Old 02-10-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile I'm new...

Hi, I am a 55 year old women, full time executive, who has been an alcoholic for 10 years. I had some tragedy in my life that led me to numb myself in alcohol and it is time to put that aside, stop feeling sorry for myself and face my addiction.

I have tried a few AA meetings and found them very beneficial, and will now start to go on a regular basis, which is 2 times a week and once on a weekend. My job just will not allow anymore then that....in addition going to a 30 day rehab is out of the question.

I am looking for support and ANY advise you can give me for the first few days which I know will be very very difficult.

Anyway, I have made up my mind that I am over with this...Or I will die for sure.

PS I am already a cancer survivor...and yet killing myself with Vodka
Old 02-10-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You're smart to get sober. Life is so much better sober.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome!!!

My suggestion would be to read and participate a lot. Also make a plan for when your AV start yapping.

Remember that you are not alone. We are with you.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on your decision to become sober. It is so worth it. No more hangovers. No more night sweats. No more headaches from alcohol. No more risking a DUI. The list goes on and on. You will be amazed of the benefits.

Congrats also on being a cancer survivor. Fear of cancer is a big reason I decided to stop drinking and quit smoking in my early 30s. I don't think I could have made two better decisions within a couple of months of each other.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I'm new to recovery again myself--day 10--and this website has been a huge source of support for me so far.

Hope you'll join us on the Class of February 2016 thread here as well.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Welcome to SR you will find a lot of support here.
Going to AA for f2f support is a great idea. I would also suggest that you check in with your doctor just to be on the safe side and s/he might give you some meds to make the detox easier.
Make sure you stay well hydrated, I always recommend people drink sports drinks or Gatorade while detoxing but there are some on SR who swears by Pedialyte (the baby formula) because it balances your electrolytes.

I would recommend also that you join the class of February so you can network with your peers who quit at the same time and are going through fairly similar things

The Alcoholism and Addictions Help Forums- by SoberRecovery.com (Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 2)

I would also encourage you to join us at the 24 hours recovery connections where we commit not to drink or drug for the day. It is a fun supportive thread and way to hold ourselves accountable

The Alcoholism and Addictions Help Forums- by SoberRecovery.com (24-hour Recovery Connections Part 106)

I am glad you joined us. You can do it
Old 02-10-2016, 08:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! This is a great place to be; lots of great info and friendly folks who know what you're going through. Day 6 here for me!
Old 02-10-2016, 09:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I think you will find this site to be a wonderful tool in your recovery. I would suggest making a plan, posting in the 24 hour recovery group and joining the Class of February 2016. The first few days to a week will be difficult but you can do it with determination and putting all the tools you have available to you to work. You can do this!
Old 02-10-2016, 09:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello & Welcome Queenslady
Old 02-10-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi - welcome to SR, and to the fellowship from another AAer

As well as AA meetings, I try to get on here every day to keep my head in the zone.

Avoid the HALT triggers as much as possible (Hunger; Anger; Loneliness; Tired). If I got bad cravings, usually one or a few of those were rattling me, and dealing with those things helped.

I find that using the AA speaker recording s between meetings is very helpful.
This website is great for those... 5500+ AA Speakers & Tapes - Organized & Mobile-Friendly! (I have a hellish commute so download them and listen to them on a cheap little MP3 player)

I like to meet up with some of my AA friends for coffee or a stroll round the shops at the weekend sometimes - it's worth taking those telephone numbers when they're offered to you as it's nice to build up some sober friendships

You know those things you never tried because you were too busy drinking or hungover? Well, now's when you can start looking into giving them a go. So far in 2016 I've joined a local choir, and also started going to a Creative Writing group. Nothing ground-breaking, but I'm really enjoying both of these things.

I make sure that I arrange some things for Saturday nights at least twice a month - I love the theatre but it's generally too expensive for my budget, so I've been making more effort to go to amateur / local productions that are cheaper.

Wishing you well on your journey through sobriety to recovery
Old 02-10-2016, 10:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome! I highly suggest getting a sponsor. Look for a sober woman you respect who has what you want!

My sponsor is my lifeline and I am so grateful for her!

Other things that helped me:
Little treats - new slippers, a netflix subscription, fancy chocolates
Having a routine and committed AA meetings
Exercise
Sharing with others about what I was going through
Old 02-10-2016, 11:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hi Queenslady
Old 02-10-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Queenslady - you'll find a ton of support here

Do check out the various links that people have posted above

Glad to have you join us

D
Old 02-10-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi & Welcome Queenslady
Old 02-10-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Queenslady!

Some thoughts:

- I would second the advice about seeing a doctor. I did that on my Day 1 and was completely honest with her. She was not judgmental at all and very supportive. It allowed me to assess accurately where I was health-wise so I could start rebuilding my health with facts not fears.

- I also asked my doctor to refer me to a therapist which I recommend if you can find one you can work with. Those two things made my commitment to recovery a "serious" thing, if you know what I mean.

- I really enjoy the class thread here - the group support is fantastic. It keeps me honest too.

- Reach out for help here whenever you feel you need it.

Lovely to see you here and please stay on SR - it will help you on your recovery journey.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to meet you, Queenslady! You sound determined & ready to do this.
It helps so much to talk things over with those who understand. It really made all the difference for me. Welcome.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome.

Vodka became my poison too. I'm about your age, have a high profile job and a 30 day inpatient rehab was just not in the cards. What worked for me was finally giving up and trying AA along with spending a lot of time on this website. Now I'm nearing the 6 year mark. You can do it too!
Old 02-10-2016, 07:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Queenslady; glad you found.

Congratulations on choosing sobriety; is benefits are amazing.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hello!!! I've got 15 days. I decided to do a day treatment program 15 days ago. I have felt guilty about leaving my job to do this but I'm worth it. You are too!
Old 02-10-2016, 08:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~sb

Glad you found SR!!!