Notices

Relapse **this may trigger**

Old 02-06-2016, 02:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse **this may trigger**

Hi,
Last weekend I wanted to relax and have a drink. After staying sober for about a month. I thought to give it a try, that life must be not that with so many restrictions I used to have...so, I bought a bottle of wine. I didn't get drunk, but I realize that afterwards I had some headache. I also notice that I didn't get drunk because I can have more drinks without getting drunk... I haven't drink since then, but weekends used trigger me as well as some food... I've been dealing with depression better on my own (I still don't talk about this to anyone except you).

Any insight is welcome.

Thanks.
Katze
Old 02-06-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Katze, I tried to moderate for a long time, periods of abstinence and then trying to see if drinking would work again, the problem was that maybe not straight away on the first day, but over the next week or so things would spiral as bad as ever again.

As you mention also I began to see the real effects alcohol was having, compared to my periods of Sobriety.

Weekends were tough though and it came down to changing up my routines, sitting alone in my house was never going to end well, I needed to plan in some activities, even if it was a long walk, or household chores etc, whatever it was to break up my weekends.

You can do this!! Hang in there!!
Old 02-06-2016, 04:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Abstinence does not equal control. I also tried to drink normally after staying sober for periods of time, but always failed. It was easier for me to stop drinking completely.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Drinking again was never the answer for me - I didn;t drink because I was in a bad phase - I drank because I was an alcoholic.

Likewise abstinence did not give me some kind of control over alcohol. Sooner or later I was always back to the way I used to drink.

D
Old 02-08-2016, 05:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the insights, it really gives me the power to try it again. Although I didn't get drunk this time, I felt the difference in my body, being sober versus drinking... it really makes me feel worst emotionally...
Old 02-08-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, that's what alcohol does to us. It's not just physical, but emotional damage that we inflect upon ourselves.

I'm glad you found us.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I've always had a tendency for depression .

It took 6 months of sobriety then my depression lifted more than it ever has done in my life .
I hope you give full sobriety a chance . i've tried to live life drinking for 20 years as an adult, i'm going to give at least 20 years sober a try

m
Old 02-08-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you thought about recovery meetings or doing something non alcohol on the weekends ?