I have a puppy comment issue - not sure if this is ot

Old 02-05-2016, 07:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have a puppy comment issue - not sure if this is ot

I found a 5 month old puppy(really cute) that seems like a really really good fit for me(shepherd/husky mix) however it is at the humane society near where my daughter is going to school, and has a touch of mange. I would have to drive the puppy up there once a week for treatment until she was cured. Also working 2 jobs, 7 days a week, plus the financial commitment/minor health issue I am balking, Sadly this is getting to be a pattern.

Input please

Cricket
Old 02-05-2016, 07:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cricket,
I am a dog lover!! IMO, I think your plate is full. Puppies are like infants, they are so adorable but they are soooooo much work. Not sure if you really want all that work on your plate right now. They pee and pooh, they chew every thing, they are expensive with all the shots and the mange, they need to be walked and played with, besides the food, toys and stuff they need.

Did you have a cage for her/him or would she be out? That is another expense. I love dogs, but always tell my friends, hit me in the head if I tell you I want a puppy. There are older dogs that are calm, and don't chew, and potty trained and don't need to be run that might be a little better fit then a puppy.

Sorry to say that, but working 2 jobs is not a lot of time to spend on the puppies first year or two.

Hugs my friend, I hope you make the right decision for yourself.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have a crate, big fenced in back yard with chickens that are attracting other wild animals - I had to get rid of a opossum a couple of weeks ago and I see raccoon tracks around and there has been house break-ins in this area(I'm here by myself) - mostly around Christmas. 5 months old is a 2 or 3 year old in humans (no up every 2 hours to take them out) and trainable. Daughter went to see her and reports that she is a very calm dog. The guy that was there showing her said she was calm and not much bothers her.

Until the ex moved out I have had dogs - he took both.

But maybe I do need to be hit on the head.

keep on with the input I would like to hear more.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

cricket.....sounds very much like the dog that I had that passed from old age....Jake. He was a rescue, also.... He was a German shepard/huskie mix...looked much more like German shepard...just a little smaller than a [pure breed..
Jake was one of the two best dogs that I have ever had! So intelligent and well behaved...so loyal and obedient!
Of course, he was 2yrs. old when I got him....he had, at one time, lived on a farm and herded the goats...and lived and slept with them in the barn. He was gentle and friendly....always trying to herd the cats...lol....
He was an excellent guard dog....in the sense that he knew when to bark and when not to... Of course, strangers tend to have respect for a German shepard...because they look formidable....(I live in a suburb with a large fenced in yard).
I have had lots of dogs, over the years...he was my first ti me to own a German shepard.....I cannot not say enough about the intelligence and easy trainability of these dogs!
I just have to add that it is up to you to decide whether you can give the dog what she would need for her natural life.....to me--it is like taking on the responsibility of a child....you are responsible to them for their lifetime.....

good luck with your decision......

dandylion
Old 02-06-2016, 04:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dog fanatic here...licensed vet tech, shelter volunteer, taught training classes, owned ten so far...and first THANK YOU for thinking this through. So many people do this on impulse and it's always the dog who pays.

That said, with you working as hard as you do, I don't think this is the dog or the time. That mix may be calm in the shelter and because she doesn't feel well, but once she does, she's probably going to need a ton of exercise and training. Those two breeds are among the top ten in bite incidents and while there are always exceptions, shepherds are guarder/herders and huskies were bred to run all day long.

Maybe contact a rescue or look for an older retriever or other more family friendly breed?
Old 02-06-2016, 05:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello Cricket,

Since I work and my life is pretty busy, I have not taken in puppies for our last two dogs. I knew I wouldn't have enough help to train them or be with them from my H. DS was too young then. I've found rescue dogs that are 1-2 years old. There is a lot to be said about bringing one home that is already potty trained! Thankfully I learned to harden my heart by using Petfinder. That way I'm not standing inside a shelter thinking I have to rescue every sad eyed dog. I start thinking, I can make it work even though the dog isn't really what I wanted. Ha ha, that is pretty much how I used to pick who I dated too! Who can I save?

Ironically I found my current dog several hours away from me, but the organization actually brought dogs to a nearby Petsmart, so it worked out great that I could meet the dog before taking her home. I got my third dog from the same rescue group too.

Perhaps this dog is to get you thinking? What do you want your life to be like now? Do you want to cut back on some of your responsibilities to commit to a puppy? Look on Petfinder to see if there is a similar dog with less health issues?

Take care Cricket! I'm sure whatever you decide will be the next right thing.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One more thought...a puppy with mange did not come from a very healthy environment and odds are good she was taken away from her mom and littermates early. This can mean poor socialization and a lower immune system.

I once adopted a puppy from a pet store because I couldn't resist him. He had mange...then giardia (intestinal parasite, he had diarrhea for months), then tape worm, then ringworm. The vet added a new wing to her practice around that time and I'm pretty sure I paid for it...
Old 02-06-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Cricket I THANK YOU for thinking this through! I am also a dog person (volunteer with 2 rescue groups to do their home visits to see if applicants qualify). I agree that this is not the time and that a puppy with health issues would put too much on your plate and wouldn't be fair to the puppy. I agree then when the time is calmer for you and you can spend time acclimating an older, calmer dog then you could look into it. Both my dogs were rescues and my last came straight from the pound and had been a street dog. He was a mess, but I knew he had a true and willing heart (he didn't much care for people - they had not been very nice to him).I did a DNA test on him and he's a Golden Retriever German Shepard mix! Best.Dog.Ever. But it did take time, patience, and LOTS of love but it was worth every second. He's my buddy 😊
Old 02-06-2016, 06:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

my best dog ever was a lab/chow mix I had people offer me money for him.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

cricket.....do you have the presence of anyone who can (and is willing) to share dogcare with you?
I have found that makes a big difference for someone who is working outside the home......

dandlion
Old 02-06-2016, 06:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm a sucker for dogs myself... And those little puppy faces??? Kiss kiss kiss.

Good luck in your decision, that's a hard one!

Last edited by Lilro; 02-06-2016 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-06-2016, 06:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Dandylion

Well my son may (if his dad don't give him a hard time about it) be able to stop by here and there but other than that not really, here and there maybe but nothing consistence.

My Chickens are real easy check on food and water once a day anytime and they are done. (I do check and make sure they are in the coop at night too without any wild friends camping out in there with them)
Old 02-06-2016, 07:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Cricket my other dog came from a rescue group and she's lab/chow on one side, cocker/Aussie the other side! She's SUPER SMART and soon laid back!
Old 02-06-2016, 07:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am so glad you are thinking this through. I am a dog lover.

In the first 3 months that my dog was with us he managed to break a leg and indgest a stone which got stuck and he nearly died, plus worming, tick médicine etc etc I paid out nearly 3000 euros in vet fees. It was very stressful.

If the little pup gets ill are you in a financial postition to care for him?

Personally I would wait a little longer before taking on such a major commitment.

Keep us posted.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

finances is a concern. Anything goes wrong and I will soon (3-4 months) be in a pickle.

I do have some savings but that would only go so far.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I rescued a pup just before I left my ex. He is the greatest support ever, BUT raising him was almost like raising a child. My dog turned out to be a super high energy herding breed, not even close to the breed they said he was at first. I lost around 20 pounds since I got him. And he got 20 pounds heavier than they said he would be. The only reason I was able to keep him is that I work at home. If you have a working dog breed (shepherd + husky), these dogs tend to be high maintenance, super smart, but rather difficult, especially during their puppy stage and teenage months.

If you really want a dog, perhaps you could consider getting a senior dog, whose personality is well known and who is not going to require too much time and attention.

I do not regret my decision to adopt that puppy of mine, but thinking back, it was struggle.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have friends who arrived at the conclusion they had too many dogs. I really liked Spike the beagle, but expressed to my friend that finances were a concern. I already have pets. She went through what she felt dogs, need: in our state, rabies vaccine is required, plus parvo, distemper, worming, tick and flea treatment, and heart worm treatment several months a year, I declined.

I work two jobs with a forty minute commute each way...no way I could give the dog the time he deserved, either. My friend's husband makes enough that she can stay home.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
I have to add my voice to the "older is better" crowd.

The dog I grew up with was 3 when my father brought her home. Fully trained and amazingly socialized. No mysteries waiting to be discovered. Best dog ever. I think she was a German Shepard/Collie mix, but we weren't too into breeds so it didn't matter. She was a mutt. A perfect mutt.

(btw: My cat (my darling/my nemesis) was suppose to be an adult when we got him from the pound years ago. I wanted to adopt an adult because a)I had such a great experience with the dog, and b)Adult cats have a harder time finding homes than kittens. (It was a kill shelter). We took him to the vet the day after bringing him home, and found out he was only 6 months old. Just a really, really, really big kitten. Anyway, he kept growing, and growing. Now I live with a mountain lion.)
Old 02-06-2016, 04:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Taking care of our dogs has definitely impacted my own finances. I love pets! I also love that idea of dog-sharing instead of taking on the full responsibility. I need to start looking for friends who are willing to take my dogs in occasionally for me. As with wanting a kitten, a puppy and any business ventures/ideas I currently have pop up... I keep telling myself there will be plenty of opportunities in the future.