On the fence about a FT job

Old 02-06-2016, 07:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On the fence about a FT job

I have been working Part time for the last 5 months and love my schedule- I get to pick what days/ hrs I want to work as long as I meet all the requirements that are needed on a weekly/monthly basis. I can only work 16 hrs a week. Love that I can take a day off if the kids are sick, have a dr's appt or have a day off for me if I want. Plus I am home for the bus every day so no extra day care costs (until a week long school break or summer vacation) So many perks to the position I have. My job knows that I would like a bit more hrs though, with the same flexibility to be there for the kids so I was asked to help in another department, doing something I did years ago, while they search for a replacement (which they anticipate will take awhile based on past experience filling this position.) I am not interested in that position though as it involves being on call at night and working weekends (difficult with being a single mom of 2 little ones.) Looking forward to the extra $ and working when I can fit in the hrs ( 6-15 hrs/week.)

The down side- no benefits (retirement, sick, vacation, health, etc.) I have health insurance through AH (which is always a better plan) and if I didn't I would qualify though the health exchange. Also when kids are sick and I need to get my hrs in it can be a bit stressful trying to fit them in if it is the end of the week (which is why I normally schedule my meetings/hr in the beginning of the week to have some wiggle room.)

I keep thinking that I should find something FT though, or maybe I feel that I am just expected to now that the kids are both in school and that I qualify for SNAP right now. That covers our monthly food expenses, so financially we are doing OK. I am putting aside some $ from my paychecks and AH is paying more than he would be required if I took him to court for child support. The house is in both our names and since he works high up in a bank he knows the importance of keeping the credit scores up, so not worried about him short changing me (right now) on helping with the bills. We do have a quite a bit of work that is needed to be done in the next few years on the house (furnace/roof.)

Yesterday I saw 2 jobs posted that I know I am qualified to do- one is at the agency I currently work at. My supervisor shared it with me, even though it would mean she would lose me. I know that the agency wants to keep me (they are the ones that approached me about returning last yr to work.) It is a regular M-F, 8-4:30 position. The downside- long days (the 20 min drive every day to work and and we would not get home til after 5:30 by the time I got them from day care.) That would make our nights very hectic between dinner, homework and showers/baths along with everything else needed to run a household. The perks- the $. I am pretty sure I would start at a pretty high step based on my experience. I used to cover in that department years ago and while things have changed, I am pretty sure I would get the job. I love the agency I work for and believe in what they do.

The 2nd job I saw posted is a position with the local DSS office. Its a position which I said I would always love to do. The perks- close to home, done at 4, so means kids and I would be home by 4:30, plus DD would not even need day care 2 days a week b/c dance gets over at 4. The County has a great retirement package. I would also be close to school if there is an emergency or if there was a school function in the middle of the day where I could adjust my lunch and not even have to take time off. The downside- a lot less money than the FT position at my agency.

So I have 3 options really:
Stay PT
apply for FT position at my current agency
apply for FT position at the county

I am just not sure what to do. AH said I can do whatever I want to, and that's true, but I like to here other's thoughts as I am torn. Where my MIL and mom have pointed out there the PT has lots of perks and that I seem pretty happy with my current position and we are not getting behind financial (but not saving a whole lot either.)

Anyone been in a similar situation? Do I apply for both jobs and see what happens and if I get offered something then decide- or hand it over to my HP and just see what he has in store for me? Looking for some input. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2016, 07:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How old are your children? (Sorry if I missed it.)
Old 02-06-2016, 07:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

DD8 (9 next month) and DS6
Old 02-06-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Does the job with the county pay more than your current position?
Old 02-06-2016, 07:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

The County position sounds like the best fit for your lifestyle right now. I don't know what "a lot less money" than the FT position at your current agency works out to, but things like retirement benefits and more time for yourself and your kids is worth a lot in themselves.

It never hurts to apply for jobs. You aren't obligated to take what is offered. The downside to applying for a FT job with your agency, though, is that if you decide NOT to take it, it might hurt your future prospects there.

Just based on what you wrote, I think I'd apply for the County job and find out when you can expect pay increases. IF you are offered the job, THEN you can make the final decision, but from where I sit, there are a lot of positives with the County job.

Full disclosure: I worked at a County job for 22 years. I could have made more money in the private sector, but government work was very good to me.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Then my current PT position with the extra hrs? Yes, not quite double what I currently make.

But day care will cost me $250/wk if I am FT (5 days a week) during the summer. If I just work 3 days- $150
Old 02-06-2016, 07:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have a close friend that works at the county (actually her position that is open as she is transferring to a different department.) She gave me an idea of how salaries increase yearly by steps and depending on union contracts.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I also think that if you want to make a switch, the county position offers more of what you need right now in your life: flexibility, time with your children, and benefits.