Notices

Intervention

Old 02-03-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Intervention

My family have given me a talking to about my drinking and generally self destructive behaviours. Told me how selfish I've been and the worry I've put them through with my moping, not looking after myself and disappearing acts when I drink.

I'm completely miserable. I have been so ungrateful and treated them so badly with my careless behaviour. When will this get better?
Old 02-03-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When will it get better?

When you put down the drink for good.

It is soooo worth it! I put my family through hell. They are back in my life now and so proud of me. I'm so glad I kicked booze to the curb.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It will start to get better when you decide to quit drinking and take action. I know that no matter how much I hurt my family; no matter what they said to me, it made little difference and I just kept on drinking. I had to accept the consequences though.

You can quit. Eventually your relationships with your family will probably heal. You have to take action first.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

It will get better when you take decisive action to make it better.

There are different ways you can take action (inpatient rehab, outpatient rehab, AA, SMART recovery, faith-based recovery groups, etc.).

Whatever approach you use, it will require putting a 100% permanent stop to the drinking.

Are you ready for that?
Old 02-03-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would agree with what's already been said. You have the power to make it end whenever you choose, but you must stop drinking first. Your actions will do all the talking if you can commit to a plan and show people that you are serious about quitting and staying sober.

So the real question is - are you prepared to do whatever it takes to quit?
Old 02-03-2016, 01:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Starsailor you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink

Can I ask you why is alcohol so important to you - you don't have to answer but its worth thinking about

It gets better when you accept you can't drink safely or responsibly your not alone I can't either but I accept it & by doing so I had to find support & put a plan into place which really helps

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html

Know by taking action now you never have to feel like this again
Old 02-03-2016, 01:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It will get better when you stop engaging in drinking and the self destructive behaviors it brings.

I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree, you can stop the pain your family is feeling by stopping drinking. Once you do that, both you and your family members can begin to heal and hopefully forgive.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My entire family were at their wits end with my drinking and the awful effects it was having on my behaviour towards members of my family and myself.
I never listened to any of them, I hated their blaming and my guilt so still the cycle continued
The day I stopped and knew it was 'now or never' was just another day to my family but it's etched in my mind as the day I gave myself another shot at life and I've only looked back to see how far I've already come since then.
Today really can be the first day of the rest of your life!

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
Old 02-03-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by starsailor View Post
My family have given me a talking to about my drinking and generally self destructive behaviours. Told me how selfish I've been and the worry I've put them through with my moping, not looking after myself and disappearing acts when I drink.

I'm completely miserable. I have been so ungrateful and treated them so badly with my careless behaviour. When will this get better?
depends on what ya mean.
if ya mean when will you stop being ungreatful,selfish, self destructive, moping, and keep doing the disappearing act while continueing to drink and it all gets better........
never. and it will get worse.
however, if ya put as much effort into getting sober as ya do to get drunk-ya work for sobriety and a better life(because it aint gonna just pop up and everythings rosey just because ya stopped drinking)-
in time.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like everyone else has said it gets better when we put the drink down for good

Do you have a plan starsailor?

D
Old 02-03-2016, 07:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When will this get better?

You already know the answer.

Now, the problem is figuring out how to do it. What worked for me was finally giving in and trying AA, and spending a lot of time on this website in the begining.