Notices

Feeling hopeless and defeated

Old 01-31-2016, 09:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Feeling hopeless and defeated

I have made the decision to stop drinking so many times. I just recently realized i haven't taken a break longer than 2 weeks in years! I am 29 years old and I still take shots of tequila. When i notice the tequila is getting out of control, i just drink wine for awhile and then I start to think, oh i have my drinking under control and before i know it, i'm blacked out drunk. I almost black out every time i drink. It is awful. It has affected so many relationships in my past that you would think i would have learned my lesson. I knew at an extremely early age that i have had this problem. I sent myself to an in patient rehab when i was 21 years old for an entire year for goodness sakes. I still haven't learned. So then what is it going to take? My boyfriend and I haven't been dating very long, almost 5 months. We moved in together after a short time of dating. Things moved quickly. I think because we absolutely love each other. Except tonight he has asked me to move out. That the things he loves me doesn't outweigh the things he doesn't love about me. My drinking. I have never loved somebody so much. I know you shouldn't do something for somebody and you should do it for yourself because that is what is really going to make the change. But i need to do it for him and myself. I really want to make this relationship work and he is going to be my motivation. I don't know if he will take me back. This has got to be like the 7th time i came home blacked out drunk in the last 5 months. He's older and he's just not willing to put up with it anymore. He has a lot going on in his life and this is just not helping and its adding more stress to the relationship. I feel so helpless with this addiction. I know i am a strong person and a strong individual. How come I am not strong enough to quit this addiction?!
Old 01-31-2016, 10:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Zap!

I believe that it's pretty much impossible to quit drinking alone. We need help. I hope you find it here at SoberRecovery or in a recovery meeting near you!

Read around and post often--it works if you work it!
Old 01-31-2016, 10:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Zap

I found that although I was a strong person, I was addicted.
That meant that at least a part of my will wanted to drink.

so...willpower was simply me fighting against me.

Acceptance worked a lot better for me - once I accepted I was an alcoholic and that alcohol was simply & utterly bad for me, it made the decision to drink again that much harder.

You'll find a lot of support here to help too
Welcome aboard

D
Old 01-31-2016, 10:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Zap! It's good to have you here with us. There is hope!
Old 01-31-2016, 10:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Welcome, Zap. It's awful when we realize that our drinking has destroyed a relationship we cherish. I don't know if that's the case with you, but rather than sober up in an effort to win him back -- which may or may not work, that depends entirely on him -- sober up so that, being mentally and healthy inside yourself, you'll be a fine catch for anyone.

By pegging your recovery to his acceptance and taking you back, you risk ruining your recovery in the event that he doesn't.

That is why we have to do it for ourselves and no one else: we can't control what other people do, we can only control ourselves. And for me, that means not drinking.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Zap. Keep coming here.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Zap really nice to meet you
Old 02-01-2016, 08:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree, I think it is impossible to quit drinking alone. I haven't faithfully committed to something as AA, although I have been to meetings. I haven't joined a community such as SoberRecovery. I'm already finding peace knowing that there are others struggling with the same thing I am and it's at my fingertips. Thanks for responding.

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Welcome, Zap!

I believe that it's pretty much impossible to quit drinking alone. We need help. I hope you find it here at SoberRecovery or in a recovery meeting near you!

Read around and post often--it works if you work it!
Old 02-01-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for the encouragement.

Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
Welcome, Zap. It's awful when we realize that our drinking has destroyed a relationship we cherish. I don't know if that's the case with you, but rather than sober up in an effort to win him back -- which may or may not work, that depends entirely on him -- sober up so that, being mentally and healthy inside yourself, you'll be a fine catch for anyone.

By pegging your recovery to his acceptance and taking you back, you risk ruining your recovery in the event that he doesn't.

That is why we have to do it for ourselves and no one else: we can't control what other people do, we can only control ourselves. And for me, that means not drinking.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Get some support, both here at SR and in real life. You can get and stay sober but it takes some effort and a lot of changes.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's beautiful.

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Welcome Zap really nice to meet you
Old 02-01-2016, 08:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Since I am new to SoberRecovery are there any suggestions you can give? Do I just post when I'm feeling weak or just daily? I'm not entirely sure how this works...

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the family. Get some support, both here at SR and in real life. You can get and stay sober but it takes some effort and a lot of changes.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, zaqp; glad you found us.

Post as often as you want or need to.

Have you considered joining an SR Class.

You might also want to drop into the 24 Hour Recovery thread each day. I'll post the links in a few minutes.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Here are the links, zap:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-103-a.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-1-a.html
Old 02-01-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Here are some useful links Zap & thank you

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 02-01-2016, 12:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)