Notices

A new life

Old 01-28-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A new life

I've been wrestling the last couple of days as to whether or not to continue posting here. On one hand, I 100% benefitted from SR this month, and without it, I do not think I would have emerged in the other end of the alcohol cloud I had been stuck in for 2 years. On the other hand, I'm coming to terms that I don't quite fit the sober mold that is encouraged on this site, and I don't want to derail anyone with my new direction towards moderation.

I started off January in a dark place, and alcohol was absolutely the culprit. I was drinking 2 bottles of wine a day, starting when I woke up until I went to sleep. I gave little thought to food and nutrition, was entirely out of shape, and very depressed. I had this idea that my only reprieve came from the very alcohol that was causing my discontent. I was living a truly miserable existence. So, I decided to give up alcohol. I didn't know for how long, and the first few days were SO VERY HARD. Every voice is my head was trying to convince me that sobriety was a bad idea. I was even telling myself that I was depriving myself of wine's antioxidants, therefore, I was being unhealthy. HA!

Well, with the help of exercise and SR, I lasted 13 days before I gave in one Sunday and had 2 glasses of wine. When I was done with the second glass, I corked my bottle and went to bed satisfied and okay. After posting on SR, I received a lot of advice from people who warned me of the dangers of moderation and the slippery slope it might lead to. However, at that point, I felt I was turning a corner. The 2 drinks did NOT, in fact, derail me. I repledged my sobriety to SR, as everyone told me to do. However, a week later, I was out with a group of friends from college at a fun restaurant and thought, why not? I had 1 drink, had a great night, and went home and got a good night sleep.

Since then, I have not had anything. My cravings are gone! At a wine event last night for work (I work for a winery) I had a couple sips of some new vintages that I had wanted to try, and stopped at that.

In one month, I've had 2 instances where I have had a couple drinks, and have not had a problem stopping. I have been exercising every day, and just ran a 5k (who, ME?!) I'm eating better. I am communicating better at work and for the first time in years feel confident with my work performance. I have no more troubles at night with cravings. I still have many worries and stresses, but I finally understand that alcohol is not the answer. If I want a glass of wine one night, I will allow myself, but so far it has not become a thought. I feel as thought I have emerged on the other side. My head is CLEAR and my heart is HAPPY. I haven't felt like a real person like this in years. I am no longer controlled by booze!

So, I wanted to let you all know that I won't be posting anymore, not because I have fallen again, but because I don't feel it would be appropriate to those who are really struggling and need advice I cannot give. Of course, I will continue to read posts, they are still very therapeutic.

Thanks SR, you all have changed my life!!! I know it is not the typical path of recovery that people encourage here, but I can confidently say that GONE are the days I would binge, and get wasted. This year is the year I start living again, and if that means a drink here and there, I finally have the ability to control and enjoy it.

Best wishes to everyone <3
Old 01-28-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Seep9871 View Post
In one month, I've had 2 instances where I have had a couple drinks, and have not had a problem stopping...I am no longer controlled by booze!
Seems like a small sample size, but hey, not everyone who finds their way to SR needs to be here. But we'll be here if things go south for you.

Good luck.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

You know the signs to watch out for. If it starts creeping up on you again, be sure to kick its a** sooner rather than later.

Good luck! :-)
Old 01-28-2016, 05:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
p***enger

Don't feel you have to be a stranger if you need us!
Old 01-29-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like I said to you in a past thread - set some pretty stringent parameters...and if you break those parameters consistently... you might have to consider it's a bigger problem than you want it to be?

Of course people with no problem shouldn't have to set parameters at all....
but...I hope you're right and I wish you well Seep

D
Old 01-29-2016, 03:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Good for you, hope it sticks! I got my drinking under control exactly the same once... well at least until I lost control again and ended right back in the same dark place I had come from.

Just be aware of 'kindling' in case it affects you.

Hope we never see you again (in the nicest possible way) but check in once and a while to let us know you're going.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

SR is always here for you Seep!!