Notices

Triggered by the Forecast

Old 01-20-2016, 01:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Triggered by the Forecast

Yesterday morning, I heard we were getting 4-8" of snow.
Then I heard 12."
By evening people were saying 2 feet.
And just now I heard up to 26".

This is what we are worrying about for Saturday, which is three days away. And if we are worrying, I'm not quite clear on why because most people in my sphere don't even work on Saturdays!

For them maybe it's just a matter of wonderment, sort of like "The Powerball is up to $900 million."

My reaction is more of a really triggery anxious kind of thing.

I won't drink and will work on using this as a great exercise in how to handle/cope/live through or maybe somehow convert a trigger into something benign or maybe even useful.

What do you guys think?
Anybody else feel the same?
Old 01-20-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I was drinking, I'd use bad weather coming as a reason to buy more wine so I wouldn't run out. Now I make sure I have groceries and pet food.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Regret of yesterday and fear of tomorrow - or at the very least great trepidation of what hasn't happened.

Good for you on recognizing it and making it a growth opportunity! The hammer and the anvil pound each other.........

It will be what it will be - stock up sans booze and stay warm.

"I've lived thru some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened."
Mark Twain - I think ?
Old 01-20-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yup, most of what we worry about never happens. But, like you, I'd use excuses like that to choose to drink. It made sense at the time.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Obladi good to see you again!

I live in Australia where it's summer now. In my winter I read on SR that northern hemisphere people want to drink because it's summer and "everyone" drinks in summer -- July 4th, Memorial Day and other days whose names I can't recall.

Now that it's winter a snow day can be a reason to drink.

This is not criticism, merely an observation, because we do the same thing here with our own weather conditions.

I read something interesting about Australian drinking yesterday which probably applies to the US, Canada, UK and European countries too.

One in five Australians consume three quarters of alcohol, report finds
Old 01-20-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Anxiety about the future is a big issue for many of us. It's one of the main things I tried to escape with my drinking i'm finding, but of course it never worked.

Learning to deal with and live in the present is an ongoing struggle/goal for me. But I think it always helps to remember that things like the weather simply happen. Worrying about it is pointless as there's absolutely nothing you can do to change it. You could certainly prepare for a big storm by stocking up on food/water if you think you might need to stay home for a couple of days, but in reality it's just going to snow ( or rain, or whatever ) right?
Old 01-20-2016, 04:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A proper alcoholic can find any reason to drink. Many things/events can be a trigger. I know that was the case for me. The first time not drinking through each of those events/triggers is a new and sometimes difficult experience. But once you've accomplished it, I believe it becomes much easier. For me, it was rain. Rain day meant no work, no work meant drink all day.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

That's what I get for writing in a rush.

I'm not triggered to drink by the forecast, but am feeling annoyed/irritated by the hype. Maybe that's not the correct use of the word trigger, but it sure feels the same as when I was resisting the urge to drink.

Like ... it's going to be what it's going to be. Unless it isn't.

Anyhow. It's just bugging me. Maybe because it's such a waste of energy. I mean, it's not a hurricane - it's snow! But that's my thing. Other people must get something out of it, so I'll try to chill.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hey, Marcher, good to see you too!
I'm glad to be back.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
That's what I get for writing in a rush.

I'm not triggered to drink by the forecast, but am feeling annoyed/irritated by the hype. Maybe that's not the correct use of the word trigger, but it sure feels the same as when I was resisting the urge to drink.

Like ... it's going to be what it's going to be. Unless it isn't.

Anyhow. It's just bugging me. Maybe because it's such a waste of energy. I mean, it's not a hurricane - it's snow! But that's my thing. Other people must get something out of it, so I'll try to chill.
You must be watching TV. Don't.

I am so relieved to be free of the anxiety of being snowed in and run out of booze...
Old 01-20-2016, 07:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

As Thomas posted when I was drinking, just about any event was a good reason to relapse but that has changed. Yes it used to be a good storm was a great reason to stock up, last weekend we had a 45cm storm (18"), since my dog loves the snow as does my better half and her dog, we simply went for a walk in it and let the dogs play.

I am blessed that my GF does not drink (doesn't like the taste) we went to a pub this evening as this one has amazing food, she looked at me and asked, Andrew doesn't it bother you or trigger your beast as you call it when you see all those guys at the bar getting hammered. I said no, I actually feel bad for them which is the truth.

I believe because I am working my plan so hard my AV simply has no room to talk and I plan on keeping it that way for good.

Stay safe my friend, it's only snow and yes I have been watching the news and it looks like quite the storm but like withdraws, it will pass

Andrew
Old 01-20-2016, 07:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I hear you Obladi, I am in the eastern US also. The media has hyped this thing up to the point that you probably won't be able to find a roll of toilet paper on store shelves tomorrow! Its always the same thing when the forecast is calling for a snow storm. Do people only eat bread and milk when its snowing?? Those seem to be the hottest commodities when the forecast is calling for snow.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

We had about an inch tonight and no one seemed to know how to drive! I didn't think it was that bad as I drove slowly home from my home group AA meeting.

Don't buy any, get some good food and some recipes and a list of things to do. Don't forget to shovel slowly.....

Snow used to be time to party, alone. Today, I have SR and Things To Accomplish (and some standby things in case of no electricity).

Stay strong, stay stopped, move forward. Time for New Things To Accomplish!!!

You can do this and feel stronger about your sobriety!
Old 01-20-2016, 07:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I don't watch TV. Haven't for years. Netflix, yes - TV with commercials and insipid "news" programs, no.

And yeah, the way people have the sudden urge to buy up all toilet paper in site is so peculiar.

After "smowmaggedon" (is that what they called that crazy string of blizzards about 5 years ago?), I remember going to the grocery store with my kids and the ENTIRE frozen pizza section was empty. What kind of disaster planning is that? (And you know, you really ought to economize on the toilet paper if the water goes out and you have to be flushing toilets with melted snow, Just saying.)

Alright, now it's starting to tickle my funny bone, which is better than being annoyed. And seriously, no worries about me picking up. That option is not on the table.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm in eastern Virginia and the local weather news folks will probably be cutting into programs for updates here soon even before the storm, they always do this hype stuff.

Oh and the drivers, lot of idiots will be all off the road and all manner of wrecks.
Just slow down jeez.