Notices

Hello (again)

Old 01-20-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello (again)

Hi all
Im not new here but I havent been here for a very long time since my last attempt at coming clean failed miserably.
I was dealing with way to much in life at the time to to attempt sobriety. debt, unemployment, depression and a new baby.
But here I am again but in a better life position. So thought id introduce myself again, and crawl through this sobriety **** 1 more time.

Names Gary. Im 30, a plumber from croydon and beer (or whatever alcohol is around) is what I dont want in my life anymore.
I drink around 10 cans of lager a day.
I need to end this!
Old 01-20-2016, 08:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi! Glad you came back!!! Xoxo
Old 01-20-2016, 08:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Back!!! We all are here for you!
Old 01-20-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad you are back!!
Old 01-20-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for your welcomes

So how do I start? How do I get the ball rolling on this?

Alcohol has been such a big part of my life for about 15 years now.... I cant remember what it was like with out it.
I want to just stop, but I know that is dangerous. So do I cut down? Problem is even if I have a sip... thats it, im drinking until I go to sleep
Old 01-20-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back Liquid. Have you got a plan in place to help you through?
Old 01-20-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hey, welcome bk
Old 01-20-2016, 10:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back, liquid; we are here for you.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Gary

how do you start? You could see your Dr for help, see a counsellor, go to a meeting based recovery group like AA or one of the secular alternatives...

You could try using SR a little more - why not check out our Class of January support thread?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-3-a-3.html

All you need to do to join is post in it. Check there daily or more than daily maybe?

I'm always at people to think about a recovery plan too - some great ideas here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-plans-2.html

D
Old 01-20-2016, 01:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Hey Gary. I'm with you on the 1 drink = game over thing. Different things work for different people but my advice for you right now is to focus all your energy on why you want to give this **** up. Just do that for 1 hour, then 2 hours until you've done 1 day. Do the same tomorrow. Don't think about months or years or what it'll be like to not drink... Just focus on today and not drinking. It'll only take a few days before you start to see some little benefits and it'll help your resolve. Best of luck mate... Keep us up to date with your progress.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi and Welcome Back.

You say you are in a better life position this time. In saying that it shows that you are feeling more positive and that is such a GREAT place from which to start your journey. Longer you are sober, better that life position will be...

Good luck, will be following you!
Old 01-20-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I drank about the same amount , maybe a little more , for about the same length of time...

IMO, I'd mention it to your Dr. that you are starting to feel some negative health effects from Beer , and ask for his assistance in quitting. I was scared to death to ask for assistance at first , but my Dr. was quite enthusiastic about helping.

It is pretty dang difficult , if not downright dangerous to quit without some assistance..
Old 01-20-2016, 02:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi liquid, i got sober 3 months ago. Its been a roller coaster but so worth it. Like u i tried cutting down but at the age of almost 35 ive accpeted i can have just the 1, if i have 1 ill have it all until i blackout!!!
I'm a parent too, got 2 boys, 2 & 3, there have been times when ive felt so stressed being a mum that i felt desperate for a drink in the eve, but since ditching the booze i finally feel how i should feel.........fresh & happy.
When i 1st stopped drinking its all i could think about, r ur family & friends aware if ur problem??? I told my fiance the full extent of my drinking along with my mum & 1 best friend, the rest i just said "im a s**t drinker, im giving up'. Ive returned to the gym & im eating very healthy so this has also helped my low alcoholic mood.
The main thing is having support, i love this site & would have slilped by now if it wasnt for the great people on here. Good luck!x
Old 01-20-2016, 02:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Be careful when going thru withdrawal from alcohol cause it can be dangerous. It's a good idea to get medical help if you can.