Notices

3 Simple steps to a sober Today....

Old 01-20-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 Simple steps to a sober Today....

One.... look yourself square in the eyes, honestly and fully, in the mirror. As you see yourself, deeply, say to yourself with all the sincerity in the dustiest corner of your heart; "Today, I choose sobriety".

Two.... Sit down and make a list of the things you will do today. Ensure the entire day is filled up - from breakfast to bedtime - with the things that you commit to do. Review that list three times. If anything on that list represents the remotest risk of drinking - cross it off. Replace it with something 'safe'.

Three... Commit yourself fully - just for Today - to honoring your choice in step one, and completing the list in step two. Then at the end of the day when the list is complete, go to bed and say out loud "I am Grateful for this day of sobriety".

Old 01-20-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice. I would add - don't beat yourself up if the ToDo list doesn't get completed. I treated myself like I was in recovery from a serious illness - because I was.

Some days the most I got done was a shower, an AA meeting, some time here on SR, food, and a movie.

Self-care is as important as a ToDo list, IMO. I did enough beating myself up to last a lifetime when I was drinking.

Someone mentioned that she writes a "done" list at the end of the day instead of a ToDo list. That way she gets to see all she got accomplished and doesn't have the negative thoughts of, "Oh, no. I didn't get stuff done."
Old 01-20-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yep, that's a good point.

The idea of the to-do list isn't that you HAVE TO FINISH it all....

The idea is to consciously fill your day with sober focus.... to not leave gaps in your day that get filled FOR you by your AV.

The idea is that when we commit to a sober today, when we consciously envision a sober today, when we PLAN a full, sober today.... most of the time, we are sober. Today.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

and it also doesn't mean we have to be constantly "Doing", either.

Don't forget to "plan for nothing".

1-2pm - relaxing quietly on the sofa. Maybe reading a magazine. maybe taking a short nap or watching TV.

6-7pm - a slow walk around the park, just noticing things.

It's not that we have to be accomplishing lots of tasks or 'getting things done' - rather it's being INTENTIONAL about sobriety.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My thing was

1. Don't pick up a drink today - go to bed sober tonight
2. Get to a meeting
3. Log on to Sober Recovery and post in my class thread
4. Make the bed
5. Put three things on my Gratitude list

I only had five fingers, so that was enough. Keep it Simple!
Old 01-20-2016, 07:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I like that list, too!

Old 01-20-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I like the idea of a "done" list. I've got so much to do and no reasonable way to get it done in a day that "done" is far less daunting.

Self care is also important. I filled my early days with so much busy-ness that I felt flustered all the time. I'm still trying to break that now, and let go.

And I don't drink, no matter what
Old 01-20-2016, 11:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is beautiful, thank you!
Old 01-20-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm on day 3 and I'm feeling great, but today I got off work early ��. I'm not going to drink or anything, but it does make me realize how much extra free time I have now, and the importance of finding hobbies to fill that time. So making a to do list is what I'm on to now!
Old 01-20-2016, 11:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This is a great thread. Thanks all. I am keeping really simple right now. I have in the past tried to do everything and get exhausted by 5pm and then drink! So since my cravings are only at night that is when I go to meetings. I am committed to going to at least one or two meetings a night for 30 days.

I am so grateful to have found SR to read and post and get encouragement it keeps out of my head. Thanks all.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Another great post, FreeOwl.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great post. Relating to number 2 - when I was fresh I heard someone say that when making a decision ask yourself "Will this bring me closer to recovery or take me further away from it?". That helped make some decisions much easier.