Notices

Baby steps!

Old 09-13-2004, 02:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Baby steps!

They don't say "one day at a time" for nothing.
I am offically on Day 2. I am feeling good and positive. The only problem I had last night was "night sweats." So far no cravings, but I know it is only a matter of time.

I am keeping myself focused and busy. I plan on attending an AA meeting tonight at 8pm (usually when I am on my 2nd bloody mary for the evening. Tonight it will just be straight black coffee!)

Thanks to all of you for your words of encouragement and showing me that this is NOT impossible! You ALL are truly an inspiration to me.

Thanks,
Hockeychica
Old 09-13-2004, 02:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations Hockeychica!!!

I remember day 2 like it was yesterday.....while really it was 3 weeks ago =). I know exactly how you feel, and these first few days are tough, but you CAN do it!!!

How was your meeting last night?
Old 09-13-2004, 02:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

THAT'S THE ATTITUDE!!!
DO WHATEVER IT TAKES,YOU WOULN'T REGRET IT.
MTG TONITE FOR ME ALSO.
HANG IN THERE..........ted :rambo:
Old 09-13-2004, 03:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

meeting last night was ok. I sat there and didn't say anything. I felt a little overwhelmed at first and I think the group leader realized that. Last night was my 1st meeting. Do they normally expect you to participate, or do they let you do it when you are ready?
I listened to many stories and learned that I am not alone in this disease as I once thought.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

YOU CAN SHARE WHENEVER YOU FEEL READY TO.
I DON'T SHARE A WHOLE LOT,I NEED TO LISTEN.
IF SOMETHINGS BOTHERING ME I NEED TO LET SOMEONE KNOW.
IT WILL GET EASIER WITH TIME!
..........ted
Old 09-14-2004, 11:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

keep it up!

Hey Hockeychica,
You are doing great! Baby steps is the way to go- We all have to start somewhere. What did you think of what was said at the meeting? But you seized on the most important part of this WE ARE NOT ALONE. Everybody in AA and on this board will be here to support you, so keep rockin on!
Lindsey
Old 09-15-2004, 01:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hockeychica,
I am proud of you. You are doing all the right things. Just keep doing the things that others suggest to you and a contented sobriety will be yours
Old 09-15-2004, 12:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You guys are great. I am now on Day four. I have not been to a meeting since the other night. I am really starting to feel good. I had a really bad day at work today where one of my patients was sent to the ICU. It was kind of a wake up call for me. He was a 63 y/o male with a history of drinking x 35yrs. He's a post-liver transplant recip. and he had what appears to be a stroke this am. I was with him when it happened and it scared the living S**t out of me. I have such a sence of compasion for this man because he too, like me, struggles with alcoholism.

I came home and thought about a how good a bloddy mary would taste. But I drove straight home filled my stomach with a big lunch, so now all I want to do is take a nap and sleep off the craving. I may try to catch a meeting tonight; however, I have a class tomorrow am and tons of homework to do.

Thanks to all of you for your support.

P.S. The stories that I heard about at the 1st AA meeting I attended people were discussing some of their drinking routines and some of the things they did that harmed other people when they drank. (one guy was court ordered to be there because he had a DUI, another was there because his wife and kids made him sign a written contract and a lady was there because she just couldn't take it anymore.)
I will force myself to go if the cravings get to bad. But for now feeling good is out waying the still throbbing hangover from 4 days ago. (It's still so fresh in my memory!)
Thanks,
Hockeychica