Notices

my alcohol addiction

Old 12-31-2015, 06:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

my alcohol addiction

I apologize if I have posted possibly in the wrong part of your website. I am trying to find people who have been through severe phisical withdrawal symptoms from alcohol withdrawal like myself.
I understand everyones story is unique and different in circumstances.
I would just like to know there are more people that went through a similar experience of my own.
I was a heavy wine drinker, beer at first but spirits or wine upwards of 50+ standard drinks in a day (12 hour period, not 24...I drank as soon as I woke)) for 8 years. Daily seizures, delerium (mostly auditory) Ect severe especially the last 3 years.
I hope this isn't seen as a bad post or with any wrong intention. I feel a bit alone in my story, like I said i do understand everyone's journey and experiences are varied.
Thankyou.
I am 25 years old and 14/15 months sober and I live in Australia

Last edited by samuel1990; 12-31-2015 at 06:47 AM. Reason: I had some timing wrong in original post
Old 12-31-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR Samuel, I moved your post here to newcomers as you'll get a lot more responses here. We have all been there in one shape or form with our drinking, so you will fin a lot of understanding and support here.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Samuel!
Old 12-31-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Samuel
Old 12-31-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Hi, Samuel. Yes, I suffered seizures and hallucinations, among the less dramatic stuff like anxiety and shakes. I quit a few times and relapsed because the withdrawals were bad and I also had no plan for how to handle the void alcohol left.

Are you getting medical care for your symptoms? If not, I think you should. Don't be hesitant about reaching out to the medical community. They are nonjudgmental and very matter-of-fact. They don't see this as a moral failure, but just as one more health problem afflicting millions of people.

See if a doctor can help you get some relief.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Samuel!

I hope that you talk to your dr about your symptoms. Congratulations on your recovery.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm glad to meet you, Samuel. Congrats on your sobriety.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Samuel, yes. I was a drinker in the same general neighborhood of your level of consumption, and I had almost daily severe withdrawal symptoms because my level of dependency was beyond what I could actually consume. I had a seizure in my car in the parking lot of the liquor store once. After my seizure ended, I pulled myself together and weakly walked in to the store to get my medicine. Never again.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Samuel!!
Old 12-31-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by samuel1990 View Post
I am 25 years old and 14/15 months sober and I live in Australia
Welcome Samuel! Did you mean you are 14/15 months sober NOW or are you currently going through withdrawal?
Old 01-16-2016, 10:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thankyou very much to everyone who posted, I apologize I have been using this website on a mobile phone and the version I have . I couldn't see these new posts. Because I accidentally posted in two areas. I am close to 16 months sober now. It is tough and having to learn to live again with the anxiety that was "always there" isn't easy...however it is nowhere near as hard to make it through the days. Am feeling much healthier and I guess my anxiety is not debilitating, but still very present. I am about to start study basically full time in community services so I am a little apprehensive about that but I have a bit more faith in myself now
...sometimes its reassuring that others have gone through similar detoxes (I'm aware that sounds mean, however not intended) just 'not being alone' is kinda nice! As was mentioned by one member, they were needing more than they could drink, is exactly what was happening to me.
I hope anyone who reads this knows that they can get through the hardest part! There is hope..., thankyou again everyone.!
Old 01-16-2016, 10:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Samuel! Congratulations on your sober time. We all know what an accomplishment that is. I'm right around where you are at 19 months.

As I lay there in bed on the day after my last drink, I had, what I can honestly say, was the worst hangover in the history of the world. I believe it was alcohol withdrawal. I'd been going fast and hard for about 8 years, about 100 units a week spread out over seven evenings. I never took a morning drink but I was massively hungover every, single, day.

My blood pressure was very high (180/something). I never had my alcohol withdrawal symptoms treated by a doctor. I just waited it out. Basically I felt incredibly anxious and I could feel my heartbeat throughout my body. It never got to the point where I felt like I needed a medical intervention. It was not that much different than how I felt every day from waking until my first drink:
Sweaty
Clammy
Anxious
Agitated
Irritable
Weak yet "amped up."
Depressed
Scared
Angry

But at that point that was totally normal for me.

PAWS lasted between six months and a year. Not sure how long because I had forgotten what it felt like to feel normal and healthy.

I've been sober for almost 19 months and I feel great now. I can't believe I poisoned myself with alcohol for so long. I spent 2008-2014 hungover every freakin' day. I believe the daily withdrawals as described above began around 2011. Three years, daily withdrawals.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you turned things around Samuel - congrats on 16 months sober

D
Old 01-17-2016, 05:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations Samuel