Notices

Conference approved literature

Old 12-29-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Conference approved literature

I'm just wondering how many people use or read material that is not conference approved.

The main literature I use for my recovery is the Big Book, Twelve and Twelve, and the Twenty four hour book.

I didn't realize until a while back that the Twenty four hour book is not conference approved. I've been using the Twenty four hour book for many years every morning as part of my daily prayer and meditation.

But now somehow I feel a little "less pure" of a recovered alcoholic because I'm relying on something that's not conference approved.

I'm considering switching to "Daily Reflections" for my prayer and meditation in the morning because it is conference approved.

Does anyone ever struggle with this issue?

How do you feel about using AA literature that is not conference approved?

And if you're sponsoring someone is it ok to suggest literature that is not conference approved?
Old 12-29-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I read a lot of non-converence-approved stuff - and really like Daily Reflections over the 24 hr book but that has nothing to do with whether it's on the list or not. I've recommended all my sponsees read Sermon on the Mount as well as other non-AA stuff. Bill and Bob read mostly non conference approved literature so I follow their lead.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I use the big book mainly.I do have several copies of the 24 Hour A Day Book and I read it since it helped me in the beginning so much.Some of my favorite AA books are the 12x12,Big Book,and AA Comes of Age.
There is no conference disapproved material.My old home group uses the 24 Hour A Day Book.I wouldn`t worry about the "less pure" alcoholic stuff.At one time I got off on all sorts of non AA books and stuff and it made me nutty as a fruitcake.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i read all kinds of stuff, and recommend what i find useful, or what i think someone else might find useful.
i found this post and link summed it up well:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post4347945
Old 12-29-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

We do read the 24 hour a day at our meetings. I've noticed none of the other meetings I've attended out of my area do.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

I don't limit myself to conference approved literature and encourage anyone to read anything they think may help them in their recovery. Or not. It's none of my or the conference's business what any of us choose to read.

This from Fini's link:

"The term has no relation to material not published by G.S.O. It does not imply Conference disapproval of other material about A.A. A great deal of literature helpful to alcoholics is published by others, and A.A. does not try to tell any individual member what he or she may or may not read."

Here's some food for thought. There was no General Service Conference until 1951, so that first edition of the Big Book published in 1939 wasn't conference approved. Or let's go to the book. It's says right on page 87, "there are many helpful books also". I like that word "also".

-allan
Old 12-30-2015, 02:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I think the issue comes down to keeping AA, well, AA. Consider newcomers. People get an impression of AA based on what happens in meetings. Newcomers come to meetings and hear literature read aloud. When they leave the meeting that same literature is associated with AA. If they hear words from the 24 hour book in their first few meetings, no big deal. If they hear quotes from "Mein Kampf" that's a problem.

I believe the 'conference approved' label helps groups to stay on track and not get involved in "outside issues". Again, the 24 hour book is not going to be a problem IMO, but other literature might.

As far as other (non conference approved) literature is concerned, consider what Bill said of AA, "We are only operating a spiritual kindergarten in which people are enabled to get over drinking and find the grace to go on living to better effect. Each man's theology has to be his own quest, his own affair." (emphasis mine) "As Bill Sees It" p. 95.

What is read in a meeting and what you read for your own spiritual development are quite different situations. They should be treated accordingly.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

My sponsor gives me books and more books (we read them out loud together), all not printed by AA and I have no problem with it.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm not into book banning or censorship, and I don't think AA is either

"Conference Approved" is a useful term...it applies tp literature read and sold in meetings for a variety of reasons...AA, Spiritual, Legal, Financial, Copyright Issues...it's a necessary practicality.

I read lots of things other than conference-approved literature. The 24 Hour book is useful, hence it's been circulating in meetings for a long time.

To the best of my knowledge this website is not "Conference Approved", related to or endorsed by AA in any way. I don't feel less of an AA for reading and posting here

P
Old 12-30-2015, 04:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

. Be quick to see where religious people are right. Make use of what they offer.

spiritual progress.

if reading non approved literature makes me less pure and not as sober as others
yeah, ican live with that.

to think i can only read aa approved literature seems i would still have some form of addiction or alcoholic thinking.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Cool

Here's a link to AA's definition of 'Conference Approved Literature.'

http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/smf-29_en.pdf

You can go there and read the whole thing. If you don't have a pdf reader, here are some highlights.................:

"Conference-approved” — What It Means to You
The term “Conference-approved” describes written or audiovisual material approved by the Conference for publication by G.S.O. This process assures that everything in such literature is in accord with A.A. principles. Conference-approved material always deals
with the recovery program of Alcoholics Anonymous or with information about the A.A. Fellowship.

The term has no relation to material not published by G.S.O. It does not imply Conference disapproval of other material about A.A. A great deal of literature helpful to alcoholics is published by others, and A.A. does not try to tell any individual member what he or she may or may not read.

Conference approval assures us that a piece of literature represents solid A.A. experience. Any Conference-approved booklet or pamphlet goes through a lengthy and painstaking process, during which a variety of A.A.s from all over the United States and Canada read and express opinions at every stage of production.

Not All “A.A. Literature” Is Conference-Approved
Central offices and intergroups do write and distribute pamphlets or booklets that are not Conference-approved. If such pieces meet the needs of the local membership, they may be legitimately classified as “A.A. literature.” There is no conflict between A.A. World Services, Inc. (A.A.W.S. – publishers of Conference-approved literature), and
central offices or intergroups – rather they complement each other. The Conference does not disapprove of such material. G.S.O. does develop some literature that does not have to be approved by the
Conference, such as Service Material, Guidelines and bulletins."

Grapevine and Conference Approval
An often asked question is whether or not Grapevine is “Conference-approved.” General Service Conference approval is a lengthy review process that can take years for longer projects, with several stages of committee evaluation along the way.

Since Grapevine comes out 12 times a year, and the Conference meets only once a year, the magazine would never come off the press if it had to go through the Conference review process. However, the Conference has always supported the concept of Grapevine and, in 1986, a Conference Advisory Action specifically addressed the issue of Conference approval for the first time with the following
statement: “Since each issue of (the) Grapevine cannot go through the Conference approval process, the Conference recognizes (the) Grapevine as the international journal of Alcoholics Anonymous.” In addition, the Conference Charter guarantees the right of Grapevine’s editor to accept or reject material for publication; there is a
Conference Committee on Grapevine, formed in 1954; and any Grapevine or La Viña matter of importance to the Fellowship as a whole is brought to the Conference through that committee.

So, the concept of Grapevine has been endorsed by the Conference as a whole and the use of Grapevine and its publications as recovery tools has been encouraged throughout the Fellowship year after year."

Happy reading..............
(o:
Old 12-30-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by uncle holmes View Post
But now somehow I feel a little "less pure" of a recovered alcoholic because I'm relying on something that's not conference approved.
Hazelton puts out a lot of literature that's used in AA meetings. Conference approved stuff usually isn't voted on and approved to be used in an AA meeting. All other literature in general, is supposed to be voted on by group conscience. Actually I use verses out of the Bible pretty much on a daily basis which isn't conference approved, at least it wasn't the last time I checked. Meetings are autonomous and can use whatever literature is approved of by the group as long as it doesn't directly affect other groups or AA as a whole.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

The following statement appears in a piece of conference approved literature.

"Sobriety, freedom from alcohol, through the teaching and practice of the twelve steps, is the sole purpose of an AA group."

Using any literature that furthers that objective would be fine by me. It leaves plenty of scope.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I read so much information because I enjoy it. My main text book for life is the Big book and I read all Hazeldon and grapevine publications.. I go to meetings every day and try to live the program..,I'll read anything that will keep me sober another 24.. Just my 2 cents...
Old 12-30-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
skg

The Literature Obsession

I believe that it's a decision for the group's conscience. I chair almost exclusively from the Big Book because it's the foundation of my sobriety, but it's by no means the foundation for my spiritual life.

The program works if *I* work it, and only work it for me. I read "Jesus Calling," and "My Utmost for His Highest," (DAILY) and "Twenty Four Hours a Day" and many others, including the Holy Bible in various formats depending on my spiritual condition. I also have copies of the Twelve and Twelve, the Big Book, and AlAnon literature that I use when working with others. I am an alcoholic saved by His grace on a spiritual walk. I want to spend as much time on this as I did in drinking or thinking when I was in my cups.

I would like to recommend, "The Spirituality of Imperfection: Storytelling and the Search for Meaning" (Kurtz, Ketcham) because it does a superb job in tying in the program of Alcoholics Anonymous--nearly a quarter of the book devoted to it--with spirituality. Truly amazing... For a newcomer that's anything like me, I wanted the full effect of recovery--the steps, the principles, the spiritual growth, the meetings, the prayer. I still do.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Trudgin

One resource I find great value in is the book Drop The Rock dealing with 6&7. Non. Conf approved I believe

Admiration for Bill W is wide spread and justly deserved. It is quotes such as this why I delve into his body of work

“It would be a product of false pride to claim that A.A. is a cure-all, even for alcoholism.”

As Bill Sees It
Old 12-30-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
The following statement appears in a piece of conference approved literature.

"Sobriety, freedom from alcohol, through the teaching and practice of the twelve steps, is the sole purpose of an AA group."
That statement is from the pamphlet 'Problems Other Than Alcohol.'

(o:

P.S. Drop the Rock is Hazelden.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
That statement is from the pamphlet 'Problems Other Than Alcohol.'

(o:

P.S. Drop the Rock is Hazelden.
Which is conference approved. The same statement was approved by the general service conference on three seperate occasions circa 1969, 1971 and 1972. That might make it the most approved item ever. lol.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by uncle holmes View Post
I'm just wondering how many people use or read material that is not conference approved. The main literature I use for my recovery is the Big Book, Twelve and Twelve, and the Twenty four hour book. I didn't realize until a while back that the Twenty four hour book is not conference approved. I've been using the Twenty four hour book for many years every morning as part of my daily prayer and meditation. But now somehow I feel a little "less pure" of a recovered alcoholic because I'm relying on something that's not conference approved. I'm considering switching to "Daily Reflections" for my prayer and meditation in the morning because it is conference approved. Does anyone ever struggle with this issue? How do you feel about using AA literature that is not conference approved? And if you're sponsoring someone is it ok to suggest literature that is not conference approved?
The book "Living Sober" is conference approved but it proposes many ideas that are antithetical to the ideas I'm the big book. If I was reading out of that book on a regular basis, my perceived sense of purity might have to be questioned.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You know, I tried so many things when I first came to AA. When I think about it, it blows my mind. I've read most of the Hazelden books, and many of the AA books. One of my sponsors and I went to retreats held at a Catholic retreat house, so on one trip, I bought a rosary and said Hail Marys every day. The point isn't about what I read or did. The point is about taking the time to read, do and study about alcoholism and work on developing some kind of a program so that I won't ever have to drink again.....one day at a time of course. Much to my surprise, some 26 years later, I became a Catholic and have gravitated to the Big Book and the 12 & 12 as my main information sources for alcohol, and going to weekly and sometimes daily mass and saying the Holy Rosary on occasion; now knowing what I'm doing. Funny how the pendulum swings when I'm having fun staying sober.