View Single Post
Old 12-30-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
skg

The Literature Obsession

I believe that it's a decision for the group's conscience. I chair almost exclusively from the Big Book because it's the foundation of my sobriety, but it's by no means the foundation for my spiritual life.

The program works if *I* work it, and only work it for me. I read "Jesus Calling," and "My Utmost for His Highest," (DAILY) and "Twenty Four Hours a Day" and many others, including the Holy Bible in various formats depending on my spiritual condition. I also have copies of the Twelve and Twelve, the Big Book, and AlAnon literature that I use when working with others. I am an alcoholic saved by His grace on a spiritual walk. I want to spend as much time on this as I did in drinking or thinking when I was in my cups.

I would like to recommend, "The Spirituality of Imperfection: Storytelling and the Search for Meaning" (Kurtz, Ketcham) because it does a superb job in tying in the program of Alcoholics Anonymous--nearly a quarter of the book devoted to it--with spirituality. Truly amazing... For a newcomer that's anything like me, I wanted the full effect of recovery--the steps, the principles, the spiritual growth, the meetings, the prayer. I still do.