Alcoholism and OCD?

Old 12-19-2015, 05:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism and OCD?

Had a weird experience when going to collect my things from my former home.

The bathroom was organised very strangely. Everything in there had been put on to the window sill and set out in groups of 2 or 4 e.g. 2 mouthwashes, 4 shower gels etc. The strangest thing was there were even 2 hand soap dispensers next to each other and both were full. I know it sounds crazy to comment on but when it is your former home you notice these things. It looked very strange and completely different to when we lived together.

There were no OCD behaviours that I had ever seen before. If anything out of the 2 of us I was the more set in my ways as to how I liked things laid out around the house and he couldn't have cared less about the small details (not in a lazy way he always contributed to chores). It was only the bathroom that looked like this.

Is anyone else aware of a connection between alcoholism and OCD? Or even if not OCD some kind of ritualised behaviour? It was almost a bit like hoarding too with multiple numbers of the same items group together when only 1 person lives there. Is it possible for behaviours like this to come on so quickly?
Old 12-19-2015, 05:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Ally......my first thought is that a woman may have done it. Women, in particular, are more into bathrooms than most men, I think.......

After my son quit drinking....he did become more attentive to details....and, much more organized.....but, I wouldn't say OCD.......

dandylion
Old 12-19-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

My own thought immediately was that he did it to make you think he had someone over on a regular basis. Maybe he's seeing someone, maybe he's not. Either way, it's really not your concern.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

^^ I thought the same Dandy ^^
Old 12-19-2015, 06:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mmmmyeahhhh... he's either got a regular visitor or is staging it to look that way. On the windowsill and everything - how dramatic of him (rolls eyes).
Old 12-21-2015, 02:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not sure about OCD - just sounds like he's been going to the supermarket at forgetting what he needs so getting stuff 'just in case' then just adding to the ones he bought last time he did the same.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

maybe since you were coming over to get stuff, he moved the toiletries out of the way? maybe the sink had backed up....maybe he found a great 2 for 1 deal at the store?
Old 12-21-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
My own thought immediately was that he did it to make you think he had someone over on a regular basis. Maybe he's seeing someone, maybe he's not. Either way, it's really not your concern.
This was my first thought, too. And, it's good to point out that it's not the OP's concern, as well.

As for OCD and alcoholism, I can only say that my XAH had anxiety issues and depression which all fall along the same co-morbid conditions as OCD, which is anxiety related. I wouldn't say it's not possible but for it to happen all of a sudden, that is what seems surprising.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My husband is diagnosed OCD. It's not really something that comes and goes. It is either is, or is not. I suppose if one were drunk enough it might subdue some of the behavior. Certainly not all, and you would have known - believe me you would have.

So I agree with the others - someone else did it or he did it with the intent of making you think someone else did.

Move on from it. Former is former.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If he did it intentionally, it worked: people speculating about him on the internet!
Old 12-22-2015, 06:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My X has OCD (not about cleaning though, believe me). When his anxiety is high, he focuses on something and cannot stop. A lot of projects that have to be done, and done just right, that second, no matter what else is going on around him. And he would not talk about anything else except that project.

It was really fun.....ugh....
Old 12-22-2015, 06:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for all of your replies.

Ultimately I know it isn't any of my business but I suppose it is more of the same shock of finding strange habits/behaviours of someone you thought you knew.

This in conjunction with all of the curtains being wrapped up around the poles in each room was very weird to me. Whatever the reasons, the insanity of alcoholism is enough of an explanation without more needed.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Most of the addicts I know, which is quite a few, have really bad underlying anxiety disorders. They realize their lives are out of control so they focus on things they can control. Growing up my house was always a mess. Then my dad would get into these emotional phases of massive cleaning and I had to help. It was pretty obsessive. When your environment is in order it's easy to convince yourself your life is in order.