Notices

Analyzed a Trigger

Old 12-07-2015, 10:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Analyzed a Trigger

I didn't end up drinking last night, and I'm not drinking tonight. Last night was a rough one with the sweats, tossing and turning. Only 2 hrs of sleep but I still felt better today at work than I would've if I drunk slept for 8hrs.*

On the way home something did get me upset, which then made me realize a trigger... frustration. It was amazing how quickly I went from looking forward to a sober night, to seriously debating on picking up a bottle. My mind quickly created rationalizations to have a drink, but I didn't give in. I focused and analyzed the fast changes my mind went through, which motivated me to overcome and ignore it the best I could.*

Some of you mentioned creating "why not to drink" lists, which I did, and thought about a lot today. Thank you**

I've been reading a lot on the site, I'm so happy I subscribed.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done Jay , it proves that the more effort you put in works, don't allow yourself or your ''head '' to go off on one , get a meeting asap , face to face really helps .

Stevie
Old 12-07-2015, 11:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job Jay!
Old 12-08-2015, 12:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah man...awesome.

What I like the most is your awareness. Have you read into Rational Recovery yet? I'm betting you'll find that very useful.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by JAY2010 View Post
My mind quickly created rationalizations to have a drink, but I didn't give in.
It will continue to do this for a while. The only way to make it stop doing this is to continue to not give in.

Well done, Sir!
Old 12-08-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job Jay
Old 12-08-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
It will continue to do this for a while. The only way to make it stop doing this is to continue to not give in. Well done, Sir!
Very true. I'll 2nd that.

As an experienced quitter of several addictions, I find that each trigger is not nearly as strong next time around. Some are very strong triggers to start with and may take a couple repeats before a reduction is noticeable.

I find it fits right in with Rational Recovery. It's like I'm dealing with a beast, or better yet, a child. The first time I say "no" it doesn't sink in. It puts up a fight. Sometimes a full blown temper tantrum.

If you give in to a temper tantrum, then it's only going to throw more of them to get its way.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Jay, that's really good insight -- well done! Frustration or anger is a trigger for many of us, I think. Also hungry, lonely, and tired (I'm sure you've read about those too). For me it's a short fuse when these come up.

You're right about the triggers diminishing in strength ... each time I go through a situation sober (when in the past I would have a drink), it gets a little easier. I had to choose my situations carefully in the beginning to make sure I didn't get overwhelmed ... but with time and practice, it gets easier.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great stuff Jay!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 12-08-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

this sounds really good, insightful. Something I want to learn from. Well done you. Onwards.
x
Old 12-08-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tursiops999 View Post
I had to choose my situations carefully in the beginning to make sure I didn't get overwhelmed ... but with time and practice, it gets easier.
^^ Like