Notices

Joining a Monthly Class

Old 12-04-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Joining a Monthly Class

Hey everyone I have been coming on here for almost a year now and I never joined a class. I would really like to join one but I don't know where I would start. I am almost 11 months sober now, do I join an older group or just start with the December group?

Thanks

Old 12-04-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It doesn't matter! You'd be welcome in any of them. I think if it were me, I'd join the one that began the month I got sober - but you can also join the "One year or under" thread (they call themselves "undies") - or any other month that you feel a kindred with. Link:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-50-a.html

There's also a "One year and over" thread. Link:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-32-a.html

My "class" (March 2014) petered out early, so I joined the March 2013 class. I ended up not sticking with that either (commitment issues, much, or free-spirit?) In the end, I think you'll find a spot. I settled on the Weekenders, even though weekends were no harder than any other day. I just liked the vibe in there.

Link:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...r-dec-4-a.html
Old 12-04-2015, 09:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with Bimini!

I post in March 2013 (we are finally slowing down but have always welcomed others), the Undies and the Overs. Each gives me a different perspective :-)
Old 12-04-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah I would say look around for ongoing threads and try whichever seems interesting. Myself, I did join a monthly class when I first got sober, but did not last in it too long, I found myself more drawn to specific topics or people. So I tend to prefer topic-focused discussions/threads more and participated in some in the past here that I thoroughly enjoyed. You can also create yours if you feel up to it -- some people report their progress, struggles, experiences that way.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Thanks for the input, so you people who post in places other than a class, do you do it on the newcomer thread or in other areas on this site?

I am looking for people who are around the same length of sobriety who have been through a lot of the same stuff. I am not sure if I am missing out on areas on here I do not know about as most of my postings have been on newcomers.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't really care much where the thread that I post in is located if I find something interesting in it. Except maybe the Man's Room, but just because I'm not supposed to be there Of course naturally I find more topics of interest in the Alcoholism forum or in Newcomers given that my problem was drinking. I usually just use the "New Posts" button to scroll through recent discussions (it lists all recent threads, including the name of the thread's location), or look for specific treads that I know from the past.

Maybe another possibility, if you are interested in specific recovery tools and methods, there are sub-forums and threads designated to those.

I also sometimes read in Friends&Family mostly because I am interested in experiences and discussions on relationships, but rarely post as I don't really have any current related experience.

Another strategy that worked great for me in the past was finding like-minded individuals initially based on their public posts and developing more in-depth discussions with them. Some of the similarities I had discovered that way were uncanny. I did plenty of that in my first sober year, or maybe 1.5.

I think we are completely free to use SR in any way we want
Old 12-04-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome post Bim
Old 12-04-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dive right in Sva!! . . . you'll find loads of wonderful people!!