Notices

Curious about drinking acceptance in various countries.

Old 11-14-2015, 01:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Curious about drinking acceptance in various countries.

Hi all, this is something I started think about this week and is purely out of curiosity.

I have many friends on Facebook that I have never met in person- I met them on music forums online- but I have "known" them for many years.
I noticed certain cultures are more open and ok with being regularly drunk.
I cannot imagine living like that anymore. I also know that there are plenty of people within those cultures that do not get drunk and drink responsibly or have chosen to not be a drunk and have wisely gotten sober.
I do not want to stereotype or normalize drinking culture, I am just curious about a general picture.
What is the drinking culture like where you are from?

For example in Italy drinking is widespread and common at every meal. Aperitivo is practically a national pastime. However, being drunk is very much looked down upon. I have seen people tipsy and excited, but outright drunks are few and far between in public.
Old 11-14-2015, 02:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Here's a link Mera

BBC NEWS | UK | Attitudes to alcohol in Europe
Old 11-14-2015, 03:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks SW! What do you do for a living? You should consider something in research you are amazing!
Old 11-14-2015, 03:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you

Im not in work currently also that link is from 2007 so it has proberly changed il try finding a more updated version

#Research
Old 11-14-2015, 03:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Social and Cultural Aspects of Drinking - Introduction

Can You Guess Where In The World People Are Binge Drinking The Most? - Mic
Old 11-14-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, SW (and Mera for asking the question)! That is an illuminating article.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

For me, what's most important is my acceptance of my alcoholism. Each culture certainly views drinking differently, but at the end of the day it's only the individual who can make the decision to quit drinking. We also cannot change the attitudes of those around us.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

In the states, as with smoking I see a generational difference. The old guard of a 2 martini lunch(or more) is passe as is chain smoking for many young adults. Anecdotal, the show Mad Men has struck a chord with many younger adults - my late 20 yo daughter comments - wow, everyone drank a lot back in 60's !!

Well, yes and no........

There is also some regional difference in drinking patterns in the states. Growing up in Midwest, for example - the pubs were full during the winter/ice age months. In the deep south where I reside now, I see more younger binge drinking. The old folks stay home mostly with their bottle -but the religiosity of the area lends to less drinking overall.

That said we are the most over indulgent, self absorbed, addicted people in history of mankind.

Today I focus on the solution - and oreo's. Progress, not perfection.......
Old 11-14-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
Hi all, this is something I started think about this week and is purely out of curiosity.

I have many friends on Facebook that I have never met in person- I met them on music forums online- but I have "known" them for many years.
I noticed certain cultures are more open and ok with being regularly drunk.
I cannot imagine living like that anymore. I also know that there are plenty of people within those cultures that do not get drunk and drink responsibly or have chosen to not be a drunk and have wisely gotten sober.
I do not want to stereotype or normalize drinking culture, I am just curious about a general picture.
What is the drinking culture like where you are from?

For example in Italy drinking is widespread and common at every meal. Aperitivo is practically a national pastime. However, being drunk is very much looked down upon. I have seen people tipsy and excited, but outright drunks are few and far between in public.
My parents have been to Europe a couple times and said basically the same thing. Alcohol is served very freely at all times of the day and I think to a wide range of ages of people. That being said, my father told me that public drunkenness is frowned upon big-time. I found that interesting. I believe I've mentioned this before, but being a contractor in a blue collar trade, heavy drinking is very common. I know far too many people that have serious drinking problems, yet it doesn't even cross their minds that they do actually have a problem. Their life consists of hard labor and booze. They don't even question it. I was kind of the oddball that was always questioning if my alcohol consumption was normal.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I live in the states and frankly I don't think hard core drinking effects that many people, percentage wise. Unless one is below 23 and in a bar that encourages drunken behavior, being loaded is frowned upon. I am 50 and know no one that abuses alcohol...of course I don't know that many people I drank and partied with others when I was young but really since I've been an alcoholic I've been mostly a solo drinker. I just don't see that much alcohol abuse. I have this weird part of me that likes to try to see alcohol abuse when I'm out or with others....mostly it just isn't there.

And I wanted to add: I traveled quite a bit to Austria, Scotland and Sweden for work years ago. I found that drinking among coworkers to be very controlled, almost non existent. And I was also amazed that in the UK a woman ordering a pint was frowned upon...I had to order a glass of beer. Thought that was crazy but I went along with it. Anything more than 2 and the looks could kill.