Notices

cancelling "risky" plans

Old 11-04-2015, 03:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

cancelling "risky" plans

So i live out of the country I was born/grew up in and I am back visiting family and friends for a couple of weeks. This is the first time I've been back since I became sober. My closet friend asked me to go out to a late night concert with her at a night club. I immediately said yes and then took some time to think if I wanted to put myself in that situation. The answer is no BUT I wanted to spend time with my friend and not feel like an oddball. We were partners in our younger years.

Anyway, so I went back and fourth in my head thinking "I can handle it" and "you already said you would" Yada yada.....This morning I woke up with conviction. My sobriety is THAT important to me that I'm not risking it. I messaged my friend and told her I'd pass on the show but would love to get lunch and maybe go hiking while I'm visiting so we can see the beautiful fall colors and catch up.

I'm proud of myself and just wanted to share for anyone who feels "obligated" to a risky situation. I had options... and I used them.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you made a wise choice kamm

D
Old 11-04-2015, 03:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome... Great healthy alternative!
Old 11-04-2015, 03:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Good decision. I'd add that you aren't going to have to pass on these kinds of events for the rest of your life. Nightclubs/bars aren't my favorite place to hang out, but if I were going with an old friend (who I could count on not to bet plastered) and to listen to good music, it would not be a problem for me (seven years sober). I was pretty cautious the first year or so, and the first few times I ventured out it felt "weird" but I didn't feel at risk of drinking by then (though I did pay attention to how I was feeling throughout the night).

Hope you have a nice visit with your friend!
Old 11-04-2015, 03:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Very wise choice
Old 11-04-2015, 04:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just echoing the others - great job!

You'll get there eventually as Lexi said, and you'll know when the time is right. Right now though you took an unbelievably brave first step. You put your sobriety first which is what it takes to succeed in this battle. So proud of you!
Old 11-04-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is what commitment to a lasting recovery looks like. Very well done!
Old 11-04-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done! I've passed on many plans just to make sure I wasn't in a risky situation. When I'm on the road and being around tons of booze for work (like now) is required, I always have a plan but it's much better when you can just remove yourself from the situation whenever possible if it's going to challenge your sobriety. Enjoy the hike! I've done some of that myself this week and it's been beautiful.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Kamm - excellent decision - a great example of setting priorities for your successful sobriety.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Fantastic Kamm!!
Old 11-06-2015, 04:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This really did feel like an important step in my recovery. I look forward to the day I can go out without feeling the cravings.... but it doesn't feel like that is any time soon.

My friend cancelled lunch and again suggested a risky situation for us to meet. She knows I stopped drinking but doesn't know the extent I was as before I quit. I don't particularly want to talk about it with her yet either. I made an excuse as to why I couldn't go to these plans and I guess I will wait and see.

It's painful realizing that I may lose some friends through this process. 😔
Old 11-06-2015, 05:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kamm View Post

I messaged my friend and told her I'd pass on the show but would love to get lunch and maybe go hiking while I'm visiting so we can see the beautiful fall colors and catch up.
Smart thinking and you are on a healthy road there.
I do sober lunches and hikes often.
MM