Notices

Did You Go to Rehab?

Old 11-03-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did You Go to Rehab?

I'm an alcoholic, without a doubt. I've tried (unsuccessfully) to quit drinking several times. I wonder if rehab would be helpful to me...I have good insurance and the financial means to go to a good facility, but I'm concerned about the time away from my family and work. Thank you so much for any help you can provide.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I did not. But, I've seen a tremendous number of favorable comments from others.
It is a very hard decision. Have you spoken with your Dr. about going and other options available?
Old 11-03-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I did an outpatient rehab program where I spent roughly 8-4 m-f there. It allowed me to stay somewhat engaged in work. But some would argue not being 100% engaged in a program without any distractions is not the best.
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep. I had health insurance, but it wasn't super cheap. I went to a standard facility run by a university in a major city. Shared a room with a couple of guys, lived at the rehab wing of the hospital, went to daily group meetings, had breakfast at 7am and lights out at 10pm. Not much fun.

Also probably saved my life. Can't imagine a better foundation on which to build your sobriety. If you can find a way - any way - to make it happen, I suggest you try. There are a million reasons you'll find to avoid it (work, family, etc). They are legitimate, nobody is doubting that. But keep in mind that there's a huge part of you that still wants to keep drinking. You have no idea how to begin to live without it. Getting help from those with experience in sobriety is the only way to learn. Good luck.
  # 5 (permalink)  

In my opinion it is the fastest and most expedient method to get and stay sober, if you have the opportunity to do it. LearnIng all the tools, the steps of recovery, etc. It was suggested to me once, and I had the time and money, but my ego wouldn't accept being told what to do.. so instead I struggled for 10 more years.. haha. In retrospect I should have taken the rehab program.
  # 6 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

I went to rehab about 10 years ago, a very well known one in the Midwest of the us. I'm here now on 51 days sober. Rehab is good for the detox and a pretty good start at sobriety. You're pretty much guaranteed 28 days sober. What you do after that is still up to you. At the time I wasn't really ready to admit that I had a problem that ment never drinking again. So I think it's really up to the individual on whether rehab is worth the time and money. You'll start out with a pretty good set of tools but it's still up to you to work the plan.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Well, there you have it. A definitive answer, lol. Interesting how we posted at the same time
Old 11-03-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I went to a 20 day outpatient for a few hours per day. If you have the means to go, I'd definitely recommend it. Do whatever you can to get sober. Taking the time out of my day and my life to do an intensive outpatient treatment worked really well for me. I can't imagine it not being a positive and helpful situation for you, especially since you want to go.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I went to a detox facility for six days and was willing to go to inpatient rehab, but they didn't think I needed that. They suggested a six week outpatient program, which I completed.

My advice would be to go to inpatient rehab if you have the means to do so.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Okay I'll tell this story. I did outpatient, 30 days. But at that time part of my obsession was with dates, and I didn't like my quit date, the first day of the program. So I had a couple of drinks that night so I could start the next day because I liked that date a lot better. It was a numbers obsession and I seriously didn't give it a second thought.

So along about day 25, one of the counselors asked me about something and I casually mentioned my real quit date. Oops! Haha.. big problem. Called me into the director's office, said I had a problem being honest, being serious about my program of recovery, etc. Mind you I'm almost 4 weeks sober at that point, lol.

They then told me I needed inpatient, at a cost of $5k. I told them where to put that and walked out, lol. I still think rehab is the best way though, but I wouldn't have done it there.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If your looking for a "cure" I wouldn't expect that. If you want to go to a twelve step facility, remember AA meetings are free. If your looking for a sober escape for a bit and time away to heal, maybe a good option. All depends how much you put into it and what you expect to get out of it. I personally didn't find it that helpful other than the escape aspect. Maybe I went to the wrong rehab.
Do your research and read the reviews (not the ones on the facilities website). Just because they are expensive doesn't mean you'll get the best care. If your worried about work you could possibly go to outpatient treatment. Ultimately, the only way your going to get and stay sober is if you really want to. There's no magical solution. It just takes determination to stick with it.
Good Luck!
Old 11-03-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

No, I didn't. Went to a detox setting for a couple of days to get through the physical detox. AA and this website helped me to recover after that.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I went to a 30 Day Rehab, a woman's facility, that has been doing this since 1969. I was 55 and was so willing! Because of my age, and length of drinking, I felt it vital to do a medical detox first. My Doctor agreed.
My rehab is also host to C.A. & A.A. Meetings weekly. I went to them all, as we all did. I personally don't see addiction as anything as what IS. MY drug of choice was alcohol. I still attend weekly meetings in both 12 Step Programs. My social life is significantly with the friends I've made in my recovery journey.
My "vote". Yes. BTW, each person in the house was NOT there on insurance ( I was). There are many avenues in which to go to Rehab, so those reading this, who want Rehab, don't give up!
Bobbi
Old 11-03-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I am always kind of jealous of the friends (many) I know that spent time in rehab. Seems to give them a pretty good foundation on which to build for those who make use of it.

Glad you're here with us!
Old 11-03-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have done outpatient, eleven years ago and inpatient, three years ago. The first time I wasn't quite ready. The second time, I was more ready. I went to detox for three days and then 16 says of inpatient.

It was a fantastic way to jump start quitting. Being able to put myself in the care of someone else was great.

At the time I went my two children were 4 and 7. My parents cared for them while I was away. It was hard but it was the best thing I've done for myself. While I did relapse for three months after ten and a half months of sobriety it gave me the tools to stop on my own. It is an ongoing process. Rehab isn't a cure. But it sure helps. After my relapse I quit again and have stayed sober since December 1, 2013. Almost two years ago.

If you have the time and the insurance, I say go for it. It's far better to be away from your family for up to a month and return with sober time under your belt than to struggle with the endless painful cycle of stopping starting stopping starting.

Be well! Do it for yourself and your family benefits
Old 11-04-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wow, THANK YOU all so much for this extremely helpful advice!!! I think I've beaten myself down with drinking for so long, I'm really looking to take some time in the care of someone else to rest and start the process of REAL recovery (as opposed to the BS I've been calling recovery). I'm going to look into my options right away.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

I have 2 sisters and they both completed 6 months rehab at diffrent times and they have thier lives back one of my sisters turns 1 year tomorrow & my other sister is 3.5 years sober
Old 11-04-2015, 04:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Third time is a charm.
First two times I went - I was ordered to go - I wasn't ready to quit.
Third time I was ready. I actually quit before I went - again it was ordered.
Alcohol caused a life changing event for me. I was quitting rehab or no.

If you are ready to be done, go to the rehab. You will learn a lot and it will force you to reflect on past behaviors. It will also provide a 'safe' environment and give you a head start on abstinence. All you have to do is maintain that after you leave.
And if that's what you want, that's what you'll get.

A month "vacation" from real life is well worth the investment if the alternative is being continually caged by addiction struggles for who knows how long.
If I count up how many days I missed by nursing a hangover or just sitting around being drunk and doing nothing else, 30 days does not compare to it.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I went to a 30 day inpatient facility. I was 48 and it was self directed. I had grown up with an alcoholic mother who got sober in my teens so I was familiar with the progressive nature of alcoholism.

The concreteness of having to upend my life and go away made a big difference for me in getting sober. I couldn't deceive myself anymore that I was simply a woman who drank a little too much. And because my absence forced my family to carry a lot of my slack while I was gone I felt acutely aware that 30 days away was a gift.

I have been sober since the day I entered rehab 2 1/2 years ago. I know it was a gift to be able to jump start my sobriety that way, and my gratitude for the experience will always weigh heavily in my recovery.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Luvmygirls

Yes I went to rehab. I think it was about 7 years ago. Few recommendations based on my experience. 1. Research-there are a lot of garbage places out there. Make sure you read reviews, find out the experience of the staff, the philosophy of their program, AND do they have followup support once you're out...that is huge 2. Go in sober and ready (if you can) pack whatever they will allow you to bring that will make you more comfortable for the long haul 3. Commit to it, the full time, no matter what 4. Be ready to leave all concerns of the outside world outside so you can focus on you 5. Be ready to give up alcohol for the rest of your life 6. Don't expect to be fixed. No one, nothing, can fix you but you. You just need a program, tools and support. But the true commitment is something no one can give you.
Rehab is expensive. Frankly the best place I have ever been was a free detox center for 7 days. Far better than the 28 day pricey rehab. Good luck.