Notices

Did You Go to Rehab?

Old 11-04-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks again, everyone. LBrain, that's a good point about all the time I've wasted drunk and hung over. Now that I'm starting to research facilities, it is so overwhelming. Many of the top-rated places are in CA, and I'm on the East Coast (US). I was thinking I could spend 2 weeks, but now I see that the recommendation is much longer. I hear what everyone is saying, though...if I am ready to quit, this may be my best and final option.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

So funny, right after I posted above I found some good websites which led me to a very highly rated facility which is within 2 hours of my home and it looks like they accept my insurance! I've been at the same employer for 14 years and I know they would be supportive of me going on FMLA, but I worry about confidentiality. One thing at a time, I guess...
Old 11-04-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

if your company has an EAP program, talk to them directly, they will handle everything and nobody at your company has a right to know why you needed to use FMLA time. except maybe the medical staff...

when I disappeared from work nobody knew why unless someone who was on duty that night said something... and even after that - not even my managers or supervisors had a clue where I was.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

No harm in trying something new, nothing changes if nothing change.

Sometimes a new direction can make all the difference!!
Old 11-04-2015, 03:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

nobody at your company has a right to know why you needed to use FMLA time

Intellectually I know this, but I'm picturing this vanishing act in my head, and it's sobering (not the good kind). I'm anticipating questions that I am not willing to answer...
Old 11-04-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I never did a full 28 days (walked out after 3 when I found out how much it was costing me). Counselor told me I'd never make it if I didn't stay for the full 28. I went straight to AA, immersed myself for 8 yrs and stayed sober (I showed him by gawd). Anyhoo, lotsa cool sayings and stats to learn but it really boils down to how bad you want it. I will say that the self-honesty is contagious although stings a bit at first with the confrontation. It takes a while to find out it is only ourselves we are unwilling to confront.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
MrBrad

I did go and I gotta say that it was good and bad. My rehab only offered 12 step. That was it. No other alternatives. So it was a pain the entire time since I knew that stepism didn't work for me. The time to get my head clear was helpful though. Meditation, exercise, guest speakers etc... That was the good part.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:45 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

bradly22, meditation and exercise sounds so amazing right now. I've resisted the 12-step concept in the past, but I am much more open to anything and everything right now.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:32 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by luvmygirls View Post
I'm an alcoholic, without a doubt. I've tried (unsuccessfully) to quit drinking several times. I wonder if rehab would be helpful to me...I have good insurance and the financial means to go to a good facility, but I'm concerned about the time away from my family and work. Thank you so much for any help you can provide.
I've never gone to inpatient rehab...but if you've tried to quit several times and cannot and have good insurance and financial means, I say go for it! Time away is tough sometimes, but so is continuing to have a drinking problem. Do you have children still at home? That could be the biggest deciding factor for you...if inpatient is not what you decide for, there in intensive outpatient treatment.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:43 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Do your best