Notices

Close Call

Old 09-08-2004, 03:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Close Call

Hello everyone,

Its been almost two months and so far so good...everything is back on track..Although I had a close call yesterday...Simply because I forget when things are going well..

All my bills are paid up, saved a bit or money and have new job with less pressure...which really makes a huge difference...

Yesterday I went to lunch and was on my way to buy some cd's...but somehow I found myself at the pub playing the pokies/slots...I swear I really had no intentions of going there..

Last night on the way home from work...I was really contemplating going to the pub and having a beer...I didnt I bought a pizza instead...But it was a very close call..it really was...it could have gone either way...

I stopped doing the right things..

Today I had a rostered and had A GREAT DAY...but I have to keep my guard up..

Nice chatting here again.....and thanks for your support..I will visit more regularly.....
Old 09-08-2004, 02:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Work those steps, do the other things your sponsor suggests, and after a while (maybe not a very long while), you won't find yourself contemplating a drink. For me, the idea of a drink improving things was lifted out some time in the first year. Step work (especially getting things down on paper)? Divine intervention? I'm guessing both. Buying into the idea that doing this stuff would ultimately make me feel better and deal with life better? Maybe that's it! I had the first two before, then decided some things were more important than my program, then that my program wasn't important at all, then that I wasn't really an alcoholic, then how about a beer (YIPPIEEEE!!!!!). How's that for a run on sentence?
So, if you're an alky like me, try not to worry about it and get busy with your step work/meetings/service work. That drink idea will get lifted right out of you and the pubs just won't be a big deal any more. Bottom line is, if I work this stuff, there are no slippery places. If I don't, just being awake is a slippery place!
Old 09-08-2004, 02:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Frank,
Old habits are hard to break so we have to keep ourselves so aware of what we are doing. We cannot afford to let ourselves go on autopilot becuse we will end up where we have no business beig if we want to avoid temptation. I am glad your close calls remained just that. Take good care of yourself my friend.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

I have to keep my guard up..
Yep.

The most important thing about this "almost" is that you didn't drink! So, you've gained some strength and wisdom.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

(((Frank)))
I'm glad you made it through your close call, not the last call. It's strange how quickly things can take a turn for the worst. You made it through though. Thank goodness for pizza. One again pizza saves the day. Never let your guard down. Arm yourself with lots of pepperoni and sausage. It's a life saver. Good for you...
Old 09-09-2004, 11:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

((((((Frank )))))))
Walking through similar situations without picking up the first drink led me to a greater understanding of the old AA saying that "God was doing for me what I could not do for myself". This happened more than a few times my first year in recovery. It provided the foundation for continuing recovery by instilling hope that turned to faith and has now become belief.

I'm grateful I get reminders such as yours frequently as well. It could have gone either way for me on many occassions. I'm grateful today it went the way it did and I do not ever have to drink again.

(((((((((Frank)))))))))
Kiss Heart of Spirit In Love & Service,
Three Legs
:tri
Old 09-09-2004, 11:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Castaway

Wow! Frank! That was a close call. Probably not a good idea to go too near the party zone. Congratulations on keeping your wits about you.
Sandy
Old 09-13-2004, 05:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I read this the other day in the big book and it blew me away. "The alcoholic at certain times has no mental defense against the first drink. Except in a few rare cases, neither he nor any other human being can provide such a defense. His defense must come from a higher power." BB p. 43

Having had that punched in the gut feeling of wanting a beer, and the only way of geting rid of it was to ask my HP--I know this to be true for me. Glad you snuck through this one.

Meg