Thread: Close Call
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2004, 02:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
collinsmi

Work those steps, do the other things your sponsor suggests, and after a while (maybe not a very long while), you won't find yourself contemplating a drink. For me, the idea of a drink improving things was lifted out some time in the first year. Step work (especially getting things down on paper)? Divine intervention? I'm guessing both. Buying into the idea that doing this stuff would ultimately make me feel better and deal with life better? Maybe that's it! I had the first two before, then decided some things were more important than my program, then that my program wasn't important at all, then that I wasn't really an alcoholic, then how about a beer (YIPPIEEEE!!!!!). How's that for a run on sentence?
So, if you're an alky like me, try not to worry about it and get busy with your step work/meetings/service work. That drink idea will get lifted right out of you and the pubs just won't be a big deal any more. Bottom line is, if I work this stuff, there are no slippery places. If I don't, just being awake is a slippery place!