Notices

Assertiveness

Old 10-28-2015, 07:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Assertiveness

Man, I've struggled being assertive all my life. In the past I've just stuffed it down with alcohol hoping things just go away. And I've done that for many, many years. Obviously that didn't work. But now that I'm sober it's one of the things I'm working on. But boy is it hard and filled with anxiety. Mostly its being assertive in my personal and work life. I'm not really looking for any answers, just want to get it out there. I know, baby steps, but I have a big issue at work I need to address right now.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

With alcohol, it's so easy to "drink at" a person or situation and let it go- without dealing with the issue. The resentment stays, though and has lasting effect.
I would imagine many of us struggle with this issue, particularly if we're introverts. It was always easier to drink away a problem rather than work through it to resolution.
After I quit drinking, it was like I "woke up" and began to see patterns that emerged during my drinking days. This issue was a big part of the pattern.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD

Big issue of mine too. And I'm also am introvert. Thanks for the input. I'm giving myself 15 minutes and then I'm going to have to address the issue with an individual at work.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was an issue of mine as well. I still don't like confrontation, but I am very willing to speak up now.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 10-28-2015, 08:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JD

Ok, an update. As I intellectually knew the thinking and worrying about it is worse than the doing. I had the discussion and it went well. However, I'm not convinced this individual is going to work out long term and I'm going to have to do something about that. There are a lot of important projects riding on this position and it's not going to be easy to fix and pretty disruptive too.

Thanks everyone! You all helped me to have some additional accountability.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yup. I understand completely. And in order for me to be assertive in a sensitive and diplomatic fashion I have to understand my needs, values and boundaries. That's been a big challenge for me. As a codie my needs tend to be everyone else's needs....and their sense of me, is my sense of me. So I have a hard time knowing where they end and I start. I'm working on it. But I am committed to understand myself better so that when I start to lose myself I can put up the stop sign and ask for what I need. That will be something.....
Old 10-28-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great to hear the chat went well JD!!