Notices

Today is the Day.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today is the Day.

This is the day I am stopping. I have decided not to go to the docs just yet, I may make an appointment for this week. I am going to keep an eye on any withdrawal symptoms. When I stopped 5 years ago I don't remember anything too serious.
Also, as a constant dieter, I am not going to worry about calories today. That is not important. At least for now. If I need chocolate, I will have it! Besides, I never "counted" the calories I drank, so I'm sure it will be all even in the end anyway!
I have a friend who has been sober for over 20 years. Should I contact him and let him know what is going on? I know he doesn't know how much I drink.
I am determined. This can't go on. I am doing it for myself.
I will let you know how it's going.
Thank you for this forum.
NACN
Old 10-18-2015, 07:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

5 years ago isn't today. Stopping abruptly can shock the body. You may want to see a doctor as soon as possible. Sudden onset of problems is known to happen.

I wish you well on your sober journey!!
Old 10-18-2015, 07:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Brilliant decision, congratulations! If you have a good friend and feel they could support you, get on the phone to them as soon as. Take all the support you can. My first week was hard with lots of gritting teeth and pushing myself through, but just get yourself over this first bit however you can, things get easier and easier after that.
By the way, I ate all sorts of strange and sugary things for a while, didn't gain weight, there's SO many calories in boozing and booze munchies. Don't worry about diets right now.
Keep in touch and good luck.

xx
Old 10-18-2015, 07:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
5 years ago isn't today. Stopping abruptly can shock the body. You may want to see a doctor as soon as possible. Sudden onset of problems is known to happen.

I wish you well on your sober journey!!
That is good advice. Today is Sunday, so I may see if I can get into the doctor tomorrow.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Good for you and congrats on Day 1! You will not regret it.

I wouldn't worry too much about what you're eating right now. Just be kind to yourself. Eat what your body tells you to eat, just try to balance it all out with some healthy food and lots of water. I had gained about 15 pounds during my last drinking stint and when I stopped the booze, my appetite returned with a vengeance and I was hungry all the time. Interestingly, as much as I was eating, I started losing weight! We tend to forget just how many calories are in that bottle.

Definitely contact any friend you think can be of support to you. Another alcoholic is a great support, especially someone with 20 years of sobriety. Not only will they completely understand what you're going through, but they will also be able to offer great advice and wisdom. Contact your friend today, if you can.

I echo what Sugarbear said - it would be wise to see a doctor. You mentioned in a previous post that your hands were shaking, which means you will experience a fair amount of withdrawal. We can never predict how bad it might get ... so if you start feeling really bad, don't put off getting medical assistance. And just to be safe, try to have other people around you for the next couple of days, just in case.

I wish you well on this bright new journey!
Old 10-18-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by desertsong View Post
Good for you and congrats on Day 1! You will not regret it.

I wouldn't worry too much about what you're eating right now. Just be kind to yourself. Eat what your body tells you to eat, just try to balance it all out with some healthy food and lots of water. I had gained about 15 pounds during my last drinking stint and when I stopped the booze, my appetite returned with a vengeance and I was hungry all the time. Interestingly, as much as I was eating, I started losing weight! We tend to forget just how many calories are in that bottle.

Definitely contact any friend you think can be of support to you. Another alcoholic is a great support, especially someone with 20 years of sobriety. Not only will they completely understand what you're going through, but they will also be able to offer great advice and wisdom. Contact your friend today, if you can.

I echo what Sugarbear said - it would be wise to see a doctor. You mentioned in a previous post that your hands were shaking, which means you will experience a fair amount of withdrawal. We can never predict how bad it might get ... so if you start feeling really bad, don't put off getting medical assistance. And just to be safe, try to have other people around you for the next couple of days, just in case.

I wish you well on this bright new journey!
Thanks so much DesertSong! Thankfully, there are 6 in our household, so there is ALWAYS someone around lol! But I will try to get in to the doctor at some point tomorrow. I know I have a problem with anxiety, maybe she can help me cope with that.
Yes, the last time I stopped I remember having a real fondness for ice cream, and that is what I looked forward to at night instead of the drink! Also, when I was pregnant, I really liked to mix orange juice and ginger ale for a nice refreshing drink. I may try that again as well.
Thank you so much for your support!
NACN
Old 10-19-2015, 12:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You can do this, but stay safe at all times!!
Old 10-19-2015, 03:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

I'd Implore you to ring a Dr and be safe best wishes
Old 10-19-2015, 03:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
HCE

Congrats on your new start.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Great choice on quitting!
Old 10-19-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What a great decision you have made. There is someone here to support you 24/7.
I joined this forum almost 2 years ago. My 2 year sober date is coming up this November. Like you, I made a decision to stop the madness. I didnt know how I was going to do it, just knew I wanted to. A wise old drunk asked me these questions, which I in turn will ask you:
1. What is your plan to stay sober.
2. What is your plan to recognize the triggers that will make yo u think you can drink again.
3. What is your plan to change your drinking habits. What will you replace them with.
4. What is your plan to improve your health.
5. What is the plan to improve your finances.
6. What is the plan to distinquish your close dear friends and your drinking buddies.
7, What is the Plan?
Without answers to these questions and others, you may struggle more than neccesary. The journey ahead of you is going to be a challenge. We are all on this journey together. How we got here may be varied, but we are all trying to get to the same place. And that place is an alcohol free life.
You can do this! We are cheering for you.
Spend lots of time here. Share your feelings, share your successes. Read from the old timers, help the newcomers and remember that everyday you are sober is a wonderful accomplishment. Life is too short for all us and clouding it with booze/drugs makes no sense at all.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can't predict what will happen in withdrawal, based on what happened the last time, so be careful.

I'm glad you have decided to stop drinking. Do you have a plan in place?
Old 10-19-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your support! I am halfway through my second day sober now I have not yet called the doctor, I just got back from work and once I get my son off the bus I may give her a call. So far so good. I did have two lorazepam pills left over from this summer, she prescribed them for me for anxiety over some flights I was taking (she prescribed exactly six pills lol!), but I ended up not needing/using them all. I took one last night. So far really no symptoms, I know it is still early. I was a little nauseous this morning, but that may also be because I took a vitamin on an empty stomach.
In terms of a plan, thank you so much Rick for providing me with such specific questions and to Anna for reinforcing my need for one. I have started a journal, so tonight I think my journaling will involve thinking about and trying to answer these questions.
I am happy to say that my husband is on board, and also is on his second day! He even told me about an app that keeps you accountable, keeps track of each day you stay the course (Way of Life).
It is a good thing to have a partner in this, but I also know it can be dangerous....always looking for the other to want to give in, maybe allowing it to be your opening to start drinking again. I am going to try and be aware of this possibility and do what I can to guard against it.
SR is exactly what I needed. I am so glad to have found this supportive community. I find myself coming here all the time to check it out and reinforce my resolve.
NACN
Old 10-20-2015, 12:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Needachangenow View Post
This is the day I am stopping. I have decided not to go to the docs just yet, I may make an appointment for this week. I am going to keep an eye on any withdrawal symptoms. When I stopped 5 years ago I don't remember anything too serious.
Also, as a constant dieter, I am not going to worry about calories today. That is not important. At least for now. If I need chocolate, I will have it! Besides, I never "counted" the calories I drank, so I'm sure it will be all even in the end anyway!
I have a friend who has been sober for over 20 years. Should I contact him and let him know what is going on? I know he doesn't know how much I drink.
I am determined. This can't go on. I am doing it for myself.
I will let you know how it's going.
Thank you for this forum.
NACN
I've always been pretty vigilant about my health and have had many more sober years in my life than non-sober years, for which I am very thankful...

So one thing that helped motivate me and keep me on track is that I told myself I was going to SUBSTITUTE alcohol with good food and lots of non alcoholic fluids; two things that are very healthy.

Also, making exercise a priority but finding ways to do it so that I enjoy it and love it, not because it's a chore.

I've needed to incorporate a lot of positive thinking in the whole deal, that's for sure and I just tell myself that I will feel so much better and function so much better if I continue to not put things in my body that are really not beneficial...

Be good to yourself. You can do this!
Old 11-01-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How are you need??