Notices

Thanks all who have created this wonderful forum..

Old 10-17-2015, 03:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thanks all who have created this wonderful forum..

OK so I just found this forum.. I drink at least every other day and frankly I don't think I will be alive in 5 years unless I stop. I tell myself this every morning but to no avail. Part of me thinks that this is OK though as I am reaching middle age now and I don't have much that is of interest or exciting in my life as it is.

Thanks though for this..

JR
Old 10-17-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yes, SR is a wonderful place, isn't it? I hope you will spend some time here and read the stories of others who have been where you are. You're not alone, and you will find a lot of support here.

Welcome to SR!
Old 10-17-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jrenaldi2006 View Post

OK so I just found this forum..

Thanks though for this..

JR
Welcome to site JR

Yes, a beautiful place to come so as to keep sobriety first on our mind.

For a drunk such as myself,
staying sober is of most importance.

MM
Old 10-17-2015, 04:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Jrenaldi2006 youl find tons of support here bud
Old 10-17-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

OK so I just found this forum.. I drink at least every other day and frankly I don't think I will be alive in 5 years unless I stop. I tell myself this every morning but to no avail. Part of me thinks that this is OK though as I am reaching middle age now and I don't have much that is of interest or exciting in my life as it is.

Thanks though for this..

JR
Perhaps one of your greatest challenges at this stage in your life is to incorporate something into your life that IS interesting and exciting..., but on the other hand, maybe you just do not realize that there are already things in your life that may not feel exhilerating all the time are still things that can fulfill you.

Realistically, LIFE isn't always "interesting and exciting". Those things are GREAT, sure...but the ordinary things can also contribute to having a fulfilling life.

I found myself this summer feeling REALLY impatient and annoyed and irritable just going about some of my daily routines that needed to be done...and I told myself: "There's GOT to be a better way to get some enjoyment out of these things that need to be done that get on my nerves!"

So that was my little pep talk...

So, say I have to drive to the post office or bank or grocery store...I pop in some of my favorite and PERSONAL music into my CD player in my car...and I've been listening a lot to some wonderful piano music a friend recorded...hymns that we both have known for much of our lives...and his piano playing is beautiful, expressive, passionate, full of SOUL..and because I know him well personally it makes it that much BETTER!!!!
Old 10-17-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you, JR. I think it'll really help you to be here, where we all understand.

I felt the same as you when I found SR. I was drinking all day, every day at that point. I never imagined that I'd be able to stop all together - but being here I found the courage and strength to get free. You can too.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The immediate responses to my post are so supportive!! Thanks all!!! I think I may have finally found a place to find some solace in my constant battle.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you Hevyn..
Old 10-17-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks man.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Tea.. When I think about it, I have always tied fun with drinking.. at least since I was in my teens. Now it has gotten the better of me I think.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to an amazing forum. Glad you found it!
Old 10-17-2015, 07:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, JR

Maybe in sobriety you can find some new hobbies and things that do interest you. Lots of us here have done that.

Glad you're here.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks though for this..

JR
Welcome! Three Octobers ago I was a middle aged guy in the same boat. As I say in my sig line I was beginning to realize I could drink maybe a few more years the way I was going before it killed me, or I could maybe live a couple more decades...but not both. Once you do stop drinking you realize how much of a waste all the drinking was. There's so much more good life that you know right now!
Old 10-18-2015, 12:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome JR. I found the site by accident 2 weeks ago. Obviously I knew in my mind that the time had come for me to stop drinking, but SR has given me the support that I needed to do it. 2 weeks and I haven't drunk. It's a fantastic site. Sending you strength and love. Stay with us.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks Tea.. When I think about it, I have always tied fun with drinking.. at least since I was in my teens. Now it has gotten the better of me I think.
You're not alone in this, plenty of us tied drinking to fun, then not fun, then necessity, then the main thing in life......... how sad. BUT there is another much better way and it you've made a start.
Welcome
xx