Notices

Things still suck even without drinking

Old 10-13-2015, 12:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Things still suck even without drinking

I couldn't think of another title so just thought I'd say how I really felt. So today was eventful. I have 2 jobs. One I work from home and go out an do service calls when needed. The other is a contract job in the medical field doing IT work. Having both jobs really helped me and my family out as my wife is in school. So, there was a meeting about 3 weeks ago stating that work would be indefinite as projects persisted. I get in today and just about an hour before it's time to go I get a call to head to the office of the project manager. "Hey we're letting you go effective immediately". Ha I just laughed to myself thinking what else can happen this year! Saving money for my wife's tuition, paying the extra bills etc etc...court is coming up in 2 weeks for DUI #2. Sigh...well whatever.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that. Life sucks sometimes. But you're a hard working person, and without alcohol you'll be able to pick yourself up and find other work, I'm sure

Don't let it get you down.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you lost your job but think of how much more you'd be behind the eight ball if you were drinking as well?

It's no fair, but things like that happen to the little guys in times like these.

At least this way you're sober and ready to look for new job opportunities, right?
It might give you an edge over some other guy

D
Old 10-13-2015, 03:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

losing a job isnt easy,but its not the end of the world. its not things still suck.
imo, its yer attitude still sucks.youre facing life on lifes terms. getting sober didnt mean all daisies and sunshine for ya now.
you knew 3 weeks ago about this being a possibility.
so maybe you should have started the job hunt back then?

im glad youre just facing financial difficulties and you or your wife werent diagnosed with terminal cancer or something.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Sorry about the job. No advice on that. I've even lucky my boss can't just fire me since we are union. Thank God for that.

You are 100× stronger not drinking. Your clear eyes and genuine sobriety will shine through to all that meet you in your search for a new job.

Have that confidence.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Getting sober doesn't change life. Some of it does suck. But getting sober sure helps you deal better with the parts that do suck and helps make them less sucky. You're doing great. Keep getting your thoughts and frustrations out there. If you were drinking you'd probably keep them bottled up, no pun intended, and numbed with booze.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Jobs come and go. Maybe 2nd dui? medical field? Companies do stuff like that these days. 30 yrs. ago it would be considered unconstitutional to deny a person employment based on their past legal wranglings--not so anymore. You sound resourceful--money will come. Chances of success dwindle considerably if we continue to drink. Here's a simple illustration \ . I'm a good example. Can't legally drive till 2024 from multiple dui's and convicted felon status stops 80% of interviews before they even get started. Think w/out the drink unless you really like the brink.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

When I look back, things worked out for the best, even though at the time I thought it was the worst thing that could happen, and they often worked out by strange coincidences, not by anything I could have managed.

I was once devastated to be let go from a job. I eventually ended up in a job I really disliked, but that was soon followed by learning of a dream job. I went and applied without hope of actually getting it, and was so excited when I did get hired. The whole "when one door closes..." thing.

It took me a long time, but I've also finally accepted that my attitude and level of acceptance really makes a big difference in how I experience life.

I believe you will be okay.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well at least you have us getright sorry about the job bud
Old 10-13-2015, 05:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dealing with the consequences of drinking while trying to get sober can be tough. Hang in there and just don't drink no matter what and things will work themselves out in time. You still have a fighting chance if you don't drink. If you are an alcoholic and drink, you could dig yourself a deeper hole or face some serious jail time if you mess up again or hurt somebody while driving drunk.

Hang in there and trust a higher power has this covered, will lead you in the right direction and take care of you no matter what happens in the short term.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I knew 3 weeks ago that there would be plenty of work for at least the next 2 years so NO I wasn't expecting this.

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
losing a job isnt easy,but its not the end of the world. its not things still suck.
imo, its yer attitude still sucks.youre facing life on lifes terms. getting sober didnt mean all daisies and sunshine for ya now.
you knew 3 weeks ago about this being a possibility.
so maybe you should have started the job hunt back then?

im glad youre just facing financial difficulties and you or your wife werent diagnosed with terminal cancer or something.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Think about this,

If you were drinking and lost the job, you'd have two things to deal with,

Since you aren't, you just have this to get over with. Personally I'd go with it, something to keep my mind focused and off the booze. You'll bounce back, these things that happen in early sobriety tend to subside and pass.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There was recently a thread here that discussed the idea that in sobriety, nothing around you changes...you just become better equipped to deal with the realities of life sober. I think that is very true. Do you think you would be better off still drinking and possibly collecting a 3rd DUI, or facing the problems you face without drinking?

Life is hard...that will never change. Drinking actually makes it harder for an alcoholic. Have you been learning anything that can help at your IOP sessions? Do they perhaps have access to some career service help? You might want to ask, there are many times people who can work with you to help find new/better employment.

Last edited by ScottFromWI; 10-13-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 10-13-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ha, I already collected my 3rd DUI a few months ago. That is what prompted me to join IOP in the first place as I knew that that was it. I had enough of the BS in my life.

Yea you got that right. Life is hard. It really is terrible and unfair at times. We just found a few weeks ago that my wife's nephew who is 3 has muscular dystrophy. Just one thing after the next with the family. My brother in law is an alcoholic and wants to get help. I was talking with him today which lifted my spirits that he wants help. So I'll be there for him even though I'm still early in my sobriety.

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
There was recently a thread here that discussed the idea that in sobriety, nothing around you changes...you just become better equipped to deal with the realities of life sober. I think that is very true. Do you think you would be better off still drinking and possibly collecting a 3rd DUI, or facing the problems you face without drinking?

Life is hard...that will never change. Drinking actually makes it harder for an alcoholic. Have you been learning anything that can help at your IOP sessions? Do they perhaps have access to some career service help? You might want to ask, there are many times people who can work with you to help find new/better employment.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some of what you are dealing with is the aftermath of drinking (3 dui's) and some, like losing your job today, is just life happening around you. You know that staying sober is essential to coping with job loss and family issues. I think it's great that your brother in law reached out to you and that you want to offer support to him.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The DUIs were just completely ridiculous and stupid. I regret every single one of them. I already went to court for 1 of them. My lawyer thinks I have a good case to get it down to a wreckless so we'll see. I'm hoping as trust me I've learned my lessons. Financially, emotionally, resent, regretting myself for a lot of things. It's all bad. All I can do is move from this point. I'll face what I have to face and show the judge I'm trying to do something about my issue.

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Some of what you are dealing with is the aftermath of drinking (3 dui's) and some, like losing your job today, is just life happening around you. You know that staying sober is essential to coping with job loss and family issues. I think it's great that your brother in law reached out to you and that you want to offer support to him.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Getright... sorry for your troubles man, it sucks.. i have no real advice since its all been covered and im in the same boat with you.. needing a career change sometime. Im also early on in sobriety... maybe we can both stick close to sr and both weather the storm.. good luck man
Old 10-13-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi Getright - I'm sorry you lost your job. However, I'm of the same opinion as Joanne, "When one door closes......." I just wanted to let you know that I'm wishing you the best. Hang in there. You will get through this.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The things that suck only suck worse when we add alcohol.

In sobriety, we can address the things that suck productively and with a positive attitude.... And we can make changes to move in a less sucky direction.