Notices

Tapering off of Suboxone

Old 10-12-2015, 07:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tapering off of Suboxone

I cut myself down to 1mg or some days 1/2mg what am I doing wrong that I still can't stop? I'm very worried because I have kids who need me on the go, I want them to have a normal Mommy. I know I'm feeling things I never felt before, I cry a lot I know my depression has kicked in. My family keeps telling me I'm torturing myself by tapering off as I was told to do after my doctor was shut down. I was taking them for 1 year 3 months went straight from 8 milligrams to 4 milligrams - 2 milligrams now to one milligram or half a milligram. Is it possible for me to stop at this dose or should I try to lower myself from this point now until I have my babysitter next week and then go cold turkey? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd recommend you see a different doctor if yours is not available anymore. Quitting anything cold turkey is not a good idea without seeing a professional first.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Bupe reaches receptor saturation at extremely low doses. In my humble opinion t is disgusting what some of these long term maintenance pay cash as you go doctors are doing to people.

Stepping down to a lower dose quickly should not be a problem. Bupe also has a very, very long half life. A lot of people expect the worse and get psychosomatic withdrawal symptoms long before actual physical symptoms should set in.

There are many taper schedules. Find a short to medium taper schedule. Follow it to a T if you are serious and cannot go to a detox center short term.

Long hot bath, exercise, walks and yoga may be helpful.

When you get real low, 1/4 or 1/8 of a pill or mg, see if your doc will switch you over to Bupe without the blocker. If not, just jump. You will be okay.

Candidly, you cannot escape this without any discomfort whatsoever. Addicts are wimps which is why we take this stuff and get so hooked. We don't want to feel any discomfort whatsoever.

Discomfort won't kill you. In fact, cold turkey, no taper, opiate withdrawals won't kill you, but may make you wish you were dead for a few days.

I won't lie to you. Subs or Bupe sucks. Taper down and jump. Suck it up. Go through a few crappy days and it will be over and you can start living your life again. The longer you drag it out and try to avoid discomfort, the longer you will actually suffer and feel crappy.

You can do it. I have done it many times over the years and I am the biggest wimp there is about never wanting to be a little uncomfortable.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Unhappy

Unfortunately the only two doctors both were shut down for prescribing medication without anything just seeing dollar signs.. I can't think of one person who I use to talk to who's Doc. actually helped tapper.

I am scared of course but I know this isn't going to be a walk in the park.

I did the ROBERT tapper to a T. I just can't seem to get lower because my kids are all under 10 and need me to do everything as I should be. They do not deserve to see me the way I have been I try to keep myself in my bedroom but I see that all I'm doing is making myself more depressed ..
This is what I wanted so bad and I have no choice anymore but to STOP.
I've been drinking water and vitamin water, taking vitamin D someone actually told me to take RSL sleeping pills but to me I would probably form a habit of wanting them all the time so this morning I choose to dump the entire bottle even though it says not narcotic they're sold at every store I don't need anything else in me that my mind will think I'm addicted to.
I appreciate your help so much, I have 5 days to drop and I have to stop making excuses I know I could do this I stopped cold turkey on percocets it wasn't easy but it wasn't nowhere near as hard as I heard this is going to be but I did that I know I could do this..
One day at a time, one minute at a time..
Yoga is going to be next, I need my head in the right place. My friend stopped on 2mg at day 10 and said it wasn't as bad but wasn't easy. I know we are all different from one another, I just need some outside encouraging words and people who will not judge me..
Old 10-12-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I agree with Scott
Old 10-12-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Always best to be safe, Cold Turkey can come with problems if the body is too dependant on a substance over a long period of time!!

A Dr of some sort and some medical advice would be my thoughts.

You can do this!!
Old 10-12-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi again GodisGreat

None of us can answer your question here as none of us are doctors, and it's actually against our rules to give medical advice.

That's for your safety

You may have to go a little farther afield to find a Dr?

D
Old 10-12-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My question is, what can I do to help with the detoxing? I received a handful of answers from one person yoga, drinking water, hot showers etc..
I AM NEW. Just so everyone has a heads up since I didn't clear that up (SORRY) my PCP is the one who is helping me because where I am from all the suboxone doctors have been shut down, I could travel 3-4 hours away but that would not be an option for me I have no vehicle to get me back and forth every week every two weeks or monthly..
I was also asking if anyone has ever detox at home off of Suboxone I found numerous threads of people who have done it from home and I've been following them and I plan to write to them to seek some input as well as advice and most of all people who support me. My support team is 3 people! Just looking for words of wisdom and comfort.
Thank you

Last edited by GodIsGreat; 10-12-2015 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Forgot to put the most important part in. That I do have my PCP who found my suboxone doctor helping me.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GodIsGreat View Post
My question is, what can I do to help with the detoxing? I received a handful of answers from one person yoga, drinking water, hot showers etc..
I AM NEW. Just so everyone has a heads up since I didn't clear that up (SORRY) my PCP is the one who is helping me because where I am from all the suboxone doctors have been shut down, I could travel 3-4 hours away but that would not be an option for me I have no vehicle to get me back and forth every week every two weeks or monthly..
I was also asking if anyone has ever detox at home off of Suboxone I found numerous threads of people who have done it from home and I've been following them and I plan to write to them to seek some input as well as advice and most of all people who support me. My support team is 3 people! Just looking for words of wisdom and comfort.
Thank you
Glad the sub docs are getting shut down.

Words of wisdom and comfort, you can do this and trust me, you will be glad that you did.

Even if you go to a detox facility, they will step you down with Bupe and it will be a very low dose 5 day taper if you are down to a mg a day. Been then, you will feel some discomfort and have some sleep issues for several days. It is unavoidable.

Sadly, based on my experience of detoxing myself and going to detox facilities on multiple occasions (started my AA and treatment journey at 15 in 1983), I can say without a doubt that the longer you try and taper and drag it out, the longer you feel like utter crap.

You need to get endorphins and dopamine production firing again naturally. Exercise, biurnal beats, watching funny movies or emotional movies, hot baths, staying active as opposed to lying in bed, staying in constant communication with someone who understands, taking vitamins, and maybe even natural herbs such as Rhodola Rosea or DLPA may help this process. Research these and discuss with your doctor.

Your pituatary has basically shut down natural production of endorphins and dopamine is very low naturally. This is what causes the malaise and withdrawal symptoms.

Search Yourube for biurnal beats or sounds that stimulate endorphine and dopamine production. Put in head phones and meditate or try to sleep.

This stuff does not take a rocket scientist to figure out. I am not an MD, but I do have a masters and doctorate degrees and I unfortunately have been to the best detox and treatment centers in several countries and multiple states. I understand what you are going through and sympathize very much.

Unfortunately, money hungry suboxone doctors all too often switch people from short acting opiates that are relatively easy to quit cold turkey and only provide discomfort for a minimal period of time to Bupe/subs that have an extremely long high life and a very high infinity for saturating receptors making it very difficult to shake.

At the end of the day, a detox center is the absolute best route though.

I would say read Thomas recipe, but that usually calls for benzos to ease withdrawals. Benzos present a whole new set of problems and cold turkey withdrawing from benzos without professional help can kill you or cause brain damage from seizures.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

:You_Rock_ I can not thank you enough for giving me everything I have been looking for. Unfortunately like you stated both my SUB Doctors have been shut down because of selling illegal prescriptions and so forth not sure if I'm allowed to post all that but as I post previous the DEA has shot them both down. No matter how much I cried or begged for them to taper me down neither of them have ever said yes let's start today. I do not recommend anyone to stop cold turkey unfortunately I was stuck to do this by myself because of the situation that I put myself in from not looking into the medication I wasn't aware that it is not long term I was already off of opiates when I started to boxing i detox at home by myself withdrawal wasn't crazy but it was definitely no walk in the park.
As for Subs, I do know that the life time is a lot longer and a lot stronger. However I have no more options. Like you said the longer I keep tapering myself the harder it is going to be coming this Thursday I will be coming off completely and cannot wait to see just today I am one day clean. My friend who was on longer, but less amount of MG is now 12 days clean following my tapering technique that I received from my previous sponsor.
I will definitely speak with my PCP who is helping me with this about the stuff that you have named I will go back and write it down for him to help me with.
:tyou Thank you so much!! I will definitely keep those who are last thing and those who can view that are dealing with the same problem my progress.
I tried numerous rehabs around me of course everyone wanted to send me to Florida and pay $30,000 out of pocket which I don't have or I wouldn't be having the problems that I am having. I am glad that you found a great place to help you, here in Philadelphia area we have many but not any help with suboxone. Never heard of it but I tried and attempted numerous times.
I believe in a higher power above to help me through this. One day I hope to help someone else :grouphug: until then I just ask for prayers and any type of advice.
Thank you so much