Notices

Traumatic Incident Leading to Heavy Drinking Again

Old 10-08-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Traumatic Incident Leading to Heavy Drinking Again

I haven't been on in a while, some of you may remember me. I had something truly terrible happen which exacerbated my preexisting trauma issues and now I've been drinking a lot and I have to quit all over again.

While moving last month, I packed a 15' rented truck full of my entire life. The truck was stolen off the street with everything in it, and when it was recovered I got very little back. I collect art and all of it was stolen except for the largest pieces. I also make my own art and all of it was stolen--every last piece.

Here's what else they stole: all the memorabilia of my entire life, my scrapbooks, photo albums full of pictures, about half of my personal journals, they basically wiped out most of my personal history. They took my ceramics, small sculptures, all my decorative stuff, everything I'd collected abroad on my travels including quite a few antique traditional handmade blankets from around the world and other decorative fabrics. They took my entire wardrobe, including many vintage, original and handmade pieces, all of my coats, bags, belts and other accessories, jewelry boxes, all my luggage and most of my travel gear. Some shoes and bike gear, all of my bedding and towels, some kitchenware, some electronics, all of the books that were in there, government IDs including my pasport and social security card, pay stubs, my personal checks, and other stuff. They left behind the furniture, the largest paintings, stacks of paper, and loose photos. My computers weren't in the truck, so those didn't get stolen.

For a little back story on what this means for me, most of my closest friends are also artists and I acquired many many of their pieces over the past 15 years. One of my painter friends, my best friend of five years, died in 2004 after going off his meds for manic depression. I had many many of his original paintings, drawings, and prints. He's gone now, and all I had left of him was his art and it meant the world to me. Although my own work was also stolen, it's harder to lose his. I also had some of his writings which they took. Also I'm a very hard worker who comes from very humble means and I've worked really hard for everything I've ever had. I work in the service industry which isn't exactly my calling, but it's my personal connection to the arts and writing that have kept me afloat and that's what I really had to show for myself and my existence.

Everyday I can't get it out of my head how stupid I feel for letting this happen. Some days I can't see the point of even trying anymore. I've been properly depressed for the past month, and can't bring myself to look after myself well. I've been in therapy before but I can't afford it now, and I don't have any insurance. I still can't believe these people that walked right up and thought, oh perfect. Let's just walk right up and destroy this woman's life.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome back, Violet. I'm sorry to learn of your rough times. I hope you regain peace of mind soon. How can we help?
Old 10-08-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I cannot imagine. I am so sorry. What could we do to help?
Old 10-08-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back Violet, so sorry to hear of what you've had to go through!!
Old 10-08-2015, 11:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Violet, I'm so sorry that this happened to you. You are in my thoughts.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear that this has happened
I hope karma bites those jerks where it hurts.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Violet, how absolutely awful. I'm so sorry that this happened. Don't beat yourself up about it because really, you did nothing wrong.

Have you checked area flea markets to see if any of your stuff has turned up?

I wish you the best.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh honey, sorry to hear of your mishap! It sounds like you are in a vicious cycle!

Part of my recovery plan of action is writing...I have found that very helpful when I am feeling tempted.

You're not a failure. We've all been there and know what you're going through.

You're not stupid at all, so get that persistent idea out of your head!

Hang tough...You'll get through this.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Violet, how absolutely awful. I'm so sorry that this happened. Don't beat yourself up about it because really, you did nothing wrong.

Have you checked area flea markets to see if any of your stuff has turned up?

I wish you the best.
I am so very sorry Violet. My house was robbed, and all my family heirloom jewelry was taken, and I felt so violated. Your situation is that x100. The police did tell me to look in pawn shops around the area, not to close tho to the.robbery, that people find their things sometimes. I hope somehow someway the more sentimental things come back to you. Take care, we are here.for you.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That's terrible, Violet. I'm glad you came back though. Please keep posting and stay with us.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So, sorry, Violet, your loss must be devastating, but certainly not your fault and absolutely nothing that drinking will make better. No one can take your precious memories- except alcohol. We are here for you. Wishing you peace.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh my Violet, I am so sorry to hear of this.
How devastating. I am so sorry you lost those personal items with sentimental value, what a senseless and awful thing to do to a person. Please do stay with us, what can we do to help you through this?
Old 10-08-2015, 04:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know exactly how you feel. About ten years ago, our moving van hit a fuel tanker and we lost EVERYTHING! Unfortunately, the man who packed us for this move died instantly. My husband is also an artist so we lost every single painting, as well as, photos, wedding dress, yearbooks and too numerous sentimental items to list. The fact that the packer died really put into perspective that we lost material items whereas his family lost a husband, a dad and a son.

I can't think of one thing about that awful experience that would have been made better by drinking. Once you wake up after a blackout stupor, your stuff is still gone. Only now, you are violently ill on top of being depressed about what happened.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That is awful.
I am sorry this happened after all your hard work and effort and love of collecting your artworks & personal belongings.

I know it is hard but please try not personalise what these awful people did...

..drinking won't give any answers or relief...try doing something really nice for yourself, something caring and nurturing, maybe something relating to art.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow, that is the very definition of horrible. I am going to assume none of this work was insured, as it was mostly sentimental and purely blood sweat and tears that created this work? I really feel for you. That rental truck that was stolen must have turned up somewhere, I would start there and backtrack. I would also see if a GPS tracking device was on the truck....somewhere. If you have electronic records of the artwork or writings on a memory stick I would get that "out" and see if anything comes back to you. Again, that is horrible. I wish you the best.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm very sorry Violet. Sometimes bad things happen to good people, and I hope you'll stop beating yourself up for this.

Someone else saw their chance and took it. It's despicable but it's not your fault.

as for drinking, that opens the door to the biggest thief of all...alcohol. I have whole years where I can't remember things that happened.

especially after something dreadful like this, your memories are so so important. Treasure them and guard them.

Look after yourself, ok?

D
Old 10-08-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear the news, Violet. That was a real crummy thing and I'm sure you're upset about it.

There's some good news, though. You weren't hurt in the event. Your bank account wasn't touched. You still have a home, and your family and friends. And, the great thing about being an artist is that you can always create NEW art and find inspiration in new things. We are constantly evolving as people, and sometimes we hang on to the past too tightly. Maybe there's a small silver lining here? It sounds like, if there was a time to start over, that time is now. A fresh and new horizon, with new adventures, and a sober life is yours for the taking! We look forward to hearing more of your thoughts. Stick around!
Old 10-08-2015, 10:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wow, that's terrible, Violet! I am glad you're back and trying to get sober again. As bad as your loss has been it won't be improved by being drunk. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this, and it's sad that there are such evil and heartless people in the world.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Violet. I'm so sorry that this happened to you, I was tearing up reading your post. There are some evil people in this world. I just wanted to say it was not your fault that this happened, you could not have known (no one could). Take care, you need to be kind to yourself right now.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

How are you doing today, Violet? Thinking of you.