Notices

So hungry!

Old 10-07-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So hungry!

I am on my day 4 and I can't seem to stop eating. I want everything and anything and chocolate (but I have no motivation to cook). What could be the physiological reason for this?
I know they say to eat healthy in your first few days but it is all I can do not to live off of pizza and ice cream bars. I was able to slip some spinach and tomatoes into my breakfast wrap and that is the closest thing I've come to a vegetable lately.
It doesn't feel compulsive but it's actually hunger, I'm just allowing it right now because I'm using up all my willpower on avoiding wine. Anyone else get this and will it go away?
Old 10-07-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When drinking we were taking in a lot of calories that had zero nutritional value, and I know I didn't always eat that well, if at all. Between whacked blood sugar and stages of malnutrition, hunger is to be expected.

Some recovery nutrition plans are extremely high carb, for that reason.

I ate a lot of sugary stuff for the first three/four months and then it died down.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The aim of the game at this early stage is to remain Sober, whatever works, there'll be plenty of time for diet/exercise and getting healthy, one thing at a time though.

For me I was snacking all the time for the first few weeks, hadn't much energy, but things adjusted and levelled out!!

Hang in there!!
Old 10-07-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi ohme- I am on my 4th day and feeling the exact same way. I just decided like you to not freak out to much about it because the stress is high enough. Congrats on your 4th day - You can do this
Old 10-07-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

I lived off pizza, ice cream and candy for almost 2 months. I gained at least 25 pounds in 7 weeks. I spent more money daily on food the last 2 months than I did on booze. My family naturally assumes I just upped my drinking. I look worse now than when I was hardcore drinking, yet I feel lighter because my brain doesn't feel like wet bread 24/7. I dropped the pizza and ice cream almost a week ago and have been easing up on the candy. Fun times...
Old 10-07-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

My biggest decision for 90 days was the rocky road or butter pecan ice cream. Rest, sleep, eat, meetings, SR = recovery. After stacking a little sober time I got to work on cleaning up the wreckage.

Glad you're here!
Old 10-07-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's very natural to have a strong appetite in early recovery and you should embrace it. As was pointed out, you took in a lot of completely useless calories when you were drinking and now your body is making up for it. The craving for sugary things comes from your body suddenly being deprived of the glucose that the alcohol turned into in your system. Now that you aren't drinking, your body is trying to keep that level up. Nothing to worry about and, in my opinion, something you should just give in to in early recovery as it helps with cravings.

Eventually, you will need to get your diet into a better routine but for now, do whatever keeps you away from drinking. Just try to work in exercise and enjoy the ride as your body starts taking in real calories again.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I tend to lean towards juice and koolaid mixed with selter or sparkling water. Helping with the cravings. I do have a better appetite but I try not to over do it.

Mostly I find I'm really thirsty.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just eat! It will start to wane after a while. My mantra in the early days was, "I'm not drunk, I will eat this ice cream/waffle/bag of chips/burger....." and it all slowed right down and I lost a ton of weight in the first 3 months. Don't worry... be hungry!
Old 10-07-2015, 06:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Totally relate

Ohme, I totally relate and I agree with others....allow yourself to eat what you want. You don't want to completely substitute an addiction.....I started obvious binge eating during the time frame that I'd normally drink....and I gained 20 pounds....ALTHOUGH I could have made the choice not to binge.

To be honest, even caring intensely about my weight, I would STILL rather have gained the we lbs than to have drank!!!

I say ice cream it up, my friend. It will level out.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Can completely relate. Your body is starving for some nutrition, some calories that are meaningful. I also thinks it has to do with the good bacteria in your digestive system (flora). Alcohol kills all of good digestive bacteria, so when you get it back, you want to eat like a monster. I ALWAYS took this as a good sign. Don't sweat it, just eat.