Notices

The First Step

Old 10-06-2015, 11:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy The First Step

I have had a few - quite a few - attempts at stopping drinking. I drink daily - at night, after work. I have managed to minimise the effects of my drinking by drinking at home while I watch TV. Then I pass out in bed. Next day I go to work, come home, and repeat the cycle. I want to stop.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Traceygrace!!

For me had to change up my routines, my activities, what I did on my evenings after work, my weekends, continuing on with the same lifestyle and simply not drinking wasn't enough, I needed to revolutionise my lifestyle into a Sober one!!

It can be done, but continuing to try the same things and expecting different results never worked!!

You can do this, and you'll find loads of support here on SR to help!!
Old 10-06-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you. There is someone out there! I always plan not to buy a bottle of wine and then I get home and think... ah I just want to relax. My mornings are... I won't drink. My nights are... yes I will. Change my routine... I need to think about how to do that. I really want to be healthy and strong and sober.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, traceygrace; glad you found us.

I totally agree with Purpleknight; as our alcoholic habits tend to be well-ingrained, a change in your evening routine could be very helpful in breaking the current cycle of drinking. Maybe consider incorporating an exercise regimen into your evening; instead of watching TV, read a book or work on a craft or hobby; start a recovery journal; plan on logging onto SR to read and post; take a cooking class, etc.

I have found sobriety to be very rewarding; hope you do, too.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you. Those are good ideas. Yes, the whole habit thing is really ingrained isn't it. I will try to take a walk this afternoon after work and then log in here. Thanks for your help. thanks
Old 10-06-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, traceygrace. I hope you will post often and let us know how you are doing.

Good luck. I am glad you are here with us.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm glad too. Really glad.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Welcome, glad you're here with us!

Many of us got to that point of just us and the bottle. We had pushed everything else away.......

I finally decided to get into a structured program of recovery. My own self will did not work for me in staying stopped. I needed f2f support. You have recovery options.

Keep posting, you're not alone.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with changing your routine. That's what helped me a lot in the early days. Drive home a different way from work, go out for a walk in the evening instead of sitting and drinking, call a friend, take a course, whatever works for you.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome tracey! Glad to see you as part of the community! You will find this to be a fantastic resource I'm sure.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Traceygrace! Glad you found us.

I spent a couple decades going through the same routine you are going through. The problem is it gets worse and worse. I eventually started drinking earlier and earlier and at work.

You can make this change. Lean on us as much as you need. It helped me early on to stay close to SR, join the monthly class and post often.

We are here to help each other.

Welcome aboard.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Tracey Grace - some great suggestions here already

This community helped me turn my life around - I know we can help you to do the same

D
Old 10-06-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had the same routine Tracey. You could try an aa meeting in the evening. Also, don't drive home the same way so you don't pass the liquor store. Try to extend the time you stay at work a little or right after work go for a walk. Write down things to do when you are home. So you have a list of options other than drinking. These are strategies I used. I hope they help
Old 10-06-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by traceygrace View Post
I have had a few - quite a few - attempts at stopping drinking. I drink daily - at night, after work. I have managed to minimise the effects of my drinking by drinking at home while I watch TV. Then I pass out in bed. Next day I go to work, come home, and repeat the cycle. I want to stop.
Yeah.... I know that routine. It was awful.

For me, it started stopping when I started starting....

Starting to really embrace sobriety
Starting to go regularly to AA
Starting to read The Big Book - cover to cover, numerous times
Starting to change my habits - where I went, who I hung out with, what I spent my days doing.
Starting to make new choices
Starting to get honest with myself
Starting to open up my inner Self through therapy
Starting to see the changes and the improvements to my life from all these things.

You can get started stopping by getting started starting, too...

Starting now.