addiction is one hell of a disease

Old 10-01-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

addiction is one hell of a disease

Realized a depressing reality today...

During my ex's most recent trip to rehab (30 days inpatient, concluded in July), he made a group of friends. There were four total, 3 were opiate addicts and one was addicted to xanex. One has since died, and the other three (my ex included) have relapsed. No one from his group stayed sober. I know they say to "hang with the winners," when getting sober.

I mention this because a good friend of mine who is a "double winner" found out yesterday that her best friend has relapsed after 3 years sober. I'm feeling discouraged about sobriety in general right now. Can anyone stay sober?

Addiction is one hell of a disease.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hopepraylove,

Sorry to hear this news. Remember, it is not your fault this has happened and there was nothing you could have done to prevent it.

My daughter (opiate pills / heroin) went through a 28 day detox / rehab and then moved immediately into a sober living house about 1000 miles away in Florida.

About a month after she moved, DW and I went to visit for a weekend and to deliver her car to her. One of the fellows she had been through rehab with was turning 23 and a number of friends had decided that a bunch of us should all go out to dinner and celebrate.

We all had a good time - drug and alcohol free. After dinner we took some photos of the group to forward to the birthday boy's mom back in our home town.

I happened across those photos a few weeks ago and realized that of the 8 kids in the photo, my daughter was the only one who had remained clean. This dinner was about 18 months ago.

Addiction IS one hell of a disease.

Jim
Old 10-01-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

On average, it takes 5-7 times before someone stops smoking cigarettes for good. It took me 12 tries over a period of 25+ years.. Nicotine won't hijack the brain the way narcotics do, either.

My daughter has been clean for 5+ years. I make no assumptions that it will last but I'm grateful for each precious day she is sober and happy. I'm prepared for the worst but pray everyday for the best.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chino View Post
On average, it takes 5-7 times before someone stops smoking cigarettes for good. It took me 12 tries over a period of 25+ years.. Nicotine won't hijack the brain the way narcotics do, either.

My daughter has been clean for 5+ years. I make no assumptions that it will last but I'm grateful for each precious day she is sober and happy. I'm prepared for the worst but pray everyday for the best.
Congrats to your daughter on her sobriety. Thank you for sharing her story.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JimC60 View Post
Hopepraylove,

Sorry to hear this news. Remember, it is not your fault this has happened and there was nothing you could have done to prevent it.

My daughter (opiate pills / heroin) went through a 28 day detox / rehab and then moved immediately into a sober living house about 1000 miles away in Florida.

About a month after she moved, DW and I went to visit for a weekend and to deliver her car to her. One of the fellows she had been through rehab with was turning 23 and a number of friends had decided that a bunch of us should all go out to dinner and celebrate.

We all had a good time - drug and alcohol free. After dinner we took some photos of the group to forward to the birthday boy's mom back in our home town.

I happened across those photos a few weeks ago and realized that of the 8 kids in the photo, my daughter was the only one who had remained clean. This dinner was about 18 months ago.

Addiction IS one hell of a disease.

Jim
That is so sad Jim. Congrats on your daughter's sobriety. I'll pray for you and her.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My ex's sister just moved out of state s couple months ago. She and her boyfriend and their two sons. She was hoping to get her boyfriend away from the drug scene in AK (heroin and meth are BAD here) and he has done well before when they didn't live here.

He got a large sum of money (regular quarterly check--idk how much) and took off. Came back, packed his stuff, pawned most of her belongings, and moved two states south. Left her and his two babies with no money, no car.

Addiction is a hell of a monster.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by auroraxborealis View Post
My ex's sister just moved out of state s couple months ago. She and her boyfriend and their two sons. She was hoping to get her boyfriend away from the drug scene in AK (heroin and meth are BAD here) and he has done well before when they didn't live here.

He got a large sum of money (regular quarterly check--idk how much) and took off. Came back, packed his stuff, pawned most of her belongings, and moved two states south. Left her and his two babies with no money, no car.

Addiction is a hell of a monster.
My ex and I lived in AK. We were in anchorage, he is a heroin addict...he went from prescription pills to H when he went up to AK. We moved back to California last year, he relapsed on pain killers and crack...I've learned it doesn't really matter where you go...drugs are everywhere. You have to want to be sober for it to work anywhere.