I will never understand addiction

Old 09-28-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy I will never understand addiction

At 3am-ish, Saturday morning, a friend of ours answered a knock on his front door to find the police standing on his steps. They were there to inform his 2 boys that their mom, his ex-wife, had been found dead from an apparent overdose on heroin. She was 45. The needle was still in her arm.

They thought she'd been "getting better" because she seemed to have gained some weight last time they saw her. They didn't see her often, it was nothing for her to drop out of their lives for weeks & months at a time. The boys are young adults now & have been dealing with her increasing drug abuse since they were in elementary school..... now feeling smothered with guilt over feeling relieved that the nightmare is over and a sadness that they don't quite understand because they've been so detached for so long.

I really liked T, I initially thought we could be friends. I watched them get married at sunset on the beach, amazed that after 10+ years of love & friendship & 2 kids they were finally ready to commit to each other. I witnessed them releasing butterflies into those dramatic purple, red & blue layers of light from the sun setting on the water. I would have called you a liar if you tried warning me that in a year's time she'd be selling her body to finance her drug habit. No one could predict that in less than 2 years things would fall so far apart that it would culminate in her barricading herself in a seedy motel room for days with her best friend's husband - both of them drugged out of their minds on a bender, destroying both of their families in one fell swoop.

It's been years since I spoke to T. The further she went down the rabbit hole, the less she socialized or interacted with anyone. The last time I saw her, we had a conversation I will NEVER forget because she made it very clear that she had no intention or desire or plan to consider sobriety. (and sort of impatient - like, when are YOU ALL going to get that?) She told me that she'd been purposely distancing herself from her kids to help them detach because she knew she was never going to be a worthwhile mother. She wanted them to fully embrace having a single dad & said that she'd long given up the idea of even trying to be a decent mother. She would never qualify & was not going to try. Nothing was more important than her drugs, simply put. Then she walked out of my house to go do her drugs in the woods & got lost, literally. (I have a known zero-tolerance policy she respected enough to not cross.) We had to send out search parties to find her.

I was horrified, her boys were about 8 & 10 & struggling. I was a new mother, DD still a baby cutting teeth. Who sees this & still pursues such selfish destruction? Her husband had tried holding on but had to force divorce to save himself & the boys financially & emotionally. She was living dangerously & that put them all too close to the heat of the fire. He had to remove her from their lives to give the rest of them a chance to survive - but he never stopped loving the girl he fell in love with in high school. He never stopped hoping & praying that she would WAKE UP one day, even while he went on living his life.

She pretty much told me then that this WAS her life, this WAS her choice & this is what I remember most now. She has gotten her wish. She tied off in her bathroom & shot drugs into her veins that no one even knew she was doing, dying silently while friends watched tv in the next room.

I will never understand. But there's no denying that she was very honest with all of us for a very long time. We're the ones struggling with Acceptance.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Firesprite)))
That is so sad.....
Old 09-28-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So sad. I have so much anger at addiction and addicts, then stories like this come out and my heart just breaks for those addicted. Thinking of her family...and you...I know what it's like to lose a friend to drugs no matter how detached or distant we were, it still sucks.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firebolt View Post
Thinking of her family...and you...I know what it's like to lose a friend to drugs no matter how detached or distant we were, it still sucks.
Thank you for this. I *am* struggling more than I expected to. We weren't close, it doesn't change or impact me really. I was shopping with my bestie when RAH called to tell me all about this - she was at the party when I had that conversation with T & we've talked about it many times over the years. We kept looking at each other all day & saying, she's REALLY gone? Like - died? And it's not a movie or a joke or a story about someone we don't know? It FEELS slightly surreal. I only just remembered to ask about services this morning!
Old 09-28-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Prayers & comforting thoughts for all who love this woman ~

May she be remembered that she was more than her disease ~ even tho that was her choice ~ may healing occur with her friends & family so they can rejoice in the good memories ~

Addiction is heartbreaking for all ~

May someone read this & find their inner courage to make healthier choices

big pink hugs
Old 09-28-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Unless you're an addict it's impossible to understand addiction. It's a mental illness that requires treatment and willingness on the part of the addict to get help.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Baby Steps

((((Hugs)))) firesprite I am so sorry for your loss and for the loss of her children and family. Such a sad story.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(((Firesprite)))

so very sad...how hopeless she must have felt against the disease. I pray for peace for her family...her children...that someday, they can understand and come to terms with this senseless tragedy.

Its so true that we can't fix them. Oh, how I wish we could.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How sad. I am so sorry.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

this breaks my heart. Her poor boys
Old 09-28-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My heart breaks for all her friends and family, especially her children. Addiction is such a hard thing to understand. I always think, "when addiction picks you, your life is hell."
It seems to add more layers to the grieving process too.

May you all be comforted by memories of better times.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for everyone's loss.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
At 3am-ish, Saturday morning, a friend of ours answered a knock on his front door to find the police standing on his steps. They were there to inform his 2 boys that their mom, his ex-wife, had been found dead from an apparent overdose on heroin. She was 45. The needle was still in her arm.
If there's one thing I've learned from listening to Dr Drew Pinsky's radio shows, it is that heroin is a flat out killer. Nobody ever plans on becoming a heroin addict, especially with the stigma that surrounds the drug... and yet people overdose on it every day. I've heard addicts and ex addicts describe it as taking something that makes them feel so euphoric and filled with pure happiness that the rest of their normal life seemed to pale in comparison, and that there's no way they'll ever be able to recreate that level of happiness without taking that drug. That scares me beyond belief.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hugs for you, and many prayers for her family and many friends, including you. I have no words of help. My thoughts are with you.

Ktf
Old 09-30-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wow that really speaks volumes to the hold addiction has on people. Very sad. I pray that her ex and boys will find peace and comfort in this difficult time.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

FireSprite -- this is a painful loss and in a much different way than most. Because it really can't be explained like other tragedies that people encounter (ex. cancer at a young age or an accident that takes someone's life )

I have a friend that went from PTA mom to meth addict. In everyday suburbia. It doesn't make sense.

Very sorry for your loss and the pain the family has to endure.

Blue
Old 10-02-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hugs, FireSprite. I'm very sorry for your loss.