Notices

The PLAN

Old 09-17-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The PLAN

Just wondering what you have as a Plan to stop drinking.
Is your plan made just for today and updated new one for tomorrow or do make a plan for the week or longer?
Been away with the boys for a weeks fishing, didn't touch a drop. Have had dinner out with friends several times with no alcohol. Everyone thought I'd cancer or some serious like that.LOL.
But when I'm home it's a different story ... I work from home so I need a plan for when I'm home so I don't sneak down the shed for a swifty. No alcohol in house so I'll walk down to the local and get some and bring it home.
It's been suggested I get a new job, find an office somewhere else ... No can do, tried it.
What I need is a good plan and some guts.
Any ideas?
JS
Old 09-17-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...SMA12-4474.pdf

You can do this James
Old 09-17-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

why do you think you keep drinking James?

D
Old 09-17-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JamesSquire View Post
Just wondering what you have as a Plan to stop drinking.
Is your plan made just for today and updated new one for tomorrow or do make a plan for the week or longer?
Been away with the boys for a weeks fishing, didn't touch a drop. Have had dinner out with friends several times with no alcohol. Everyone thought I'd cancer or some serious like that.LOL.
But when I'm home it's a different story ... I work from home so I need a plan for when I'm home so I don't sneak down the shed for a swifty. No alcohol in house so I'll walk down to the local and get some and bring it home.
It's been suggested I get a new job, find an office somewhere else ... No can do, tried it.
What I need is a good plan and some guts.
Any ideas?
JS
I think its Rational Recovery (which I'm not familiar with) that suggests the Big Plan. I'll have to educate myself on what that means. I try to always have a plan. My plan includes making sure I'm busy each day (I'm retired)...I literally write lists each night so my day is booked...or at least pretty busy. I make sure I schedule exercise everyday, vigorous. A class or some kind of group commitment. I also make sure I have a 'strategy' for dealing with cravings and thoughts of drinking. Coping mechanisms if you will. I try to set my thinking straight before I even get out of bed...make a commitment to my recovery, tell myself that I can only control me and my reactions, and tell myself I am grateful for all that I have and all that I am. I make sure I check in with SR several times throughout the day. And I tell myself that I cannot drink, no matter what. Anything can be a 'trigger' for me if I consider drinking an option. That's not really a plan is it. More a state of mind. I'm supposed to go to a Dharma based recovery meeting tonight. I REALLY don't feel like it. But its on the schedule.....
Old 09-17-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

What happens that makes you decide to walk to the shop and buy more alcohol? Is there something that you can add to your day, working at home, that would help you to avoid drinking?
Old 09-17-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

For me the first 6 months every spare second was taken up with IOP,working, AA, or socializing with people in recovery. There really wasnt anytime to drink.

BTW Sneaking out to drink never works because you know you drank and you are answerable to yourself. Sobriety is yours and yours alone. If we don't own it we are destined to fail
Old 09-17-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Just was wondering you seem more triggered being at home working , but do you - do your work in one specific room . If so what could help is either changing the location in the house . Or if not redecorate your work space , paint , move furniture around so it's not a familiar place to which you drank or triggered .
This helped me cause I would sit at the kitchen table whilst I drank . I got a smaller table & put it in my living room. Sounds strange but it worked
Old 09-17-2015, 06:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If you can't trust yourself, to be alone with yourself without drinking then you need outside help.

For me, the program of AA was a big help. I'm not an AA zealot, and there are parts of the program I don't really follow. But I found the fellowship of other AA members to be an important part of my sobriety because trying to do it by myself just wasn't working very well.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I'll try to get to all the questions.

I used to love my job, it was challenging but now it's so routine and there's 10x more legal paperwork that gives me the absolutely xxxxs.

I'm the best I've been since joining SR in January. I haven't had a hangover in that time but I struggle to stop. I desperately can't go back to where I was

I can get urges late in the day that will last on and off up to 2 hours till I give in.

I've tried AA but it didn't work for me, I don't wish go into that here.

Frickaflip, I'm going to print up what you wrote and stick it on my notice board.

Now looking back at my original post, I was hoping someone had a fool proof method/plan but there is nothing but for me to do the hard yards.

Thanks SB for the links.

Ps Dee how's the house living going?

Thanks everyone, JS
Old 09-18-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you tried AVRT ?
Old 09-18-2015, 05:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi.

The thing that works for me also has worked for millions over the years.
There were and are things I don’t like but in most cases if I use mature healthy thinking I accept things I cannot change. Over the years I proved to myself that doing things I didn’t want to I felt so much better and they were learning changing things in my life.

AA is for people who want it and is not the softest easiest way but very rewarding.

BE WELL
Old 09-18-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Have you tried AVRT ?
Looked up your link and guess what today is Day 2.

Hope to make it a good effort this time.

Thank you
Old 09-18-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

All is fine here thanks James - looks like great weather - have a good sober weekend

D