Notices

I am not going to drink tonight

Old 09-10-2015, 11:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am not going to drink tonight

Well, if anyone remembers my last thread where I stated that my ex business partner had agreed to pay the homeowners, it has taken a turn for the worse again. He has now changed his mind again, he is NOT going to pay. So now we have to go the route of the lawyers.
This is enormously stressful and worrisome for me. It will be costly, hurtful and very stressful.
I had a split second where I thought of going to get wine but that passed immediately when I realized it would do nothing for me.
I suppose the alcoholic in me thinks that it would give me a break for a while that I wouldn't have to think about it. But that is not true, I'd worry about ti the same, probably even more so, drunk. Then I'd wake up with a hangover and still have to face the music, only feeling like **** while I tried to get everything together.
Instead, I will spend some time with my kids watching pointless cartoons, maybe take a bath once they have gone to bed, then go to sleep myself. I'll wake up clear headed and ready to deal with this tomorrow.
The only thing drinking can do for this horrible situation is make it worse.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Sunday, my son totaled a car - thank goodness he was all right, but very - very stressful to deal with = teenager.

Sunday afternoon my adult daughter with children called from 2500 miles away and stated she was considering leaving her husband and was moving back in........(HA!)

My finances are not good, on the "stuff scale" I don't have much to weigh these days.

I've never been happier...........The world will never be perfect, I am so very glad of this - today

It's not that I can't drink, it's that I simply do not want to drink. Even in pain, the universe is more grandiose than what I ever could have imagined. Sober life is real life in all it's glory. Out of pain we grow - with growth there is hope which leads us to a life of faith.

I hope you'll find that peace
Old 09-10-2015, 11:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great words Fly n Buy. I am also not going to drink tonight. Looking forward to a sober sleep and hangover free wakeup tomorrow.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi. I’m sorry things took a turn in the negative direction. Tyr to continue on the sober path as you know the results of saying F..K IT and pick up.
At times like this it’s suggested to talk to a sponsor for breathing room and regaining some peace and direction.

Hang on and BE WELL
Old 09-10-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job Mera. You know nothing good will come from drinking. Nothing at all. Problems are much easier to tackle with a clear head versus when we compound the problem by trying to drink it away.

I tried drinking my problems away for years... all it got me was nearly $1,000,000 in judgments, lost job, and too many financial stresses to post here. But I couldn't be happier today. My family is healthy, we will have food on the table tonight, the fall is approaching, my son has baseball practice tonight, daughter has a dance recital tomorrow and I get to watch pointless cartoons with them Saturday morning... Love it. I can enjoy all of these things because I'm not drinking today.

Stay strong and well done.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, Mera, it is so easy to want to turn to alcohol to get through stressful times, but it just postpones the inevitable. My mom has a saying that has always stuck in my head - "This too shall pass". I haven't been very good at following those sage words, but now that I'm coming out the fog, it's easier to remind myself. Hang in there!
Old 09-10-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good job on thinking the drink thru. Hang close to here if need be. We're here for you 24/7!
Old 09-10-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by CaliButterfly View Post
"This too shall pass".
Notably, elation and happiness should be tempered with troubles as they are opposite side of the same coin. Many relapse due to happiness as well as sorrow or troubles.

Bad or good , indeed - this too shall pass!!
Old 09-10-2015, 12:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words everyone. My lovely boys went to bed calmly and peacefully, I was albe to remain calm myself and give them extra kisses and back rubs (would not have happened had I been drinking) and now I am enjoying a cup of my favorite tea before I call it an early night myself. I took a shower instead of a bath, diring which I realized that it wasn't that I was forcing myself not to drink, I simply don't want to. I'm getting there. I feel like getting from being a raging alcoholic to being a sober alcoholic is like trying to walk through a giant piece of cling wrap. The first times, many of those times the cling wrap has been fresh and strong and I just bounced right back into drinking. But the more times I push forward against the cling wrap, the weaker it gets and I walk further forward each time. I really feel like this is the time that I am going to walk far enough that the cling wrap stretches until it breaks and I make it solidly to the other side. I'm not drinking now and have been walking foreard without drinking for some time, but I know I have firther to go. I've got the energy and determination to keep going though. I'm so thankful for that. Night all! Keep up the good fight, right there with'ya!
Old 09-10-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

God, my post makes me look drunk with all the typos.... Smartphones... ��
Old 09-10-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Don't worry Mera sometimes my posts contains words I didn't intend due to auto spelling

It's not worth the pain & shame of drinking itl get resolved better sober with Mera firing on all cylinders
Old 09-10-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi. As something for all to think about, we alcoholics often can handle situations that are quite stressful but fall apart after facing a few “broken shoe laces, spilt milk, broken egg etc.

The answer is vigilance in all our affairs. Boy did I need that yesterday!

BE WELL
Old 09-10-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Mera, it's too bad that he changed his mind again. Just when you thought things would ease up, he upsets the apple cart. I'm glad that you won't drink over it. So not worth it. You were so upbeat before. This is a setback, but not insurmountable. You can do it!
Old 09-10-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sounds like you played the tape all the way through. Good job! Yea, you would definitely wake up the next morning feeling sick and horribly depressed because the stressful situation would still be there, but now it would still be there with you feeling physically ill and sullen.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for the stress but you're doing great mera

D
Old 09-11-2015, 02:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
Hi. As something for all to think about, we alcoholics often can handle situations that are quite stressful but fall apart after facing a few “broken shoe laces, spilt milk, broken egg etc.

The answer is vigilance in all our affairs. Boy did I need that yesterday!

BE WELL
Fabulous reminder, thank you so much for posting. I am determined to do this right this time, so this reminder will be stocked away. It would be a shame to get through the big stuff and then slip for something minor.