Notices

Memort loss

Old 09-07-2015, 05:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs down Memort loss

I started drinking early yesterday and ended up going out.I have vague memory of being chased out of a bar and i have no idea how I got home,,,,,,this is really freaking me out anything could have happened and I wouldn't even know about it......I stayed clean for 4 months and I really felt good about myself ......now I went messed that all up by binge drinking again and I really feel worthless again .......I hate the person I become when I drink .......I dont really want to join AA .....but I need to do something
Old 09-07-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

4 months clean is amazing.

Unfortunately, you have to want to never drink again.

Until you are ready to never drink again, you will continue this death spiral.

Moderation, for people like me ends up in a negative trending cycle, the ends in a huge binge...or worse...e.g. running a little kid over because I am driving wasted. I was just lucky to have never had a run in with that type of horrible destiny.
Up to you.

When you are ready to quit, the help is waiting here. I believe this site is about abstinence.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is scary huh? I've had some pretty creepy blackouts too. Calling my credit card to track my moves. Ugh. Really bad things can happen. Scared me enough to stop me for two years. But I didn't stay stopped. I haven't had another blackout, yet, but I hope never to experience that again. As a woman it can be particularly dangerous. The good news? We don't ever have to go through this again. Just don't drink. Simple but not always easy. There is a solution though . Hang in there.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have had many nights like that. Usually, I can remember what bar I was at but no more detail than that. Wouldn't know how much I drank, who I talked to, or how long I was there.
Bank statements often gave me a shock as I wonder how I spent all my rent money in one weekend.

Such is the life of an alcoholic. just madness. I do suggest you reach out for help to someobe close to you. You can't do it alone.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Connie

Read around here and post as much as you like - you'll see a number of approaches to recovery. Hopefully you'll find one that suits you.

Glad you've joined us.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so glad you joined us, Connie. You're among people who truly understand.

I began to behave recklessly too - each time it was in my system. I could never be sure I'd stay safe or do the right thing. It changed me into someone I didn't even know. The only way to be sure this didn't happen was to quit. Life is so much better being free of it. I'm glad you're concerned about what it does to you. Good to have you with us.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What is it about AA that keeps you from joining?
Old 09-08-2015, 04:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Connie
Old 09-08-2015, 04:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi connie welcome to SR
Old 09-08-2015, 08:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ok thanks to all the replies its quite overwhelming .......now I just need to deal with this paranoia .....it feels like I shamed myself and I don't want to leave my house as if everyone in my area knows that i am a drunk .....does anyone ever feel they could move somewhere ells and start over?......If only things were that easy .......I have been to an AA meeting once but I am quite an introverted person so standing in front of a bunch of strangers and letting out all shamefull things I have done does not appeal to me at all.....will give this a go on my own again .
Old 09-08-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by connie83 View Post
Ok thanks to all the replies its quite overwhelming .......now I just need to deal with this paranoia .....it feels like I shamed myself and I don't want to leave my house as if everyone in my area knows that i am a drunk .....does anyone ever feel they could move somewhere ells and start over?......If only things were that easy .......I have been to an AA meeting once but I am quite an introverted person so standing in front of a bunch of strangers and letting out all shamefull things I have done does not appeal to me at all.....will give this a go on my own again .
I know the shame you are feeling. It is easy to hide away, and I do that. But I have to pick myself up and force myself to re-enter the world. Go for a walk, pick up groceries, something. It gets easier.

I have moved to change my environment....but somehow I'm always still there And so are my problems. For me facing the consequences of my actions was the only way to move past them.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
under new management

Hi connie83, and welcome!

I have tried moving in the past. Problem is though, that I am my problem and I take myself to my new location and so my drinking problems continue, just in a new location!

I hope you stick around, you are never alone here at SR. There is always someone to bounce things off of, to support you and to hold your hand. I am an introvert, too, so the support system here really works for me.

For me, this is too big to face alone, I take all the help I can get and I hope you will, too!!

Old 09-08-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

There are approaches that can be done on your own that you can read about on here. Maybe have a look in the Secular Recovery sub forum where there's a long thread on AVRT, which is an approach that made sense to me (over 3 months without a drink now).

Good luck with whatever method you try. The key is that you really need to want to make this change, as they all involve putting real work and effort into it. But it will definitely be worth it. A friend I met for lunch today was trying to tempt me into a drink, by saying how much fun I was when drunk. Thing is, there's that fine line between people laughing with you and laughing at you. I don't want to feel that sense of shame any more, trying to remember what I did the night before that other people found so amusing. It actually helped strengthen my resolve to stick to my decision.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hope you are doing better Connie. 4 months demonstrates you have the ability to be sober, wish you the best.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

D122y made a great point of "you have to never want to drink again". It really boils down to you wanting to not do this to yourself anymore. The good news is that you certainly don't have to join AA. It's not for everybody. Your chances will be just as good with it as without it.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by connie83 View Post
...I have been to an AA meeting once but I am quite an introverted person so standing in front of a bunch of strangers and letting out all shamefull things I have done does not appeal to me at all......
OK, so you've been to AN aa meeting ONCE. Who told you you'd have to stand in front of a bunch of strangers and let out all the shameful things you have done; I never had to do that; that's NOT aa.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 09-08-2015, 07:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Connie I hear the shame thing. I have been dry for 13 months now and still feel shame from time to time! What you should realise is that it's not really YOU going round the bars and saying/doing embarrassing things, it is the alcohol. If we accept that alcoholism is a disease then you are an ill person displaying symptoms of that disease. Forgive yourself!

If you did anything truly terrible you would have heard of it by now, most likely you are paranoid due to over consumption. Try not to worry.

Also as a few have said you never, ever have to feel like this again
Old 09-10-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Connie!!